[Merged] 64GB for next-gen iPhone (2010 / 4th Gen)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VenusianSky, Sep 10, 2009.

?

We will get a 64GB iPhone this year?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. Yes

67.8%
  2. No

32.2%
  1. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Hopefully the new iPod Touch capacity is a sign that the next iPhone will be available in 64GB.

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Not for a while. The iPod touch has two flash chips (32GB x 2). The iPhone only has room for one. It means there will be a 128GB iPod touch when a 64GB iPhone becomes available. :)

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

3 generations of iphone and apple has doubled the capacity each time. next year we'll probably have new flash chips which are twice as dense and double storage on iphones as well as a few other features

4. Apple Guru macrumors member

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We won't see a 64GB iPhone next year. Probably until 2011. Reason is 32GB NAND Flash chips just went into production and Apple is sucking the industry dry of these babies. Samsung, the chip maker, is going to keep cashing in for a while on 32GB and then when sales dwindle release the 64GB chips. Which is very likely to happen in 2011.

So a storage bump is not likely to happen anytime soon.

6. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Whenever I get a new iPod or iPhone I always like to double my memory (See signature, right to left :)), however a 64GB iPhone would seal the deal and set me up for a long time. :)

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

My personal opinion is that we'll have some sort of physical redesign next year, and the capacities will stay the same. I think a re-design is overdue, especially with Apple's history. The iPhone is one of the most elegant electronics I've ever used though, and can't really imagine it better, but I'll leave that to Ive.

8. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

64GB would be the best thing EVER! I didnt even buy into the iPhone the first round because i needed alot of space. Now that we have a 32GB i cant wait for a 64GB. :D

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Heck, a 32GB iPhone would set me up for a long time. How much music you got?

10. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

This, basically (although I think there's a small chance that we'll see larger capacity iPhones in 2010).

The 32GB iPhone only came out because Samsung (?) basically started shipping chips that contained twice the memory capacity. There's only a certain amount of physical space in the iPhone, and so the only way to increase capacity is to use chips that hold more. The touch has twice the memory capacity of the iPhone because the touch isn't a cellphone (take out the cellphone circuitry, and the space can be used to hold more memory).

12. 3247 macrumors regular

Apple could also make other parts smaller in order to fit two flash chips.

The iPhone is still missing two features that are essential for any other smartphone at this pricepoint: LED or xenon flash and a front-facing camera. They might have to make room for those, too.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

True, but the flash chip is relatively huge. I suppose that Apple could make the next iPhone slightly thicker, to hold an additional chip and larger battery, but that would go against what they've typically done with new releases. On the other hand, Apple needs major new features for each iPhone release, and so a flash-capable processor (which might need a larger battery) would also make possible sense.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

This.

15. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

How about an OLED screen? It's thinner than LCD and requires less battery. OLED may not be able to balance the cost though, if Apple were to increase the memory capacity.

16. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Only about 12GB, but lots of video :) Also, assuming a 64GB iPhone had video with a 5MP Camera...

Thats a lot of memory for video recording. And actually a lot of free space :D

I think on the 3G S it's about 30MB a minute for video? Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

17. JUSTQUAN macrumors member

i would like to see that... 64gb iphone. i have an ipod touch so all of my music basically goes on there. i only have 200 or so tracks on the iphone. knowing me i would get it more than likely. better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....

also i do have quite a few games on the iphone. being at a lady friends house or stuck in an office somewhere im always playing a game. that takes up most of my space(1.27gb)

18. lollicup macrumors regular

done

19. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Does anyone else feel like 64 GB may be overkill? I'd rather the extra costs be designated to a higher megapixel camera.

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

actually looking at the trends, the storage capacities double every OTHER year
    the 3G iPhone was released in 8 and 16 gig versions, but before that, the original iPhone was available in a 16gig version (a few months after its release), so the 3G brought a redesign, no capacity bump.

Next year, trends would suggest its due for a redesign and no capacity bump

21. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

32 is all I need. Just means I won't have to get the most expensive model next summer. :D

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm pretty sure if there was a 64gb iPhone you would see Jesus Christ himself in the AT&T store....that said it would be the ultimate device. I mean 32 is pretty big I remember when I first got my video in 30 and I had trouble filling it up...I have WAY more videos now but still.

23. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Next iPhone:

64GB
    Improved Camera
    OLED screen
    Dual Core Processor
    Case Redesign
    Front Facing Camera?
    T-Mobile? other carriers?

Easiest way to lower the cost is to remove some of the lesser features of the current model (i.e. compass and oleophobic screen). I'd much rather have some of the features above then a freakin compass!

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I doubt other carriers but I believe 16 and 32 will be standard. They don't seem to keep up with capacities of the Touch.

25. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I doubt it. But it'd be nice. I'd want other features before even more storage.