Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twilo

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
What years is this? 2004? Windows is great now, way better than every MacOS after Snow Leopard.
I'm running Windows 10 on my MBP. It's faster, smoother and more stable than Yosemite/ElCapitan.

How is that possible without proper drivers is beyond me..

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Given what you can do on Windows and what you can do on OS X and their respective capabilities, the Mac OS X is a joke OS.

The software gap between the two OS'es is as bad as between App Store and Windows store for mobile.

Every day I use two OS'es and unless you have all your apps in the cloud/web browser, the Mac experience is not that great - even simple things like office/sharepoint integration is a joke. on Mac - well it does not exist. wanna do Visio drawing, or create Project plan, or even use one note the way that suppose to be used, and you can't do that on Mac.

Mac OS is fine for home and screwing around on the web, and that is what I and my wife and kids use Mac's at home, but for business/work, I do not see how I could ever use Mac - it is just not possible for me at least. unless I wanted to use bootcamp or fusion all the time.

We should not argue about this. This is a Mac forum, and people will be biased towards Apple. OS X is good for lots of stuff: browsing the web and doing home stuff, as you mentioned. It provides a well-round experience, and is indeed very good. Windows is polished, but not all the times, given the disparity of hardware, but it is more versatile, especially for office and professional applications.

But that's not the point. I am impressed at the Surface Book. I was not that impressed at a laptop since the introduction of the retina MacBook Pro back in 2012. The Surface Book is everything a laptop should have these days, in my view: a great screen, and I think the 3:2 format is just great; a fast processor; a good battery life; a good keyboard and (hopefully) trackpad; and thin and light.

One may not like or want Windows, but has to agree that this is a killer laptop for those who do. And if you can use both OS X and Windows, this one looks like a serious competitor to the MacBook Pro.

The problem is the price. This laptop is even more expensive than the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro can manage to be expensive because Apple has few or no competition: as only Apple can sell Macs, it can charge a premium. But Microsoft can't, and will rely only on the perceived quality of its product. It is hard to justify spending US$ 1,500 on this laptop when you can buy a Dell XPS 13 for less than US$ 1,000.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
We should not argue about this. This is a Mac forum, and people will be biased towards Apple. OS X is good for lots of stuff: browsing the web and doing home stuff, as you mentioned. It provides a well-round experience, and is indeed very good. Windows is polished, but not all the times, given the disparity of hardware, but it is more versatile, especially for office and professional applications.

But that's not the point. I am impressed at the Surface Book. I was not that impressed at a laptop since the introduction of the retina MacBook Pro back in 2012. The Surface Book is everything a laptop should have these days, in my view: a great screen, and I think the 3:2 format is just great; a fast processor; a good battery life; a good keyboard and (hopefully) trackpad; and thin and light.

One may not like or want Windows, but has to agree that this is a killer laptop for those who do. And if you can use both OS X and Windows, this one looks like a serious competitor to the MacBook Pro.

The problem is the price. This laptop is even more expensive than the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro can manage to be expensive because Apple has few or no competition: as only Apple can sell Macs, it can charge a premium. But Microsoft can't, and will rely only on the perceived quality of its product. It is hard to justify spending US$ 1,500 on this laptop when you can buy a Dell XPS 13 for less than US$ 1,000.

Surface Book 512GB/i7 "Out of Stock" already on Day 1 pre-orders. You have to understand people have been waiting for this Jesus-book for years. I've got a feeling MS could sell millions of these except for the fact that they totally will underestimate demand.

Reactions: Ghost31

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
And with just one keynote Microsoft seems to be a decade ahead of apple... seriously, I am stunned at what they showed off today!

I think a decade is way too much credit. I think they may have caught up or slightly exceeded. They still don't have Force Touch, 3D Touch and while on paper things sound faster, I really would hold off the hyperbole until real world stats and usage is available.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Some serious salt going on in this thread. MS hit it out of the park, full stop. Best hardware event of the year. They won 2015.

Yes, this is true. Definitely the event of the year. And the Surface Book is the king device of 2015, in my view. The Apple MacBook was great, but it was kind of expected; and the XPS 13 with almost no bezel at all, was also great; and they both may fight for number 2.

The iPad Pro was a disappointment in my view, as I think it is a very niche device. The iPhone 6s did not impress me at all. The Google Pixel C is something I will never think of buying, and the Nexus devices are fine, but nothing impressive.

Yes, Microsoft wins 2015 (so far).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I only use my Surface 3 as a laptop after 5 months of trial (some proprietary softwares my company is using require Windows). It is too heavy to be used as a tablet and Windows has very poor battery management. The battery doesn't last long and the device gets warm/hot easily.

In what scenarios do you find the surface 3 "too heavy" versus something like the iPad air 2? In which scenario does that additional 0.41 lbs become "too heavy"? I always like to ask because I always wonder what people are doing with their tablets that they find them too heavy.

