Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Boy I don't know. 5 years ago I needed some computing muscle. These days I don't do much but MS Office, watching videos and typical web browsing. Right now I have a 10" Surface tablet docked to two 27" monitors, a 32" TV via HDMI, 2 keyboards, mouse, Bose speakers, Seagate drives and who knows what else. I don't really know why either. It's just cool watching all this crap I don't use anymore come to life when I "snap" the tablet into place. :)

Will a phone with these functions do the same one day? I'm betting soon. I can't help but wonder what Apple's A9 chip could do if Apple had the same goal as MS. (A single OS layer).

That's exactly what the new Lumia's do. I watched the keynote. I skipped the microsoft band part but other than that it was pretty exciting.

arturmeireles

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Portugal
I like that the MS Pen has an erase attached to the head of the pen :) Nice idea! Let´s see how precise the Ipencil will against the MS Pen. I used a Surface Pro 3 for 10 minutes at a local store using the MS Pen and its very precise but I cant live without Goodnotes :D

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Bye Bye! Dell, HP, Acer and Leveno
I don't think that will happen. Microsoft is trying to build a multi-level hardware vendor strategy where Microsoft is the reference point. All other hardware vendor will make cheaper versions of it. Win-win for both! Similar to Google and other android hardware makers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The specs are contradictory. In one place they say that the laptop is 1.5kg, while at the other site they claim that the laptop is 728g — which I, frankly, don't believe at all. I am very skeptical about this product until I can see it in action.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I think that Panos did an excellent job with his presentation btw. You can tell these products (well, Surface in particular) are his babies. This is what made Steve's presentations so endearing. He loved the products, and you could tell he invested a lot of his time and energy into them.

You don't get the sense of that from Phil Schiller, or Tim Cook, or Eddie Cue. And of course Sir Jony Ive seems so pretentious, he is basically a walking parody of himself (now that's a conundrum).

Panos is not nearly as polished as Steve, or close to being as charismatic - but he's come a long way as a speaker from the first time I watched a presentation. You could tell he loved those Surfaces. I've never seen Microsoft employees actually genuinely excited for their products before. It was astonishing.

I totally agree with you on these points. It seems the only Apple presenter that actually seems excited about his product is Craig, the software SVP.

The diehard Apple fans are just jealous. Deep down they would love for an Apple two-in-one device. If Apple ever made one, it would be the best thing ever since sliced bread :p Nope, Apple would prefer that you buy a Macbook and an iPad ;)

Reactions: kodos and jedifaka

twilo

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
The specs are contradictory. In one place they say that the laptop is 1.5kg, while at the other site they claim that the laptop is 728g — which I, frankly, don't believe at all. I am very skeptical about this product until I can see it in action.

The weight for SP4

m3: 1.69lbs (766 grams)
i5: 1.73lbs (786 grams)
i7: 1.73lbs (786 grams)

That Core M option is the most attractive to me... if it only had LTE..

Book

3.34 pounds (1,516 grams) including keyboard

My guess is that without the keyboard is about as light as the SP4.

source: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us?ocid=OCTEVENT_MSCOM

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015

That is correct. One weight is with the keyboard and one is without:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/surface-book-vs-the-competition/

What don't you believe about that? They are lying about the weight?

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I agree. I've always said that 2-in-1's made a lot of sense so long as someone could execute the OS properly.

I think Apple will continue to methodically evolve iOS and iPad until it eventually replaces the aging Mac OS.
If Apple were to replace OS/X with iOS then that would be it for me and Apple computers.
No thanks.

Reactions: Kiwikat88

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Wow... Impressive stuff Microsoft.
Kudos !
I definitely like the 'new' (post Balmer) MS; if Apple didn't exist tomorrow I could see myself jumping to their world. Aesthetically at least, their current and new hardware is right up there, and as cool and sleek as they come.

Personally, I have not yet had the opportunity for an in-depth look into Windows 10, but I've heard a lot of positive things about MicroSoft's latest OS.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So Surface book has laptop performance only with the keyboard attached ?! no thank you, the gap and the closing mechanism still aren't perfect. If you want a laptop you will buy a macbook pro, or for gamers an alieware for that price, if you want a tablet you buy an ipad air/pro, if you want a hybrid buy the surface pro 4
So the idea of Surface book is dead from the start

You should have given them your analysis and saved them a fortune.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
you are all hype because the event is still in your hearts and that guy knows to deliver the hype. These are great products for those who want something different, but in 1 month when the hype is gone, these product will not be mainstream.
These products will be bought in general by the kids or people who wants something just because is cool
These are not for real pro users, these are not for gamers. These are for normal users with normal usage, cut in half because not everybody will pay 2000$ and we have the sell numbers
You do realize this is exactly what people say about mac, right ?
"These are for rich kids who want to own Apple stuff," "Tool not toy", etc.
Let's talk about Retina macbook when they were released ? Damn close to $2000.
Hell, if people can buy a $1000 phone, they can get a $2000 computer that does much more.

