Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I'm not really a Windows fan but wow Microsoft released some great products there.
The iPad "Pro" doesn't seem so Pro now. Bigger iPad with a pencil, still dependant upon iTunes in a lot of ways. Microsoft seems more innovative, TBH.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Good job Microsoft for innovating... Is this a repeat of history? The return of Microsoft!

Reactions: Ghost31 and Kiro

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Great, so I'll buy a phone with "facial recognition" so someone can print off my Facebook profile picture and get into my phone.

And Microsoft apparently still hasn't learned that hybrids are only so-so at both the things they do. There's a reason Apple hasn't caved to the "pressure" to make one. It's because it's a terrible idea.

Time to step up your game, Micro$oft…

Just like Apple didn't cave into the pressure of making smaller tablets or bigger phones?

The market wants what the market wants. And if customers want hybrid devices, you better believe someone is going to sell them to them. Just don't be a hypocrite and act like suddenly a hybrid device is magical when Apple releases one.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
It seemingly took a change at the CEO level to make this happen, but it appears that MS has finally figured what Apple knew years ago. You need to make both hardware and software for a better user experience. Nicely done MS! Competition is good for everyone.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Satya Nadella had an excellent delivery, and I have been impressed with this guy from the start. He really has turned MS around. Steve Ballmer should pay back all his performance bonuses for taking MS no where.

I don't want to compare Nadella to Tim but it's hard not to.

P.s. Hololens looks amazing! If they address the limited field of view, I can see this being something revolutionary.

Reactions: Atlantico

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
They could. They just don't want to.
Yeah, and it's disappointing that they haven't and might not for a long time yet. But that's probably just because I use Windows over OS X and would
People criticising Windows never really tried Windows 10 at full performance.

I have my MacBook Pro 2010 SSD with El Capitan + Windows 10 in Bootcamp and I find out that Windows 10 is much faster and much more stable than OS X... I only criticise the amount of battery Windows comsumes.
Likewise, I use Windows 10 on my iMac and it runs considerably smoother than OS X.

athem

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Great, so I'll buy a phone with "facial recognition" so someone can print off my Facebook profile picture and get into my phone.

And Microsoft apparently still hasn't learned that hybrids are only so-so at both the things they do. There's a reason Apple hasn't caved to the "pressure" to make one. It's because it's a terrible idea.

Time to step up your game, Micro$oft…

It doesn't work with pictures, it's not that stupid thing Google did a while ago.

vintimus

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Great announcements by Microsoft. I hope this gets Apple to further innovate. Specs of the 6s/Plus iPad Air 2/Pro are amazing, but iOS definitely needs to be expanded some to take full advantage of it.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004

I agree. Ever since the new CEO started Microsoft has been changing.
I have to say, this event today - I had no idea Microsoft had it in them. This is the first event where Microsoft was displaying passion across the board. They seemed to be on fire. This was a very impressive event for them, and if you look at the gadget blogs / sites - people are blown away by this. The proof will be in the pudding, but you have to admit - from where they were two years ago, this is a different company. People are actually rooting for them. Surface as a brand seems to have hit a tipping point, where it is actually loved and not ridiculed. That's a big deal from where they were a joke. Not many brands have turned around like that. It's almost unprecedented.

Their new CEO however... the less time he speaks the better. It sounds like he's making good decisions, but he uses corporate speak with marketing jargon that just doesn't make much sense in these presentations.

People need to remember the Surface 1 FAILED. Big time. But people LOVE the Surface 3. I hear great things about it everywhere. Its like Apple Maps. People think its a failure and don't realize how much its improved since it came out.

One thing they didn't talk about is lowering the price of the 3 and still selling it. I'm personally waiting for a cheaper large screen tablet. I have a laptop. I don't need to run photoshop on my tablet. I just want to read my comics, my newspaper, my forums while laying down in bed.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
The Surface Book looks great, only problem is... it runs Windows..
Same could be said for their phones. Phones can be great, but their app store is lacking. Needs Google Play services, which I've heard might be making an appearance on the Window phones.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Took the words right out of my mouth! Good job Microsoft for innovating... Is this a repeat of history? The return of Microsoft!

The return? Microsoft didn't go anywhere. This *is* however, a very different Microsoft. They know what they are doing and I love it. 95% sure I'll pre-order a Surface Book tomorrow.

meetajhu

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2014
Good luck with that stylus lag and the less than adequate touch input of Win 10.

Long before you even knew about touch lag or even when apple mentioned in their iPad pro video (in apple's 30 fps video I could see the input lag) Microsoft already mastered it.

Surface RT the first surface released itself has 1ms input lag. The first thing that raised my eyebrows when I used it. Windows is the only desktop OS that has 0ms latency because the drivers are direct input kernel level drivers which is managed in OS level called WDM. No UNIX based OS can surpass WDM. And it's well patented.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Wow, I'm seriously impressed.

I won't be ditching my home iMac and my MacBook Pro that I carry around for programming/development, but I'm seriously eyeing the Surface 4 for school.

I wonder how all the other ****** manufacturers of PCs feel when seeing Microsoft actually design products that create a following of fans, similar to the way Apple does with their devices.

Reactions: Atlantico

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't need to run photoshop on my tablet. I just want to read my comics, my newspaper, my forums while laying down in bed.

For this, I'd say that the iPad is the arguably stronger product. I bought a Surface 3 just the other day (that's probably going back to pay for an SP4...should've known), and while I think it's great overall, it's not quite as comfortable as my old iPad for "goofin' around stuff". The Airs in particular, being thinner, and a good 3/4ths of a pound lighter, are much better for pure content consumption.

We're seeing a convergence of platforms, and eventually the iPads and Surfaces are going to meet in the middle. But for now, the iPads are content consumption devices that can do a bit of work in a pinch, and the Surfaces are work devices, that can do content consumption.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.