Reactions: sracer

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Did you guys watch the keynote? It was a mess. Yeah, the products are probably awesome, but Microsoft just sucks at presenting their own products. Inconsistence messages all over

Surface Pro 4: MS claims it to be a reinvention, while it's simply just a faster surface. No details on pricing on specific configs. No details on worldwide availability (I was interested in the Surface Pro 2, and then 3, but Microsoft rarely have them in stock, prompting me to forget about it). Oh, and the keyboard is probably still a separate purchase. Surface Pro 4, a tablet that Microsoft marketed as a laptop, but the necessary component for it to be a laptop, the keyboard, is extra.

Surface Book: Microsoft claims that Surface Pro 4 is a tablet that will replace your laptop. Then they came up with the Surface Book, claiming it to be the best laptop ever. WTF? Surface Book is basically an even faster Surface, finally with the keyboard included with the purchase price. Yet Microsoft wants it to be a tablet. They even told "David" that supposedly wrote a music composition on the Surface Pro 4 to use the Surface book instead.

Inconsistence messaging, and confusing.

A a consumer, in the end, I see the Surfaces as fancier Windows laptops. With SP4, I have to pay more money for the keyboard. Surface book is interesting, but in the end, it's a laptop running Windows. Microsoft practically is heading back to the days of Tablet PCs, making tablets running Windows OS.

The only thing that is really neat was the Lumia 950. With the dock, it's like having a mini Windows RT in your pocket. Yes, Windows RT lives on inside Windows Phone 10. But again, no details on availability around the world. Releasing a product is not just making some speed-laced announcements, there are a slew of logistic and supply chain needed to support the delivery of the product to customers, and this is where Apple shines.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think a decade is way too much credit. I think they may have caught up or slightly exceeded. They still don't have Force Touch, 3D Touch and while on paper things sound faster, I really would hold off the hyperbole until real world stats and usage is available.

MS had force touch 20 years ago, it was called press and hold. Anyway sarcasm aside, I'm not impressed with force touch in the least and actually find it makes some things more difficult like press and hold functions. It's just another marketing bullet point IMO.

I don;'t think it's that MS is so much ahead of Apple, it's more that Apple is behind technology in general. But that suits them fine as it forces consumers to buy multiple devices. The entire OSx and iOS division lets Apple double dip into consumers wallets, and now seeing continuum you realize Apple is triple dipping. Very smart company, not so smart consumers, myself included.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I only use my Surface 3 as a laptop after 5 months of trial (some proprietary softwares my company is using require Windows). It is too heavy to be used as a tablet and Windows has very poor battery management. The battery doesn't last long and the device gets warm/hot easily.

I had to change the battery settings in my SP3 to a custom setting and it has been excellent so far. I turn on battery saver, use it as a tablet or with keyboard and I get 10 hours.

I planned so sell it after using for the summer for school but will keep it for work.

I'm surprised, I'm a fan of Microsoft in 2015.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

Agreed. Force Touch raises the bar, hopefully MS brings something to the table in 2016 that matches that.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Did you guys watch the keynote? It was a mess. Yeah, the products are probably awesome, but Microsoft just sucks at presenting their own products. Inconsistence messages all over

Surface Pro 4: MS claims it to be a reinvention, while it's simply just a faster surface. No details on pricing on specific configs. No details on worldwide availability (I was interested in the Surface Pro 2, and then 3, but Microsoft rarely have them in stock, prompting me to forget about it). Oh, and the keyboard is probably still a separate purchase. Surface Pro 4, a tablet that Microsoft marketed as a laptop, but the necessary component for it to be a laptop, the keyboard, is extra.

Surface Book: Microsoft claims that Surface Pro 4 is a tablet that will replace your laptop. Then they came up with the Surface Book, claiming it to be the best laptop ever. WTF? Surface Book is basically an even faster Surface, finally with the keyboard included with the purchase price. Yet Microsoft wants it to be a tablet. They even told "David" that supposedly wrote a music composition on the Surface Pro 4 to use the Surface book instead.

Inconsistence messaging, and confusing.

A a consumer, in the end, I see the Surfaces as fancier Windows laptops. With SP4, I have to pay more money for the keyboard. Surface book is interesting, but in the end, it's a laptop running Windows. Microsoft practically is heading back to the days of Tablet PCs, making tablets running Windows OS.

The only thing that is really neat was the Lumia 950. With the dock, it's like having a mini Windows RT in your pocket. Yes, Windows RT lives on inside Windows Phone 10. But again, no details on availability around the world. Releasing a product is not just making some speed-laced announcements, there are a slew of logistic and supply chain needed to support the delivery of the product to customers, and this is where Apple shines.

I saw the entire keynote livestreamed this morning and highly disagree, it was an excellent, well thought out and well presented presentation.

I agree the keyboard should be included if it's marketed as a laptop replacement though. I disagree that they are simply laptops, once you use them as a tablet you see the obviousness of that.

THe Lumia was actually where I was disappointed. I thought continuum would run desktop programs, but you are 100% right in that continuum resembles windows RT and that was the disjointed part of the presentation. What could I do with continuum that I couldn't do with an Android phone hooked to an external monitor? And you guys know I'm the biggest MS cheerleader on these forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's more like Microsoft is changing itself to be Apple and adopted Steve Job's advice - "People who are serious about software should make their own hardware."

