MBP is great! I don't understand the negativity!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Maybe someone can explain to me what all the negativity is all about. If you were to look at all the negative reviews, one would think the new MB and MBP are failures! Shake it off people and wake up. This is good stuff!

They are winners! Why are people so negative? All you can talk about is Matte display and lack of firewire on MB.

What about all the good stuff? Beautiful overall design that goes with the iMac and MBA theme. Everyone seems to love those designs. Superior unibody one piece construction unlike anything on the market. Fit and finish and details unlike anything we've seen. Glass multi-touch trackpad unlike anything on the market. Incredible video with powerful integrated and discrete GPUs...this will blow away any other laptop and a lot of desktops....again unlike anything on the market. User replaceable HD unlike anything on the market.

Do we hear a common theme....UNLIKE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET :)

I for one think Apple did a great job! I have the SR MBP and am thinking of upgrading.

Kan-O-Z

2. MBX macrumors 65816

because it's not all just about looks but content and functionality!

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!

i think that everyone should stop being so fussy and learn that this is the product and it is amazing.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't think that the " non -MAC" people can tell the difference from the previous MBP.. if they're looking from a distance..

experience wise, my friends can't even tell the MBA from the MBP once they're opened.

so, the " unlike anything in the market" might appeal to current MAC owners..

we won't argue that the Macbook is really worth the upgrade.. and the price..
    but the MBP? are you kidding me?
    people will end up buying the high end macbook than go for the base MBP..

the lines are blurry to distinguish the MB from the MBP..

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Sorry but some of us have better standards and expectations.

6. martinmartin macrumors 6502

i think a lot of people arent going to want a 13 inch screen...even if it saves them a couple hundred bucks.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it has 1066mhz DDR3 and a GDDR3 GPU, you can upgrade to an SSD HD and looks amazing!! not everything is on the outside. i hate what your reaction is going to be when SL comes out!

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i'd prefer the same boxy appearance with a far improvement in specs any given day!

9. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Content and functionality:

New glass trackpad
    Very powerful video (dual GPUs)
    Extended battery life (up to 5 hours)
    Easy replaceable HD (without voiding warranty)
    More durable,lighter

Funny thing is, this is the stuff people complained about with the old MBP...Video and hard to replace HD. They answered and all we hear is no Matte!

Note all the stuff listed is not cosmetic but actual 'content and functionality'

Kan-O-Z

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I completely agree with the OP. Everyone completely hypes these events up to much more than they could possibly be in reality, and then gets angry and blames Apple for not making their own personal fantasies come true.

11. Coldwater macrumors member

I'm perfectly happy with my purchase, I think that people raised their expectations to unrealistic heights. Dropping a Firewire port may suck for someone who needs it, but I personally: A) Never have B) Use a external for any color work and C) Am looking forward to the bump a 2.8 Ghz dual core processor will bring over my 2.0 Ghz, five year old single core Athlon 2800.

12. bkeezy macrumors newbie

gloss looks great for movies and consumer level related activities agreed, try to do advanced color work on it and see what you get...

pro = professional

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Glass pad might not work for everybody, a great innovation maybe, but might not be the best.
    Graphics are not as powerful as they should be, we should have more options, oh and you have to logout to switch between the cards.

Matte and a single FW port IS a big deal to people that use those features, so when they complain about the feature that they care about, it makes sense.

14. Subiklim macrumors 6502

If you're doing advanced color work on an LCD display, I don't even know what to say to you.

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

I think the new MacBooks and MBPs are great, I'll be picking up the baseline MBP.

16. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

The difference between USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 is debatable. The reality is that most devices on the market to work with USB 2.0. Now if USB 2.0 is not good enough for you, I really don't think Firewire 400 is going to do it for you. You'll need FW 800 that is on the pro model just like it's always been! It makes sense.

How about the fact that the MB is now thinner and smaller than the old one, yet more powerful. That's a big deal believe it or not. People pay insane premiums for size and weight.

Kan-O-Z

17. bkeezy macrumors newbie

Hmm lets see.. whats the alternative? Bring my 24in display everywhere i travel? I got a lot of color intensive work done on my powerbook g4 ( a matte screen ). Thats why I am in the market for a professional grade laptop, so its portable...

18. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

The MacBook Pro had a decent update, although I would have liked a little more at baseline. As is, the only improvement is a faster, better GPU, and an extended multi-touch trackpad. There's obviously more options as you get higher, and the 2.8GHz MBP sounds great.

What really disappointed me was the MacBook. I was considering upgrading my Merom SR MBP to a 2.5GHz MacBook, which would presumably have been ~$1300. Instead, the specs were slashed, not the price.

19. Aranince macrumors 65816

Can't you calibrate glossy screens to account for the saturated colors?

20. -kumar- macrumors member

i think they are amazing, but still slightly disappointed.
    you see, steve jobs has a habit of creating a new design, and carrying it through all the other products.
    in this case, its the curvyness or the "Tapering". it started with the ipod touch. then went to the air. and now it spread to the macbook/macbook pros.
    these designs now look the same...

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would like to choose my screen.
    With out firewire 400 I can not use my audio interface, external hard drives, or the DSPs for my high end audio plug ins. Sure I could go out and get new firewire or USB2 hard drives (I think one has USB2) but for things like audio interfaces once you have them intgrated into your system you really don't want to go out and get another one to configure. And for the audio DSPs, well currently it is firewire400, even if another one comes out I have already sunk over $4000 on DSP and software. I don't feel like spending another $4000.
    It is already hard enough for me to click the mouse. I have to take two fingers and firmly press right in the middle of the button or it will not work. Last thing I want is for them to make the whole thing a clicker that will not work.
    Honestly I throw up when I saw the thing, (I was already not feeling well) but the thing is ugly.
    Finally I don't like typing on the chicklet style keyboard. Using a lot of short cuts a mistake in typing can spell disaster.

Not a fan of magnetic lids, but as long as it does stay closed I don't really mind.

Now I do like the extended battery. I wish they would have included those batteries with the other MBPs. Honestly a bigger battery means more battery power. Thats a good thing.

22. Coldwater macrumors member

USB 2.0 is a glacier compared even to Firewire 400, the CPU load ensures the speed stays FAR below burst specs.

Then again, I've never really used Firewire all that much, so take that for what you will...

23. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

not to a professional scale that would be standard for a graphic designer or photographer etc.

I fully admit that I take the new MBP's negatively. they have taken the pro out of macbook pro.

Don't get me wrong, the new GPU sounds awesome, better body, longer battery life, better ram, replaceble HDD. But this is useless to creative professionals without the option of a matte screen.

Its nothing picky, its a requirement.

24. Subiklim macrumors 6502

What exactly do you do?

25. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude this happens EVERYTIME Apple releases something new. So just ignore it and it will pass in a week or so.