Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think ipad pro has no rival, surface is there to be good at everything
http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/06/disney-tests-the-ipad-pro/
Nice Mickey

The iPad Pro has a rival.... The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12 released in 2014. Comparing iOS or Android to full Windows 10 is laughable under the best of circumstances. I don't care how powerful the iPad Pro is... the Surface and Surface Pro are full computers that happen to be in tablet form. Being able to run full desktop apps as opposed to upgraded smartphone apps isn't even a comparison.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Wasn't iPhone AT&T exclusive at the beginning?
Why do you want to upgrade ram and memory of an tablet? It's not supposed to be a desktop or notebook.

I don't understand your logic at all.

Yeah awhile ago it was exclusive, fair amount of years now. Be better if the Lumia's were on more carriers. Unless you want to argue otherwise? Most all flagships are on numerous carriers.

The surface-book as well as the MBPr are soldered on parts and that same up charge is there for RAM. Gun to the head analogy they both could have the RAM accessible, but it's for profits I get that.

Don't worry MS gets plenty of my money, they will still get it in the future. I like a fair amount of their products. You would get my logic if the 6s was AT&T exclusive for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The iPad Pro has a rival.... The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12 released in 2014. Comparing iOS or Android to full Windows 10 is laughable under the best of circumstances. I don't care how powerful the iPad Pro is... the Surface and Surface Pro are full computers that happen to be in tablet form. Being able to run full desktop apps as opposed to upgraded smartphone apps isn't even a comparison.
I was refering that the surface does not compete into ipad pro class
Its in own class of doing and being everything

Reactions: jase1125

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Only thing I'm jealous of is the windows Continuum. Have wanted that feature for awhile.

Had supported that Ubuntu phone that promised a similar feature. Thought about it with the Moto Atria.

Not enough to make me switch phones (just bought a 6s), but a feature I;d love on the iPhone

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Instead of revealing products, how about you reveal updates, yes? Ahem...office..cough..cough..

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Risky move by Microsoft. They're betting that hardware will be enough to keep users on Windows, or convert Mac users. The risk is if this doesn't convert any Mac users, they will be alienating a lot of notebook OEMs at the same time. Don't know who's making this for them, but they're gonna be pissing off Dell, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Acer, etc, etc. Will be interesting to see how they respond if they feel like Microsoft is throwing them under the bus.
All the devices introduced today by Microsoft are AAA-quality designs, premium in materials, manufacture and price. There's simply no one competing in that sphere on the Windows platform other than Microsoft.

Every single OEM you mentioned manufactures second rate junk, and in the case of Acer, third rate. There's a market for that and Microsoft isn't competing in it, the OEMs have that all to themselves.

Reactions: Mikey44

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Nvidia CPU base with Intel CPU on screen tablet..? Why 2 different companies CPUs? IS MS getting out of "partnerships" horizontal model & becoming a whole widget hardware / software vertical model like Apple?

Renzatic

Suspended
All the devices introduced today by Microsoft are AAA-quality designs, premium in materials, manufacture and price. There's simply no one competing in that sphere on the Windows platform other than Microsoft.

I wouldn't say they're entirely alone on the top end of Windows World. Dell and HP have started making halfway decent stuff again. The XPS 13 & 15 in particular are well designed laptops.

Though I would say MS is doing a better job of trying to go toe to toe with Apple on what's historically been their own turf.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All the people trashing Windows... have you actually tried Windows 10 yet?

I haven't, but I've heard great things about it. I look forward to getting permission from my employer to update from Windows 7 to 10 (they said IT should finish getting all of the software licenses and whatnot that we need by spring of next year). Sounds like 10 is supposed to be much more comparable to Unix than past versions of Windows were.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Man do I want that surface Book. But significant overkill for my uses of sitting on the couch watching sports and chatting with Lightroom

Was hoping Apple would have come out with a worthy successor to the MacBook Air to replace my dead screen 2011 model, but the MacBook is not what I'm looking for (Since I like to type a lot, and type quite fast).

Thinking that I might just go with the Surface pro 4, since it'll replace both the Surface Pro 2 I have and the MacBook air at the same time.

But that Surface book IS sexy... (though I'd be freaking out about the inability to fully close without a gap, I have a bad tendency of falling asleep while using teh laptop and rolling over it with my head while closed, probably what broke the screen on my MBA! lol)

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I was refering that the surface does not compete into ipad pro class
Its in own class of doing and being everything

So you've determined this about a product that isn't available to the public and won't be for at least another month. Not to mention there will be virtually zero "pro" apps available for it until the developers get out an iOS version (if they bother to do it at all). And your proof is some PR maneuver where they had some Disney artists do some sketches with it. Yet there's a device already available (has been over a year now) with better specs and can run full versions of all of the current industry standard programs, and it somehow doesn't even compete in the iPad pro's class? Yeah, ok. The iPad pro is intriguing and I'm gonna check it out, but what you're claiming defies all logic. I can only assume you've just been putting us on this whole time because there's no other explanation that makes even a lick of sense.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
All the people trashing Windows... have you actually tried Windows 10 yet?

