Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
But at least you have the option to pay that. Or you at least know the system can hold that much and you can get third party ram and a SSD else where. <snip>
I see your point.

Providing options costs Apple or any other manufacturer. By having fewer product lines with fewer options, Apple can bring products to market at a cheaper price. IMHO, this allows the customer to get a decent solution for a reasonable price.

This is so much better than the early days when Apple products were so much more expensive than comparable PCs. So I don't mind a more limited selection. :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Actually the MacWorld 1997 keynote when Steve returned he made it clear that Apple was about CHOICE. Just YouTube " MacWorld 1997" and the full keynote will show up.

I haven't watched that one recently (although may look it up again one of these days) and don't know in what context he spoke about 'choice' - I'd be very surprised if he was talking about increasing the number of product choices and configuration options. Anyway, with regard to their product line up, Apple is about simple and limited choices. Should be pretty obvious that this is part of their fundamental strategy. That's just how it is. :)

djspazy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Hi Fr4c. Thanks for the review. It really helped me make a decision. I was also seriously considering a Vaio Z and the new 15" MBP. What it came down to was identifying the Pros/Cons of each laptop, and then seeing which set of Pros really fit me more.

Equal in:
Processor performance
Memory
Price

Vaio Z - Pros:
Lighter, smaller
Better graphics card
Ability to switch between the graphics cards

MBP 15" - Pros:
Better display
Better battery life
Better trackpad
More OS options

The main appeal of the Vaio Z to me was the size. I currently own a 3 year old MBP 15", which I love. But I've taken it with me traveling from time to time and I noticed it is somewhat big and clunky and heavy. As a power user and a gamer, I will use the graphics card to the fullest. I actually really like the ability to physically switch between integrated and discrete graphics. If I'm traveling and I switch to integrated and force out the longer battery life. I'm a little hesitant to use automated software controlled switching. Apple is using their own software, and I've read mixed reviews on it. Since this is very new, I'm wondering if this will be a problem on the Windows side, and if Nvidia or Apple has a driver that does the equivalent switching. I've also read mixed reviews on Nvidia's Optimus software. I'd really like to have complete control of the switching, which the Vaio Z can offer.

The main appeal of the MBP 15" is better design. As I said, I already own a 15" MBP, and the screen is great. I tried out the the keyboard and trackpad in the Apple store and they're good (although I kind of prefer the old keyboard that my MBP has). The aluminum unibody is so nice. Plus Apple does summer promotions where they throw in a free iPod touch.

So now that I've listed their Pros, I need to see which set of pros are more important to me.
The Vaio Z is smaller and lighter, which is great. But now that I think about it, I don't actually travel that much with my computer. I might go on vacation one week in a year, but I may or may not bring my computer. I live at school, but from time to time will visit home. I might use my computer in different rooms. Basically the smaller footprint and weight is a plus that I don't really need. Having an extra 2 pounds won't really hinder my use of the computer. The benefit for having those 2 extra pounds is a much better screen and battery life.

The keyboard and trackpad don't really mean much to me. I tried the Vaio Z keyboard in a store, and it was fine. The MBP one is better, but it's not the deal maker. I usually have a mouse with me, but if I'm truly mobile, I won't be doing something that requires a super accurate trackpad. The Vaio Z trackpad isn't a deal break for me.

So basically the only reason I would get a Vaio Z is because it's smaller, and has a better graphics card. But after reading your review, it seems the graphics performance is basically the same. And the MBP's 5 lbs is still portable enough that it's not a problem. I'm a little iffy on the graphics switching, but there haven't been any serious problems reported. So without a doubt I'm going with the MBP. Looks like once you switch to Apple, you never look back.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...Does it have the cheap, plasticy feel that's synonymous with Windows machines?...

...actually the Z series was originally made with Carbon fiber casings, pretty sure they still are...

Personally, I will never own another Sony laptop as my then 3 month old Sony PCG-TR3a was originally a $2149.00 sub 3 lbs notebook ~8 years ago at this point and I was traveling in the USA looking in Sony stores trying to find an extra OEM battery... I was told my model was obsolete since the new TX series was being released the "next week" so they had no more batteries for my model... then a couple years later I wanted to upgrade the internal Toshiba 40Gb HDD and Sony support emailed me stating they couldn't tell me any info about "3rd party" unsupported upgrades and would recommend if I wanted a larger HDD I should buy the new current laptop with the 100Gb HDD installed...which by the way was also a Toshiba HDD of the same form factor and connection type...

Sony customer support is really poor...

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
it looks nice but the added features to me arent worth the extra 800 bucks. im not a power user. a c2d is fine for me. all i do is use chrome and download stuff. my pentium 4 hackintosh with just 1 gig of ram is good enuff for me. plus it has windows. its not that bad (im using it rite now) but it aint that good either. but if it can be hackintoshed and the extra features are worth it to you i say go for it.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
It's a VAIO which means, there is a resale market, and there is someone who will fix it.

As for your critique of the Windows OS, whilst you may prefer Snow Leopard, Win 7 is not a "negative" for many users, it is a matter of personal tastes.

