Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I'm wondering if there is a protocol that allows the "Messages" app (or it's backbone structure) to be allowed to be run on ichat? Just like the old imessage was able to run on ichat when 10.8 came out.

I would like to have my powerbook do more other than run itunes in the background or to always run and see if my mac pro has new messages. Sure messages runs on my iphone but i want to see if i can try to hack something onto my PB to "see if it can" sort of idea.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm wondering if there is a protocol that allows the "Messages" app (or it's backbone structure) to be allowed to be run on ichat? Just like the old imessage was able to run on ichat when 10.8 came out.

I would like to have my powerbook do more other than run itunes in the background or to always run and see if my mac pro has new messages. Sure messages runs on my iphone but i want to see if i can try to hack something onto my PB to "see if it can" sort of idea.
The best I have ever managed to do was run a JB tweak on my iPhone and use Fluid to create an app that would connect to that. The only other thing I could think of would be running AirMessage on an Intel Mac, installing the app part on an Android and then using VNC on the PowerBook to remote in to your Android. Totally convoluted - unless someone knows how they can screenshare an iPhone/iPad.

I've searched this out a few times and found nothing.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
The best I have ever managed to do was run a JB tweak on my iPhone and use Fluid to create an app that would connect to that. The only other thing I could think of would be running AirMessage on an Intel Mac, installing the app part on an Android and then using VNC on the PowerBook to remote in to your Android. Totally convoluted - unless someone knows how they can screenshare an iPhone/iPad.

I've searched this out a few times and found nothing.
After all that set up, you may as well just VNC into the Intel Mac to use Messages there. :p

I haven't heard of anything besides what was mentioned above, but I do sometimes just screen share to my MacBook from a PowerPC to get to Messages in a pinch.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
IIRC I had a VNC server on my jailbroken iPhone 3G but that was aeons ago.
I did as well. My last major jailbreak was my 6s+ on iOS 9.0.1. Had that for five years.

I had to find a new JB tweak for the messages app though because the one on iOS 8 had stopped working. But both allowed you to connect to the phone through a web browser and use the Messages app. Which is why I made a Fluid app for it.

No idea if anything like that exists now.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.