Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
The difference between USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 is debatable. The reality is that most devices on the market to work with USB 2.0. Now if USB 2.0 is not good enough for you, I really don't think Firewire 400 is going to do it for you. You'll need FW 800 that is on the pro model just like it's always been! It makes sense.

How about the fact that the MB is now thinner and smaller than the old one, yet more powerful. That's a big deal believe it or not. People pay insane premiums for size and weight.

Kan-O-Z

It is not debatable, FW is faster in real-world performance. Audio equipment, harddrives, and miniDV cameras. Those are not USB unfortunately. :(

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I'd be willing to bed that 99% of the time, end user's screens are not calibrated at all. Unless you are doing print work, there is no reason to calibrate your screen.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
gloss looks great for movies and consumer level related activities agreed, try to do advanced color work on it and see what you get...

pro = professional

yes ok that is fair enough, buy your own matte screen and replace it yourself :p of buy the 17" while it still lasts.

The MacBook Pro had a decent update, although I would have liked a little more at baseline. As is, the only improvement is a faster, better GPU, and an extended multi-touch trackpad. There's obviously more options as you get higher, and the 2.8GHz MBP sounds great.

What really disappointed me was the MacBook. I was considering upgrading my Merom SR MBP to a 2.5GHz MacBook, which would presumably have been ~$1300. Instead, the specs were slashed, not the price.

ONLY a decent upgrade???

the RAM speed has increased dramatically, it is MUCH faster than many other laptops out there today, the GPU is a substantial increase, the fact that it has both integrated graphics and a dedicated GPU makes way for SL, in a few months time that will play a MASSIVE role in the overall performance and battery life of the computer.

yes it is SUCH a crappy upgrade.... :rolleyes:

I would like to choose my screen.
With out firewire 400 I can not use my audio interface, external hard drives, or the DSPs for my high end audio plug ins. Sure I could go out and get new firewire or USB2 hard drives (I think one has USB2) but for things like audio interfaces once you have them intgrated into your system you really don't want to go out and get another one to configure. And for the audio DSPs, well currently it is firewire400, even if another one comes out I have already sunk over $4000 on DSP and software. I don't feel like spending another $4000.
It is already hard enough for me to click the mouse. I have to take two fingers and firmly press right in the middle of the button or it will not work. Last thing I want is for them to make the whole thing a clicker that will not work.
Honestly I throw up when I saw the thing, (I was already not feeling well) but the thing is ugly.
Finally I don't like typing on the chicklet style keyboard. Using a lot of short cuts a mistake in typing can spell disaster.

Not a fan of magnetic lids, but as long as it does stay closed I don't really mind.

Now I do like the extended battery. I wish they would have included those batteries with the other MBPs. Honestly a bigger battery means more battery power. Thats a good thing.

i too have a whole bunch of FW400 drives and peripherals, i am quite dissapointed by the fact that they have outlawed it. i am hoping that there is a backwards compatibility cable between FW800 to FW400.

i like the design, the black edge around the screen makes it stand out and highlights the computer as a whole.

as for the keyboard....i agree... icky!!

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
I'd be willing to bed that 99% of the time, end user's screens are not calibrated at all. Unless you are doing print work, there is no reason to calibrate your screen.

There really is no reason to calibrate a LCD at all, since it will never be truly accurate. I understand people crying foul over the reflections of the glossy display (though even that can be mitigated), but I don't understand the people who are complaining about the color reproduction. These so-called "professionals" should know that their work does not belong on an LCD at all.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
If I were to give the new Macbook a letter grade, it would be a solid B. That would include the A I give it on industrial design and C I give it on not having firewire and charging a little too much for it.

To get an A in my book, shave off $100 dollars or more, and have a firewire port in it. But by no means is the new Macbook a "failure".

The last time they hit a home run was with several of the iPod and iPhone models and judging from their market share in those markets, those are Apple's A-list products.

bkeezy

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Chicago, IL
What exactly do you do?

I'm a web developer and a lot of times I end up doing a good amount of design for clients also. Any work I have ever done on a glossy screen (and we had them in college, i have no idea why) ends up looking way off on crt/matte monitors. I realize that often I have to compromise for those with glossy screens but I would much prefer to do my work on matte. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the new design.

I have no other problems with any other new features, I am just so frustrated that Apple would simply write off the (at minimum) 10% of people that feel the same way I do. I'm assuming here but seems like they are betting on making up the margin of lost professionals, who consider matte a requirement, in the wider consumer market. To me this is giving the finger to those people who have been the core users of their products for many years. IMHO of course ;)

Coldwater

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
i too have a whole bunch of FW400 drives and peripherals, i am quite dissapointed by the fact that they have outlawed it. i am hoping that there is a backwards compatibility cable between FW800 to FW400.

They do. It is perfectly ok to daisy chain a few Firewire 400 devices though I wouldn't stick something as demanding as a camcorder and a external drive together.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i guess a lot of the negativity comes from the fact that counterintuitive decisions were made.

why drop one FW port?
why no giving a matte option?
why only two USB ports?
why all ports on one side?
why the high price points?
why this extra small display port?

in the end i think it is a great notebook. it has a number of great features and as soon as the people who are affected by the points above stop venting their anger you will get generally good feedback unless there are quality issues.

however the point remains: apple left out features that are important to many people in order to save a few dollar production cost. so people are upset.

another reason for the negativity is that apples strategy shifts from pro computers more towards high end stylish consumer products. it's clearly a high end product but not everyone likes that.

hello-im-mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
If you're doing advanced color work on an LCD display, I don't even know what to say to you.

you are way behind the times. you obviously haven't seen inside some of the top design companies.

pantone certified cinema displays, matt macbook pros for location photography and visiting clients or working from home, not a glossy screen insight.

