Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I'm in the same boat with my MBP. Since Leopard: hard freezes, soft freezes and even the white tint. Have stopped using safari. I thinking I will do a reinstall when I have time sometime.

Back on topic, I'd held back on Office 2008 because of the reported slowness. I'm shocked to hear that it also quits the whole time (I can't believe they fixed them all with this update...). I have that now with Office 2004. Why would I pay to lose the ability to run macros and gain nothing except a slightly more ungainly interface (IMHO)? As Macs get more powerful, at least Office 2004 will get faster and no worse.

Slowness?? What slowness? Office 2008 is just as fast on my MacBook AIR as it is on my PC (Office 2007). Mine launches in seconds, not minutes.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
That's actually a problem with Apple's spaces implementation and not Microsoft's suite. Every other app does the same thing. Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

Erm, I don't actually have Office 2008 but I tried opening two Textedit documents and moved one to a different space and it does not screw you around in the way the original poster described.

dbw77

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Installed update.

Word, Excel and PP all show 12.0.1 as new version number, but Entourage still shows 12.0.0 (071130)

WHAT'S UP????

Interesting, I have two machines, and I applied the same update file to both from the same downloaded .dmg file.

On my Mac Pro it says 12.0.1 (080305)
On my MacBook Pro is says 12.0.0 (071130)

I noticed when I installed on the second machine (MBP) the amount of space it said it would need was lower on the MBP than the Mac Pro, sounds weird doesn't it. I wonder if MS F***D up and screwed up the update.

How could they possible know the difference and install something different on different machines? Both are running Office 2008 ?????

Weird, I wonder if it was really updated??? :(

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
BTW-
For those who have installed the 12.0.1 update...please report the new version of Entourage.

mine is still listed as 12.0.0 (Entourage only), yet the alerts have been fixed.

((Word, PP, and Excel all report 12.0.1))

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Microsoft applications have been unexpectedly quitting on my Macs for the past 20 years. I just see it as a friendly reminder that justifies my dislike of all things microsoft. I love it when my mircosoft apps crash! And I wouldn't count on any update from MS to actually solve the problem in my lifetime.

I dunno. I got Office 2008 Special Media (free upgrade) and I think it's quite speedy on my SR 2.2 MB. I actually think it's got great eye-candy too, I like it better than Office 2004.

Does anyone here think I should take the plunge and switch to Entourage?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Slowness?? What slowness? Office 2008 is just as fast on my MacBook AIR as it is on my PC (Office 2007). Mine launches in seconds, not minutes.

Well it's encouraging to hear it is usable for some, if not everyone on this forum.

For me I'm so much happier with Pages. Keynote is obviously a given too. Numbers may take a revision or two before it can properly challenge Excel, but for simple things, it is a joy to use too.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
i like

I am curious whether any folks who have installed Office '08 actually like it, either on it's own or vs. Office '04? To those who do, what is good about it (other than Entourage, which I wouldn't use anyway)? I am genuinely curious.

I like Word 08 a lot better. It's just easier to find things, but its also a designer imposter pages rip off. I like pages better for layout things.

I am finding as I use it more there are buggy things about it, but I suppose thats normal for any new software release.

I also have no issues with performance or application launching as some other do, and I have current gen imac. I think its much faster than 04 was under rosetta. However, the new excel I think is going to be a pain. I might put excel 04 back on for macro support.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
That's actually a problem with Apple's spaces implementation and not Microsoft's suite. Every other app does the same thing. Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

Not quite. There is an issue with the way MS has set up their apps interaction with Spaces. The fact is that if I am in another Space and I do an app switch back to Word the Word doc will not be in the foreground. There are problems with Spaces but MS Office has issues that other apps do not have.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
Hi,
Just FYI, I have a MacBook Pro Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM, I just test loaded Word, Excel and Powerpoint:

Word 2008: 13 Seconds
Power Point 2008 12 Seconds
Excel 2008 6 seconds

I currently have 2687MB FREE Ram before running them. You might want to check to see how much free ram you have and whether the system is swapping, which may be why they tak so long too load.