So funny to see people using those arguments when Apple pretty much invented the genre.

Reactions: Surf Donkey

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think that Panos did an excellent job with his presentation btw. You can tell these products (well, Surface in particular) are his babies. This is what made Steve's presentations so endearing. He loved the products, and you could tell he invested a lot of his time and energy into them.

You don't get the sense of that from Phil Schiller, or Tim Cook, or Eddie Cue. And of course Sir Jony Ive seems so pretentious, he is basically a walking parody of himself (now that's a conundrum).

Panos is not nearly as polished as Steve, or close to being as charismatic - but he's come a long way as a speaker from the first time I watched a presentation. You could tell he loved those Surfaces. I've never seen Microsoft employees actually genuinely excited for their products before. It was astonishing.

Notice the trainwreck that was the Google event just a few days ago. Those guys were so dispassionate I wondered why I was bothering to watch something that they didn't even seem they wanted to be at.

The guy who did the Lumia presentation cracked me up as well. He was such a ... different ... personality to have on the stage, but it worked!

There was some actual energy in this presentation, something I haven't seen in these tech companies in a little while. Refreshing.
The true lie on his eyes you believe it? i can be actor for 1 hour too TO believe into my own PRODUCT that I sell

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Why is that ignorant? I concur with that person - it's just too bad it runs windows. Windows even with windows 10 is still windows and that's a major deal breaker for me personally.
What is the problem with Windows? Please do tell..

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Checking the thread and the double standards are interesting. Things Apple would get crucified for MS gets loved and circle jerked. I would think Win10 is the greatest OS ever to be made and we should just stop making OS's, ban every other OS and give em 100% marketshare. I will ignore all those issues I read about, and I read about many, many issues with it. It gets a free pass I guess because.... I don't know. The verge was right after-all "MS is ready to be loved again." So they're ready boys, lube them hands up.

Check your double standards though. Honestly, check them, think really hard and see those double standards right in your face. Used Windows 10 and I wasn't blown away by any means. Wasn't by Yosemite either so I am still on Mavericks. IMO screw both of the OS's and let's get something new. It's been time for another OS to take some spotlight. SteamOS, a pushed version of linux, whatever.

I guess the Xbox One issues with interface lag I had on now 3 systems was all in my head too. Those absolutely insane DRM polices never were attempted either.

IMO: All current OS's look like crap and are buggy cause they try to do too much. Even Windows. (Which apparently never has issues here... odd.) Flat, boring and too much dead space and too bright.

And screw this glue and non-upgradeable Ram and memory. Tech geeks stand for this now? Why doesn't the Surface book get flak for that? Oh because Windows OS is perfection, I missed the memo. I will get to it. AT&T exclusive phones? Don't see a peep about that either, maybe I missed it. If you're going to hate, be equal opportunity at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
That's more than enough. These days, Windows is lighter and thinner on resources than even OSX without having to sacrifice any performance. One of the advantages of MS trying to cram Windows onto a tablet is that they've tweaked the everliving hell out of it. OSX still beats it on battery life, but Windows is now lighter on its feet.
I agree on this. I had a netwbook that was limping on Windows 7 64bit on 4gb ram. I upgraded to windows 10 and it flies like anything. I almost threw away that netbook as it was dog slow. Now I can use it like an iPad without any slowness. Windows 10 has really impressed me with its lightness and performance.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
We're seeing a convergence of platforms, and eventually the iPads and Surfaces are going to meet in the middle. But for now, the iPads are content consumption devices that can do a bit of work in a pinch, and the Surfaces are work devices, that can do content consumption.

Disagree in this sense--the convergence will likely never meet in a way that will satisfy consumers. Yes--windows will become more appliance like--but never to the degree of the ipad. Also, windows store will never amount to much relative to ios/apple apps store. On the other hand--ios pro apps will improve but will never really compete with x64 flagship applications like toon boom and photoshop. So while products improve--everyone will remain disatisfied!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
That is correct. One weight is with the keyboard and one is without:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/surface-book-vs-the-competition/
What don't you believe about that? They are lying about the weight?

I don't believe that the entire laptop with the specs they are claiming it has is 730g ;) Without keyboard it makes sense, but its not clear what components exactly are hiding in the keyboard assembly.

I am sceptical because the tech specs are written in a very unobvious way which I personally find confusing. It appears as they are supposed to impress a customer while at the same time obscuring important details.

Don't get me wrong, its certainly not bad hardware at all, and MS is getting quite close to Apple here. However, I am pretty sure that in real life, the display won't be as vibrant as what we have with the rMBP (despite the higher resolution), the battery life will probably be much lower in practice, the build quality will be shabbier and the trackpad won't be as responsive. All these little things that make Apple products special. Of course, I wish that I am wrong with this one. Strong competition will force Apple to be more aggressive both with their design and their pricing, which is good for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.