Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154130-iphone_vista.jpg

Computerworld reports that Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner today compared Apple's iPhone to his company's much-maligned Vista operating system, suggesting that Apple might be headed for a similar experience to that of Microsoft in terms of customer response and criticism.
"It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm okay with that," said Kevin Turner, Microsoft's chief operating officer, in a keynote speech at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC), which runs through Thursday in Washington, D.C.
According to the report, Turner also took the opportunity to poke fun at the iPhone 4's signal issues in promoting Microsoft's upcoming Windows Phone 7 operating system.
"One of the things I want to make sure you know today is that you're going to be able to use a Windows Phone 7 and not have to worry about how you're holding it to make a phone call," Turner said, referring to the Microsoft mobile operating system set to debut on smartphones this fall.
Turner's comment follows a full-page ad in The New York Times from Verizon and Motorola promoting the Droid X by poking fun at Apple CEO Steve Jobs' recommendation that iPhone 4 users "just avoid holding it in that way."

Meanwhile, a new survey from ChangeWave Research shows just 2% of respondents who are planning to buy a new smartphone in the June-August timeframe looking to buy a Windows Mobile phone, while 50% are planning to purchase an iPhone. The survey was, however, conducted before the iPhone 4 was released and its signal issues became known.

Article Link: Microsoft Executive on Apple: 'iPhone 4 Might Be Their Vista'

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Microsoft keeps making promises about products that either don't exist, won't exist, or aren't out yet.

Never mind that MS doesn't make the hardware. To make any promises about hardware is dumb.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Vista was Microsoft's Windows ME. :D

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
"Meanwhile, a new survey from ChangeWave Research shows just 2% of respondents who are planning to buy a new smartphone in the June-August timeframe looking to buy a Windows Mobile phone, while 50% are planning to purchase an iPhone. The survey was, however, conducted before the iPhone 4 was released and its signal issues became known. "

.......Making the survey entirely irrelevant.

Tony

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Vista was a train wreck? Known. Microsoft acknowledging it? Priceless. iPhone 4 signal issues? A nice fix or recall away from being fixed. Microsoft's image after sayign Vista was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Not so good.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
THIS proves why Microsoft continues to suck.

All companies come out with duds from time to time. It happens. But MS has proven again and again that they can't even recognize their own problems. If this guy actually thinks this is similar to what the Vista problems were like then they are in some serious denial.

When Microsoft makes good things I actually LIKE those things. I don't want them to fail. But they seem intent on trying to actively ignore any problems, thus leading to yet more problems. Ugh.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Vista was Microsoft's Windows ME. :D

rofl. Nuff said.:D

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
iPhone 4 has one significant issue: reception. Vista has countless issues...

Please, Microsoft. Don't put yourself in a same sentence as Apple. It's like a Yugo being compared to a Bentley.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think its a little early to compare the iPhone 4 to Vista. However, judging by Apple's response to the issue so far it could very well end up being just as disastrous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.