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
I have to say, I like that Microsoft has made something original with the Surface Book. The hardware appears to be great and it can actually be used as a laptop (a big issue I had with the Surface). I *think* that Microsoft is back in the game with this one... but mostly because it's a great a professional level laptop with tablet functionality. However, I still don't think that Windows is a great tablet experience... although arguably better than Android :) I still think iOS owns the mobile OS crown.

That being said, I find that I spend most of my day on my 13" MBPr and it's a workhorse. So the question is what most people need in a computer. It appears that Microsoft is shooting for the high end here which is a great idea to put it on course with Apple. However, they have a glaring omission in their line up. The Surface Pro 4 is still very expensive compared to iPad. Apple is working to make their products affordable (from $0, $99, $199, $299, $399, $499.... etc. There is a price point for everyone.

So this is very interesting positioning. I don't think you can claim that there's an "Apple Tax" anymore when Microsoft is releasing $3,000 laptops and $700 phones.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I have to say, I like that Microsoft has made something original with the Surface Book. The hardware appears to be great and it can actually be used as a laptop (a big issue I had with the Surface). I *think* that Microsoft is back in the game with this one... but mostly because it's a great a professional level laptop with tablet functionality. However, I still don't think that Windows is a great tablet experience... although arguably better than Android :) I still think iOS owns the mobile OS crown.

That being said, I find that I spend most of my day on my 13" MBPr and it's a workhorse. So the question is what most people need in a computer. It appears that Microsoft is shooting for the high end here which is a great idea to put it on course with Apple. However, they have a glaring omission in their line up. The Surface Pro 4 is still very expensive compared to iPad. Apple is working to make their products affordable (from $0, $99, $199, $299, $399, $499.... etc. There is a price point for everyone.

So this is very interesting positioning. I don't think you can claim that there's an "Apple Tax" anymore when Microsoft is releasing $3,000 laptops and $700 phones.

Yeah seriously. The 1TB Surface Book will probably run $3200. :eek:
But the Lumia 950XL is $649, so let's not round up? :rolleyes:

Also MS has plenty of affordable products in the lower price range < $500.

Band 2, Lumia phones, keyboards, mice, tote bags....

Renzatic

Suspended

I think it's more that MS has adopted it for their own. Look at the upgrade prices for the Surface Book on their store page. Like Apple, they're gouging the hell out of people over memory. The jump from the 128GB model to 256GB is $200. That extra 128GB costs as much as adding in the discrete GPU.

GOOD GOD, YA'LL!

Reactions: Atlantico

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Agreed. Force Touch raises the bar, hopefully MS brings something to the table in 2016 that matches that.
Except Force Touch is a solution looking for a problem. Your computing experience isn't any different with Force Touch; Force Touch is literally just mimicking the feel of a clicked/hinged TrackPad. Touch and Hold has been around for years.

I use a MacBook Pro too, but you people are delusional. Force Touch hasn't raised any bar.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I believe Apple just got handed its ass. The eraser alone is enough, but MS just delivered a pretty great keynote with some pretty decent products. Believe me, I am not a fan of MS products at all. The Apple slide continues....

Renzatic

Suspended
Except Force Touch is a solution looking for a problem. Your computing experience isn't any different with Force Touch; Force Touch is literally just mimicking the feel of a clicked/hinged TrackPad. Touch and Hold has been around for years.

I use a MacBook Pro too, but you people are delusional. Force Touch hasn't raised any bar.

I dunno. I'll agree that it's kinda gimmicky on the Macbooks, but I think its use on the iPhone is really clever. If there's one thing I don't like about the Surface, it's having to hold down your finger for a couple of seconds to mimic a right-click. I know. Lazy first world problems. Shaddup :mad:. But it feels like it takes longer than it should. Something that was once instantaneous is now...taneous?

If it had Force Touch, all I'd have to do is press a little harder, and BAM! Right-click menu.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

3D Touch on iPhone 6S does raise the bar because it introduces context menu to otherwise dead icons. Suddenly the Phone icon has frequent contacts that you can dial by doing a 3D Touch and tap. This is a game changer in a sense. Of course on Windows Phone you can pin all your frequent contacts to a Live Folder on the home screen and do it that way which works too. Just saying, it's innovative. MS does have a patent for 3D tiles.

Reactions: ErikGrim

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I dunno. I'll agree that it's kinda gimmicky on the Macbooks, but I think its use on the iPhone is really clever. If there's one thing I don't like about the Surface, it's having to hold down your finger for a couple of seconds to mimic a right-click. I know. Lazy first world problems. Shaddup :mad:. But it feels like it takes longer than it should. Something that was once instantaneous is now...taneous?

If it had Force Touch, all I'd have to do is press a little harder, and BAM! Right-click menu.

Are you referring to the Surface Pro 3 TypeCover trackpad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.