1) I should not have to have all other apps closed to launch them. Take note that both the Office and iWork launches were done in the same context so the time comparison is still valid.
2) Try restarting your machine and performing first launches of them.

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
Is Entourage worth it? Really? Please PM me if someone thinks it's worth using and why. ;)

Yes, totally. I need to access mails from 4 exchange accounts. I can do that in Entourage(A much better option as opposed to opening 4 different OWA pages in IE or Safari.

dbw77

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
BTW-
For those who have installed the 12.0.1 update...please report the new version of Entourage.

mine is still listed as 12.0.0 (Entourage only), yet the alerts have been fixed.

Yeah, my alerts seem to be workiong too (at least for now-- they used to go away after a while) but it still says 12.0.0, I will keep checking to see if I loose alerts like before...

Why can't the world all be :apple: ... :rolleyes:

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
Dear Microsoft,

Thank you for a completely worthless, but very large update not only did you succeed in bringing a great piece of hardware (MBP) to its knees (spinning ball and no ability to switch into other apps) you provided me with a no fixes for what most would consider the biggest problems to your new office suite. I still can not put 1 word document in 1 space and 1 in another space without them rejoining each other in the same space right after I put them there. Also thank you for NOT fixing the expose problem that puts word documents behind every other window and has no ability to bring it to the front. All I can say is thank god I got this POS for free from my school and didnt pay for it cause its crap.
:mad:

I think your MBP has issues. I dont use spaces, but my machine runs fine and I have multiple word/excel docs open most of the time

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
I dunno. I got Office 2008 Special Media (free upgrade) and I think it's quite speedy on my SR 2.2 MB. I actually think it's got great eye-candy too, I like it better than Office 2004.

Does anyone here think I should take the plunge and switch to Entourage?

Yep. only if you are using the standard edition(Not the default version that ships with Home edition)

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
man,
I am about to drop Office for good in favor of Apple apps.
It takes sometime 3 to 4 minutes to start up the Office apps. Entourage and Word specially. I already disable the fonts WYGIWYS in the preferences. etc.

I just hate it. Any solution for this issue?
Thanks

re-install ms office?? I have not had any problems at all and I am a power user.

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY

Same here. All my office apps starts within a matter of seconds. The only slow application I had was Aperture 2.0(trial edition), which got replaced by Expression Media...

dbw77

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
1) I should not have to have all other apps closed to launch them. Take note that both the Office and iWork launches were done in the same context so the time comparison is still valid.
2) Try restarting your machine and performing first launches of them.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. I just rebooted and now my startup times are:

Word 35 seconds
Excel 8 seconds
PowerPoint 7 seconds
Entourage 10 seconds

markrich

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2005
slow startup times with font issues

Does anyone know if this update helps resolve the problem with fonts being rescanned on each startup.

When using Suitcase to manage the fonts, changing even one installed font caused the apps to rescan the whole library causing slow startup times for all the apps.

I am hoping my users would be in a position to overcome this with the new update, but does it?

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
BTW-

My Entourage says 12.0.1

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Win Office 2007 vs. Mac Office 2008

Does anyone run Office 2007 via Windows and Boot Camp (or Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion) AND Office 2008 for Mac? I will most likely be running Windows on my Mac, and I would prefer to use a native app but given the criticisms I've been reading regarding Office 08, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off using the Window's version.

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
um.. why did it just install something related to Silverlight on my mac?:mad:

and how do I remove it?

You must have clicked on Ok to review their redesigned webpage (which contains silverlight). To remove it, I think you just delete the folder called silverlight.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
spaces still isn't working right

this is really pathetic..even 2004 worked right.

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
Does anyone run Office 2007 via Windows and Boot Camp (or Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion) AND Office 2008 for Mac? I will most likely be running Windows on my Mac, and I would prefer to use a native app but given the criticisms I've been reading regarding Office 08, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off using the Window's version.

The windows version is good. It is of course more powerful than the Mac Version. They are interoperable so what the heck, use both.

asian8feet

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Entourage is still reporting 12.0.0 after applying the update.

Powerpoint, Excel,Word are all reporting 12.0.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.