Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
Haha 40% thinner excluding the facial interfaces. Sure but now the "facial interfaces" are much thicker to make up for it. What a joke, just to able to hit that number. In reality the headset is barely thinner than the Quest 2.
No idea what you're "haha"ing for. If roughly half of the headset is now the facial interface, it's going to make the headset a lot lighter. It's never been about how it looks but how it weighs on your head.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I've been an Apple user for a long time and worked for them for a while too. Unless something has changed drastically in recent years, I'd put the chances for the ability to play non-Apple app store VR games on this headset at like... 5%. Which is probably overly gracious. I've only ever used Quest link though, so I'm not sure what it's like using Virtual Desktop apps for games. Are you able to enter a VR environment by way of Virtual Desktop?

Virtual Desktop is essentially a remote desktop app with the ability to “hook” into VR apps. It’s very similar to Quest Link, but more customizable. Some people say they get a better experience with Virtual Desktop.

I see the situation similarly to the Steam Link app. You can play PC games on your iPad or iPhone via local network, and Apple allows it. I think that if Apple doesn’t allow this, it’s a deliberate policy decision.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
No way Apple announces a $3,000 headset and expect the average Joe to buy it when they see a $300 one.

This headset better be mindblowing stuff to justify the price!

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I’ve tried earlier Quest products and they were hella fun. Can’t wait to see what Apple does but the lack of physical controls, high price tag, external battery pack, and non-inclusive design (no diopter for glasses wearers) means they have some big obstacles from the jump. Add in the fact that Meta in now on round 3 with theirs, with many developers and games, and this is gonna be a fascinating category. I hope they still have some of that Apple Magic in the hopper.

Reactions: TVreporter

bsan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
...interesting.
If I understand correctly, given the assumption that the strongest rumors on the matter are all true, the strategy for Apple is to ease developers in with their headset until a mass-market form factor is feasible, so while at first Meta's $2.5k edge is stark, it won't mean much.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Facebook parent company Meta today announced the Quest 3, its next-generation mixed reality headset launching later this year. The announcement comes just days ahead of WWDC, where Apple is expected to unveil its own long-awaited AR/VR headset.

Meta-Quest-3.jpeg

Meta said the Quest 3 features a 40% slimmer and more comfortable design, a higher-resolution display, and up to twice the graphics performance as the Quest 2, released in 2020. The headset will start at $499.99 with 128GB of storage, and Meta will also be lowering the starting price of the Quest 2 back to $299.99 on June 4. The company plans to share more details about the Quest 3 during its Meta Connect event on September 27.

Apple's headset is rumored to cost around $3,000, so the Quest 3 could be significantly cheaper. Meta also said the Quest 3 has an all-in-one design, whereas Apple's headset will reportedly include an external battery pack that attaches with a wire.

In his newsletter last weekend, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman provided hands-on impressions of the Quest 3 before it was announced. He said that he "came away impressed with the mixed-reality focus of the Quest 3, the much-improved video pass-through capabilities, the faster performance and the large content library."

Article Link: Meta Announces Quest 3 Ahead of Apple's Rumored AR/VR Heads
I completely disagree with this assessment. Like the rest of us, Meta has known about the Apple product for a long time. They absolutely and correctly chose the perfect time to announce their new product. It distracts from Apple's upcoming announcement, especially given the anticipatory negatives about the Apple product, especially the price. So, a lower priced new product give Apple customers an alternative.

Meta isn't desperate for attention. They strategically planned to announce Quest 3 at this time. Meta is smiling!
They must be laughing their heads off, after the huge losses in revenue and stock value over the last 2 years 🤣

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
The bot accounts are real. Nearly everyone I know has abandoned FB. I realize that is only a couple hundred users but it is still telling. I left 3 years ago and I've never regretted it for a second. But to each their own.
Says who?
Meta 🤣

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I love that sweet smell of desperation when other tech giants rush to release an announcement around your own impending announcement.

This just reeks of fear, and rightfully so.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
No idea what you're "haha"ing for. If roughly half of the headset is now the facial interface, it's going to make the headset a lot lighter. It's never been about how it looks but how it weighs on your head.
since when size equates weight?

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
No way Apple announces a $3,000 headset and expect the average Joe to buy it when they see a $300 one.

This headset better be mindblowing stuff to justify the price!
I think that micro OLED should be enough to justify the 'rumored' 3k tag.

StupidOpinion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2021
some of you guys are way too hard on apple for a gen 1 product that hasn't even been released yet. CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING THAT APPLE SELLS. if apple releases a product that is outside of your price range, then perhaps it wasn't intended for you to buy.

eventually, apple will release AR glasses that look exactly like regular glasses but that will be 10+ years in the future and you gotta start somewhere first. if apple waited another 10 years before finally releasing AR glasses for consumer level prices, that AR glasses would be a trashy gen 1 product with little software support. at least if they release a trashy product now, it'll be polished in 10 years for you to finally buy.

also, enough with the blind hate for the quest 3 just because it is made by meta. the quest 2 was universally regarded as an amazing value with no competition in its price range.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Obviously if the headset would weigh a lot less that would be an improvement. I’m not saying it won’t. It might. But if it was a substantial difference wouldn’t they mention that?

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
Meta/Facebook are VERY happy that Apple is entering the market… It will make their stock prices jump back up, and they will have much easier time going forward.

OnlyADuck

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2021
$300 vs $3000 !
The Apple headset should better be something outstanding, out of this world... otherwise it will be as popular as a Newton.
The truth will be unveiled on Tuesday... can't wait!
You had to invoke an Apple product more than 10 years older than the entire company you're comparing it too?

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
Let’s face it… Facebook never had the weight to move something like this to mainstream… And they have the sales to prove it.

They were basically tanking the entire technology, along with the rest of the tech industry.

Apple is the 800 pound gorilla of tech today…

When Apple makes a move like this, it lifts the entire industry. IF you want to make some money investing in stock, I would buy Facebook right now. They will go up for sure. (Do not take stock advice from random forum guy…)

I think FB has been praying for years now that apple comes in, the position opposite Apple can be very lucrative…

Now, will Apple OR Facebook sell alot of units? Nope, not until 2026 when Metalens(Not a facebook tech btw, horrible name…) hits the market… Nanosized lenses babyyyy…

Expect FB to pretend they are in competition, but is not really a market until the nano lens tech makes it possible to put displays in thin glass. (…Yes it IS possible to put displays in thin glass today, except you can not focus on something that close to ur eye without a thick stack of lenses currently, which is what Metalens solves)

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
That would be something crazy.. and good luck getting to purchase one for years cause rumors say they might struggle to ship 250,000 units. If it only cost $1000 these would fly off the shelf. And definitely Apple stock would explode!
I find it hard to believe that Apple would invest the money and human effort to create a product that it can only ship 250,000 units annually. As has been speculated elsewhere, it’s possible that the rumored $3,000 price tag is for a development kit — so I think that @Mr. Dee is on to something. We’ll find out soon enough though!

llealloo

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
Los Angeles
early reports suggesting the weight will be about the same as Quest 2...

I guess I can keep laughing then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.