I haven't, but I've heard great things about it. I look forward to getting permission from my employer to update from Windows 7 to 10 (they said IT should finish getting all of the software licenses and whatnot that we need by spring of next year). Sounds like 10 is supposed to be much more comparable to Unix than past versions of Windows were.
Windows 10 has been wonderful from a UI and workflow perspective. It's the same user intuitive interface that has existed in windows since '95 with the "one place to do everything" start menu (which win 8 broke!), but far better for both desktop and tablet experience.

the unity of Win10 really starting to make OSx use feel very disjointed with where everything is. The Dock just doesn't feel connected with finder. the menu bars just don't feel like they're laid out verywell (although they're at least consistently in the exact same spot). Windows hotkeys also tend to be slightly easier to remember.

Want to do a search, press windows key and just start typing. That ease of flow is missing from OSx still. Finder is the closest equivelant, but it's a hotkey combination that you have to remember.

WIndows now including virtual desktops and new task switcher (Alt-tab is still there though, Win-Tab is just prettier) really takes a lot of queues from OSx's best features for flow and productivity, especially with trackpad gestures to match.

Thats not saying there aren't issues and bugs. I'm running it on a surface Pro 2, Microsoft's own hardware, and I'm having some really annoying bugs, like a runaway service everytime I undock the keyboard.

Win10 however does a stunning job at bridging the gap they created with the UI changes in Win8. However, WIn10 is super lightweight in comparison, Taking up far less space than windows ever did before, and runs very very smoothely on little memory (Uses approximately 1.2Gb of ram on boot)

Renzatic

Suspended
WIndows now including virtual desktops and new task switcher (Alt-tab is still there though, Win-Tab is just prettier) really takes a lot of queues from OSx's best features for flow and productivity, especially with trackpad gestures to match.

The better way to put it would be to say that Win-Tab opens up all the applications assigned to the virtual desktop you're currently on, all Expose like, while Alt-Tab lets you cycle through all open apps, regardless of where they are.

Reactions: LordVic

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
In Theory, I understand the appeal of having a hybrid pc-tablet or tablet-pc. "One device to rule them all and in the darkness bind them."

However, in practice, I really wonder if most people would just prefer to own a laptop and a tablet or a laptop and a large smartphone rather than a hybrid. From a price perspective, there really isn't much difference (Base iPad $500 + Macbook Air $1000 = Surfacebook $1500). Combined they weight about the same (iPad Air + Macbook Air = 4lbs vs Surfacebook 3.5 lbs), and you can opt to just take your iPad on vacation or to the coffee shop and leave the laptop, which is a much more portable setup for those situations when you know you don't need to be really productive. Frankly, the iPad Air is a more suitable size for the touch experience, since it is much easier to hold then these large hybrid tablets. Of course, you can also just take the laptop when you go on a business trip. It just seems more flexible to have two devices.

With Cloud computing and Continuity features, there is really very little advantage these days in having everything on one device because most of your important stuff is seamlessly accessible from either device.

Anyway, it remains to be seen.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
To be homest, it wouldn't be surprise me if it took Apple that long to implement one!
You assume they didn't consider OSX when they developed iPad. I'm sure the iPad filtered through a ton of hard decisions to get to where it is.

These surface tablets are netbooks with touchscreens. Might as well just get a MacBook.

Is this is serious question?

A person might want an ultrabook that can transform into tablet. The Macbook Pro can't do that.
Calling these things tablets are pushing it. How many people do you think will wind up carrying the keyboard with them wherever they go?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Every single OEM you mentioned manufactures second rate junk, and in the case of Acer, third rate. There's a market for that and Microsoft isn't competing in it, the OEMs have that all to themselves.

Mind you Microsoft's products usually look good on the surface (unintended pun). I have a Surface 3 (the non-pro one) and the charger plug doesn't stay flush to the body and it wiggles when you touch it. This is by design and every unit of the device has this problem. But probably too few people have it and Microsoft stuffs don't generate pageviews. So nobody was talking about this.

To me this is totally unacceptable.

c.f. the image below:

Surface-3-Charger.jpg

Reactions: Atlantico

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
In Theory, I understand the appeal of having a hybrid pc-tablet or tablet-pc. "One device to rule them all and in the darkness bind them."

However, in practice, I really wonder if most people would just prefer to own a laptop and a tablet or a laptop and a large smartphone rather than a hybrid. From a price perspective, there really isn't much difference (Base iPad $500 + Macbook Air $1000 = Surfacebook $1500). Combined they weight about the same (iPad Air + Macbook Air = 4lbs vs Surfacebook 3.5 lbs), and you can opt to just take your iPad on vacation or to the coffee shop and leave the laptop, which is a much more portable setup for those situations when you know you don't need to be really productive. Frankly, the iPad Air is a more suitable size for the touch experience, since it is much easier to hold then these large hybrid tablets. Of course, you can also just take the laptop when you go on a business trip. It just seems more flexible to have two devices.

With Cloud computing and Continuity features, there is really very little advantage these days in having everything on one device because most of your important stuff is seamlessly accessible from either device.

Anyway, it remains to be seen.
not comparing likewise products.

surface book is similar to rMBP in size and power and what it appears to be up against.

rMBP + iPad Pro will cost a lot more.

the Surface Pro line is closer in performance and price to the MBA, so it would be MBA+ iPad pro for that comparison.

the Surface 3 is meant to compare to the iPad Air.

However, you are right about user preference and workflow. some people might prefer having 2 devices, some will prefer the convergence of one.

consumer choice is a great thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.