I'll tell you what to say... NOTHING. Stay out of what you quite clearly don't know about.

Fogtripper

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
New glass trackpad

I prefer real buttons. This is why I do not use the mighty mouse.

Very powerful video (dual GPUs)

Never felt lacking in that department. Of course I don't really need it in that capacity. More like Adobe CS and Dreamweaver. Capture NX and Photoshiop run fine on even my long in the tooth 1.67GHz and no doubt even better with my forthcoming 2.5Ghz/512MB graphics MBP Refurb.

Extended battery life (up to 5 hours)

Isn't that a side-grade to the current models?

Easy replaceable HD (without voiding warranty)

External drives. I would rather that option than trusting all of my data on a internal laptop HD. Again, not a real issue.

More durable,lighter

Less cheetos and more fresh air and that is not an issue. Who actually had an issue with the weight of the "old" MBP? How much weight are we talking about? As far as durability is concerned, this goes back to the "rather not have all data on laptop" I mention above.

Funny thing is, this is the stuff people complained about with the old MBP...Video and hard to replace HD. They answered and all we hear is no Matte!

Note all the stuff listed is not cosmetic but actual 'content and functionality'

Kan-O-Z

You are missing the point. For pro users, there is little compelling about the new model. Nothing you listed is a factor for me, and I handle pretty durned huge projects. On top of that, I personally think it is butt ugly.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Although I prefer matte screens myself, Apple is just "going with the times". Walk into Best Buy. Every single laptop (except the MacBook Pro old gen) pretty much has a glossy display. Apple is not omitting the matte to spite us. They're just doing what they think most people right, and yes, most people want glossy. Otherwise every other notebook manufacturer wouldn't be making screens glossy!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Dude this happens EVERYTIME Apple releases something new. So just ignore it and it will pass in a week or so.

True that. I know I have been doing my far share for complaining, but it will pass. For the people who like the new line, great. Honestly if it works for you and your satisfied what other people think is irrelevant. The same way the person next to me does not like Macs at all. Well I do so, what he thinks is irrelevant. Honestly though I don't think he really dislikes macs I am just making a point.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
however the point remains: apple left out features that are important to many people in order to save a few dollar production cost. so people are upset.

The main reason I can see people complaining is because certain aspects of the MBP have gone backwards (no anti-glare option, no FW400), just to save cost or because that's what a lot of younger people and Windows users are used to.

Yes, some people say to stop complaining about there being no anti glare screen option, but users previously had a choice, and now they don't.

bkeezy

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Chicago, IL
Although I prefer matte screens myself, Apple is just "going with the times". Walk into Best Buy. Every single laptop (except the MacBook Pro old gen) pretty much has a glossy display. Apple is not omitting the matte to spite us. They're just doing what they think most people right, and yes, most people want glossy. Otherwise every other notebook manufacturer wouldn't be making screens glossy!

Although that is definitely what they're doing it's just less than i used to expect from them. Apple is not exactly every other computer company, isnt that one reason we like them? Another thing to consider in your equation though is glossy = cheaper...

PeteXVR

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
I once heard about a company that after releasing a new product would pay some people to keep on riding the NY subways while talking out loud about how good that product was... some sort of guerrilla marketing tactic.
I can only wonder if the opposite could also happens... you know... not that anyone would do that but hypothetically if there was another theoretical company which would have imaginary reasons to dislike Apple, they could pay some people (or even mind bribe them with goodies) to post around bad reviews of a new Apple product on its launch day. Once the first posts were to be negative, it would not be difficult for real people to get restrained by the same focus.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I don't have any clue about screen calibration on the pros and how that works. But couldn't you just get a matte screen protector like they make for the iPhones? You know the static cling ones and use that? If those don't exist already then I will start a company to begin production so that I can appease all of the "pro" users.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Despite all the attention and hype given to the new "brick" process saving 50% of the materials used and all, anybody notice that the new MBP not only fails to be lighter, it's slightly heavier? The footprint is also larger.

Old: 14.1 x 9.6", 5.4 pounds
New: 14.35 x 9.82", 5.5 pounds

It's not huge and it wouldn't stop me buying one but I wonder what the advances in the design are for apart from the rigidity.

answer348

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
Here's why the negativity (ripped from an earlier thread):

-Is it any thinner or lighter?
---Not really.

-Is it better looking?
---Maybe, but not by much.

-Is it any faster (processing)?
---Probably, but not by much.

-Is it any more powerful (gpu)?
---Probably, but not by much.

-Any ground breaking features?
---Not really. Glass trackpad could be great, but brings along the negative of not having a dedicated button. New keyboard brings both positives and negatives. Glossy screen issue has been over-discussed.

-Reduced price?
---Not really.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
you are way behind the times. you obviously haven't seen inside some of the top design companies.

pantone certified cinema displays, matt macbook pros for location photography and visiting clients or working from home, not a glossy screen insight.

I'll tell you what to say... NOTHING. Stay out of what you quite clearly don't know about.

I do consulting with JWT. I can tell you right now that any one of their designers would be fired if caught doing color correction on a laptop LCD.

duykur

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Apple omitted Matte displays because very few people were using the. Any company will drop a feature if 5% of it's "PRO" users order it, it just wastes money to place different orders and manufacture double the devices only to have one not sell. face it, the public wants a glossy screen because it looks better.

as for firewire 400, just buy an adaptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.