The plastic feel of a windows boxes is somewhat alleviated by VAIO design, well some vaio designs, but I don't like it, so I agree with you on that point.

Have they used thicker aluminum? Because the Vaio laptop I had 2-3 years ago had crappy thin aluminum. And the resell of that machine was <50% for what I paid for it a year after I bought it. The machine had a chintzy feel to it, but outwardly it did look better than the standard black/dull gray plastic laptop.

If they have gotten better, then good...

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
Do they still have that stupid Sony memory stick in it? Or have they finally realized not many use it or care about it with SDHC, etc.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Do they still have that stupid Sony memory stick in it?

Ha! I hope not. :p I still have a few of those lying around from the time when I unwillingly bought into that whole ecosystem (Sony F-505 camera & pcg-sr1k laptop, circa year 2000 ). On the other hand, the laptop already had an "i.link" interface, so I could use the iPod with it, even before it was released for PCs.

9b3e6e0da6299cd27cb76fb29213c156.png

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Not gonna Lie, I just read the specs and options on the Viao Z and I must say theta computer alone makes the MacBook Air and Pro a Joke.

The Z can have:

512SSD

8GB Ram

It has the 330GT but with 1GB of Vram and Intel Graphics standard

Core i5 or i7

A 1680-1900 display standard

3lbs

And it has all the ports and Blu Ray all the whiners complain the Air doesn't have.

The 13inch Z series laptop Makes Apple entire lineup look dated or just lacking with more CHOICE and options for the consumer.

I thought apple was about CHOICE for the consumer, if I want a 512SSD in a MacBook Air and that option will cost 1500 then let me do so. At least give us the choice.
This brings to mind a couple of thoughts. First the top of the line i7 Vaio Z, equipped as you stated, goes for $4,799.99, which makes the MBA sound like a bargain, at least to me. Also, Apple is about anything but choice. Apple offers a limited lineup of products, which do the jobs they were designed for admirably. If you need something Apple doesn't offer, though, good luck.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
2ae751c75fdbec7f87ad04f21bd47e20.png

It's like browsing through the periodic table over there :rolleyes:

And what's up with all of the superfluous Flash animations as well as still content... :mad:

They do have some very nice looking models though. :cool:

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Nothing really its just next summer it will be 2 years old and I planned to buy a new computer for college anyway and saw the Z today and just thought it looked great and it specs were excellent. The reviews rate it as the best 13" notebook out there.

Specs aren’t everything. If it runs windows and is made of plastic, I don’t care if its the fastest computer in the world. Well, maybe thats a bit extreme, but you get the point.

granny shifter

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
The Vaio Z is not made of plastic. It is considered the business man's laptop for those who can afford it. The clientele it is catering to can write off these laptops.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Where, where?

Well just before the vaio Z12 was released, the Z11 (same specs just called by a different name) could be had for $1999 plus $200 rebate actually from tigerdirect.com

The deal is gone now though. I was looking at a thread from the notebookforums and someone gave a link a month ago.

Of course this is the i5 model minus the bluray drive and only with the 128GBx1 SSD drive option with the non hi resolution (well still high resolution of the 1600x900 display).

I was very close in ordering that vaio from tigerdirect BUT the whole time in the back of my head I was thinking, "but there's no OSX..". So I didnt, LOL.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
You have control of the graphics card on the mbp too, and its on the fly switching on the mbp too.

The difference I would see would be that the MBP doesn't really give you that control - it decides automatically, and there's specifically no way to, for example, run only on integrated graphics (if you wanted to extend battery life). By comparison, the Z lets you use only integrated, only dedicated, or the hybrid mode where it switches automatically as needed (similar to NVidia Optimus).

pjcforpres2020

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
The difference I would see would be that the MBP doesn't really give you that control - it decides automatically, and there's specifically no way to, for example, run only on integrated graphics (if you wanted to extend battery life). By comparison, the Z lets you use only integrated, only dedicated, or the hybrid mode where it switches automatically as needed (similar to NVidia Optimus).

You can pick and lock in which one you want with the mbp as well.

aslocum

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Germany

you can always stay on intel or nvidia or dynamic with gfxcardstatus

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Well just before the vaio Z12 was released, the Z11 (same specs just called by a different name) could be had for $1999 plus $200 rebate actually from tigerdirect.com

The deal is gone now though. I was looking at a thread from the notebookforums and someone gave a link a month ago.

Of course this is the i5 model minus the bluray drive and only with the 128GBx1 SSD drive option with the non hi resolution (well still high resolution of the 1600x900 display).

So, not that better and somewhat more expensive (while being significantly thicker). Helluva deal really compared to the MBA :rolleyes:

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Sony has to be ecstatic that Apple doesn't have a head on competitor to the Z.

The 13" MBP add's 1.5 lbs in weight, and lacks hdmi port, one less usb port, no i5/i7, no discrete graphics with auto or manual switching...

The MBA well it's just dated.

iPad fever, now iPhone flu, iDon't like this :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.