Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
Macbook looks as expected, Macbook pro is a dissapointment

From a marketing point of view i think Apple missed it with the looks of the new MBP. It is a machine for professional use that now has a 'consumer-level look and feel', even though its specs are good. It just looks too similar to the Macbook, too much iMac.
A more clear difference in design, not just in specs, would not have caused so much discussion on the subject as it has now.

And i still think a matte screen must be an option.

If i had to buy one now i'd choose the old MBP model.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm disappointed because this wasn't an upgrade for the Macbook Pro. (The Macbook is, but I'm not interested in it.)

It's basically the exact same amount of performance as it had before. Plus still no Blu Ray. I wanted a GPU upgrade, and Blu Ray...and I probably would have settled for just Blu Ray.

The only really good thing I can say is it finally has a user replaceable drive, which is LONG overdue.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
2 usb are clearly insufficient :your ipod/iphone, mouse, camera, pendrive, portable hd or memory reader.

The problem with the "new" design is too Vaio.

How about too "manager" Really, it really looks like these things are not meant to appeal to professionals anymore unless that professional is a manager. Glossy screens and glossy full page ads, hmmm....

I am really glad that Apple released a new MBP I don't want. Now I can use the money for something else. Though I may pick up the MB simply because it truly got an update to where it is baseline usable.

wcalderini

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
Seriously.
I've been in the business for over 25 years and I was part of the transition
that went "digital" in the first place, so I'm gonna toss my 2 cents out there.
First, there is no "perfect" system.
When it comes to colors and screens, it's ALL a matter of compromise and adjustment. Even CRT's can't provide a perfect consistent color match across the spectrum. Something is ALWAYS going to be slightly off.
I'm typing this from a 2 month old 15 inch MacBook pro with a matte screen.
At home I use a 20 inch iMac with a glossy screen.
Are there differences? Sure.
Is any of it a dealbreaker? Of course not.
That's why companies like pantone are still in business. That is the criteria
you use for your color standard. Even along the EXACT same monitors with
the exact same specs and calibrations there are going to be differences in color reproduction. That's just the nature of the game.
One is NOT any better than the other. How you DEAL WITH IT is your mark as an experienced professional.
People.
Calibration software DOES exist. You have the ability and the tools to make your screen, your colors, and your user experience pretty much just what you need them to be.
It took me about a day after getting my iMac to "see through" the gloss on the screen. In my mind it is not even there anymore when I sit down to work on it. White balance. Gamma. Saturation. There are tools to make this work. And keep in mind that this IS just a tool we are talking about.
The computer is just a means to the end, not the end in itself, and if whatever talent you possess can be derailed by a "shine" or a "bezel" than I seriously doubt your graphic capabilities to begin with.
People USED to be capable of producing dazzling and brilliant full color work using nothing but a 9 inch CRT black and white screen and their imaginations. (Or to go even further back, Pantone marker comps and type speccing for you old timers)
All this whining? Is just whining.
Just another reason to complain that YOUR Santa Clause did not fulfill YOUR particular needs.
If you don't like the new Macs, don't buy them.
Apple owes me nothing and I don't "expect" or "deserve" anything from them. The last transaction I made with them was the last transaction I made with them. I bought a tool to get my work done. I am happy with that tool.
They are in no way obligated to bend to my wishes or court my desires on ANY future tools or services. If I don't like what they have to offer, I'll look elsewhere. Last time I checked most every application I use as a graphic designer is available cross platform.
What I PAY for is the user experience and the reliability of the tool I am using. In that, FOR ME, Apple HAS delivered, and from what I see from the new machines, CONTINUE to deliver, pound for pound, the best, easiest and most convenient means for me to produce the materials I need to produce to make my living. If they ever stop providing that for ME, I'll stop using them.
Nothing in this recent up date "breaks" that.

What galls me is all the "experts" that come on here claiming to speak for graphic professionals as a whole. If there was an election, I must have missed it. Last time I checked, it was still a matter of individual choice.

What's professional? The individual, not the tool.
Let's act like it.

WRC

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Yes it looks great, but what about functionality?
Having to logout to switch graphics. LAME
Having gloss only. LAME
No distinction between Macbook and MacbookPro. LAME

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Yes it looks great, but what about functionality?
Having to logout to switch graphics. LAME
Having gloss only. LAME
No distinction between Macbook and MacbookPro. LAME

Personally the logout to switch graphics thing dosen't bother me. I mean you just plain don't switch graphics on the older model at all. Besides, Vista does it on the fly, so maybe Apple's next OS will too.

I kind of like them looking the same, because I like the look, and don't like the artificial distinction between the models. Now it's really just 13" is smaller and a bit less powerful because it's smaller.

I just hate the lack of Blu Ray and want a better GPU. How about a 9800GTX + integrated graphics :) That would give even more reason to shut down the main GPU when not in use (although actually Nvidia's newer hardware has amazing power saving abilities when not being pushed...at least the GTX280/260 do...they fall below MUCH lower end hardware when not in use, on the desktop side).

Stebus

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Great words.

I have to say, I'm glad someone is adult enough to make a post with real substance. Thank you.

I just want to make something perfectly clear, don't blame Apple for not making the most amazing machine they have the potential to make; blame our currency based economy. It doesn't allow for the greatest technology to be highly accessible because that isn't profitable, simple as that. It's funny how people blame corporations for trying to make money and not serving their consumers needs all the time; corporations are just a byproduct of this corrupt system. Oh well, lets all just keep living in servitude, doing our 9-5's for that pretty paper that we like to believe has value.

Anywho, back to the laptops. I think people seem to misunderstand that Pro can also simply mean better, (Perhaps we'll see Apple enter the sub-notebook field with the Macbook Noob? ;) ) not just 'for professionals'. I think that's what Apple has done, they've simply made a better Macbook. Obviously I'm not going to get into any of these silly 'debates' (more like temper tantrums) but it's quite clear that they are aggressively going after the consumers they think will make them the most money. Mac's are a niche market, Apple knows that and that's why they are moving towards the iPod and iPhone markets because they have a much broader appeal. I find it humourous when people talk about how Apple should be trying to make more inroads into Microsoft's monopoly because it's not going to happen. People will buy a piece of crap Dell simply because it runs Windows, (and also because it is cheap but that's not the point) they are afraid of change. If Microsoft didn't have a monopoly perhaps we would see truly great OS innovation from a wide variety of vendors.. but i digress.

Have any of you actually sat back and thought about what you are getting angry about? Yes you may be disappointed, yes you may want to vent your frustrations, but come on. Why aren't you focusing on innovation? Why do you want to go back to something that you think does it better? Why not try and invent a screen with perfect colour correction? Why can't we make this? You'll find the answer always comes back to money. Get rid of money and you get rid of all your problems.

Just a different point of view for you to consider.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.