Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Do a significant number of people really switch from Mac OS to Windows 10? Seems like a bit of a red herring to me even if Apple's current lineup is unimpressive. I can see power users, maybe, who's revenue depends on fast output changing. But is that a big number? I can't see the avg. consumer switching and also Mac seems to remain the preference of kids and college students.

You have to keep in mind that Apple has a significant market share in only about 5 countries.
If group pressure is there and you see Macs everywhere, you are less likely to switch.
Although Germany is considered a rich country, Mac users are the oddball here.
Companies and most universities don't really support Macs. As long as you can make it work, nobody cares. If you need any help you are told to use Windows.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Back in the day mac was a better choice to due:

Build quality
Service
Battery life
Technology

These days most of apples competitors are putting out machines with: longer warranties, as good build quality, far better battery life, more ports and technology (windows hello, touch screen, fast charging, wireless charging etc) the windows machines can be a lot more powerful and you get all this at a more affordable price.

I was gonna get the new mac, but due to the battery life, cost, performance per dollar, lack of touchscreen Etc

I decided I'm just gonna wait to see what the new surface pro 5 will be like. If the surface pro 5 is pretty much like the surface pro 4 but with better performance, thunderbolt and better battery, I'm gonna buy that instead

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I'd skip the garbage Dell and look at the Spectre x360 15t or one of the Asus models....
I've got the Dell XPS 15 after switching from the MBP and have no real complaints so far (apart from surround aroung keyboard and trackpad being a grease magnet)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
It's interesting how few MacBooks I see on campus nowdays... mostly people in the humanities.

A very surprising number of fairly generic laptops (Acer, Asus, Dell, HP mostly).

It used to be a much higher proportion of MacBooks than what I see now. I don't see many high-end PC laptops, though.

I kind of wonder if students just don't really care that much anymore and would rather spend the money on other things.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Well, soon I will be in the market for a portable computer. The only issue for me is I am really getting into web development and have discovered the power of the terminal in this area of work. I don't want to use linux because I like using Photoshop. Also there is sketch app which is only available on mac. I love the idea of a touch screen, improved battery life of Win10 competition. Hmm hmm hmm. Better price, battery life, new experience (win10) at the cost of the terminal and sketch app.

Actually I'd love to hear thoughts from other web developers.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Hackintosh reminds me Linux with the hunting for drivers/kext that will finally work on my HW. But it's good when you finally set all up (although I wasn't able to resolve some of the issues completely).

Spend more time fiddling with the config that using it. Plus the fans I used were all noisy and I hate noisy computers!
[doublepost=1485568099][/doublepost]
Apple should make a touchscreen laptop so as to grab that segment but to me they are different missions.
But when apple does something it is usually does it better so who knows?

Steve said touchscreens were junk back in 2008. Nothing has changed.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Do a significant number of people really switch from Mac OS to Windows 10? Seems like a bit of a red herring to me even if Apple's current lineup is unimpressive. I can see power users, maybe, who's revenue depends on fast output changing. But is that a big number? I can't see the avg. consumer switching and also Mac seems to remain the preference of kids and college students.
I switched, and i'm not a power user, just someone who wants better hardware, and to be able to play a few games here and there
[doublepost=1485569415][/doublepost]
Many people are looking at the Surface Book as the MBP alternative and in my opinion that is the inevitable form of laptops, and makes more sense than a touchscreen standard from factor laptop or even a foldable 2-in-1. Of course Apple wouldn't do that due to the iPad.
I still purposely buy laptops without touchscreens. If i want a tablet i'll buy an iPad. But tablets are really not useful anymore considering how big phones have gotten.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Steve said touchscreens were junk back in 2008. Nothing has changed.
He also said nobody wanted small tablets. He wasn't always right. Touch screen can great as long as the OS is designed for it. Plus it opens up another way to interact with applications.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
You have to keep in mind that Apple has a significant market share in only about 5 countries.
If group pressure is there and you see Macs everywhere, you are less likely to switch.
Although Germany is considered a rich country, Mac users are the oddball here.
Companies and most universities don't really support Macs. As long as you can make it work, nobody cares. If you need any help you are told to use Windows.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Apple,add at least 1 extra USB port to the 12 Inch Macbook and Replace at least 1 of the USB-C ports of the new MBP with standard USB.

or indeed MANY will ditch Macbooks and swith to Surface.

It's just stupid and no one can defend these wrong design decisions.

Are you talking from experience? I've got a 12" MacBook. The one port isn't a problem in my experience for how it's used. At work. On planes. The form factor, lightness and screen are awesome.

Amongst people I deal with, surface pros appear to be popular with project managers and engineers. People working in larger organisations that use PCs.

My office building contains 2 architecture firms, a communications firm and a marketing/photography studio. It's 100% Apple computers. iMacs. MacBook Airs and a MacBook. Some of the iMacs are running windows for Revit.

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I as well have over 20 years in IT and I can tell you you are so wrong on this. Yes, Dell used to be junk, we used to use them when they were junk and they were. Ever since Dell went private and everybody started to compete with Apple at the higher end - Dell has improved a lot. I know because we are using them again and I can honestly say it is a 180 degree difference from what they used to be like. Sure, maybe your mileage may very but to say they are "garbage" is totally inaccurate and a totally biased opinion. Sounds like you have a grudge towards Dell if you ask me.
[doublepost=1485557752][/doublepost]

And there you go again with Dell. We get it! You hate Dell. Do yourself a favor and let others buy what they want.

I remember back in the day Dell was crap compared to our HP computers. Everything on the Dells went bad, I mean everything. Today, Dell's quality is higher or comparable to HP now. Acer is more bottom of the barrel than Dell. But we get it, you don't like Dell. Enough said!

Blind hate clouds judgement don't you think?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

Microsoft on Thursday reported a 5% increase in revenue from licensing Windows to PC makers as part of its latest quarterly earnings results.

surface-book-vs-new-macbook-pro-800x254.jpg

In a subsequent conference call, Microsoft's chief financial officer Amy Hood said its "partner ecosystem continued to see growth and share gains in the Windows premium device category," according to Business Insider. The comment has been interpreted by some as Microsoft stepping up its game against the Mac.

Microsoft reportedly defines "premium devices" as computers that are in the $900-plus price range, which equates to the higher end of the market traditionally led by Apple products such as the MacBook Pro. By its own definition, this includes Microsoft's latest Surface Book and Surface Studio desktop.

Last month, Microsoft said "more people are switching from Macs to Surface than ever before" following "the disappointment of the new MacBook Pro." The company has not released actual sales numbers to back that claim, however, while Microsoft's latest results include licensing to all Windows PC vendors.

While research firm Gartner says the worldwide PC market continues to decline, Mac sales grew by 2.4% in the fourth quarter. Lenovo, HP, and Dell, the top three vendors, saw an estimated 5.4%, 4.3%, and 1.6% growth respectively during the quarter as well, while Asus, Acer, and others faced declines, according to Gartner.

Article Link: Microsoft Says Windows PC Makers Seeing 'Continued Growth' in Premium Market Led by Apple

Yes, the industry "wanted" to push to tablets and exist the computer age, but it seems that still the best to do things generally (at least work related) is a real laptop and computer (minus all of the doggies). Maybe it was too soon to push the exist, including cutting out the 1/8" audio port...maybe. Maybe people tried the tablet stuff and are turning again back to the laptop and computer. Maybe too soon.

Also, pushing out DVD or hard media. Still very popular in other places around the world. Maybe they missed called or was too soon. Old fashion typing on a typewriter style keyboard still seems the most practical way. Touch screens are a good thought, but hands get tired fast and pressing a larger monitor all the time causes oily smudges and quick fatigue. This is what I have read, but I do not use a touch screen expect the iPhone (and prefer it that way).

Maybe apple's philosophy about it is the more practical...touch bar may be a better solution once it is developed more. just some thoughts.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Like any other key, I like to know if I've pressed it.

I touch type so looking at the keyboard is an interuption. And yes, I use the escape key frequently.

Why does it have to be physical? The digital esc on the touch bar is just as good and its always there too.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Steve invented the tablet market as it is today. Of course he was always right.
Yes he did make the tablet market what is today. I'm not denying that. But he wasn't always right. Again he said nobody wanted small tablets. They introduced the iPad mini and they sold very well. Hence he was wrong.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Well, soon I will be in the market for a portable computer. The only issue for me is I am really getting into web development and have discovered the power of the terminal in this area of work. I don't want to use linux because I like using Photoshop. Also there is sketch app which is only available on mac. I love the idea of a touch screen, improved battery life of Win10 competition. Hmm hmm hmm. Better price, battery life, new experience (win10) at the cost of the terminal and sketch app.

Actually I'd love to hear thoughts from other web developers.

You can just run a lightweight Linux distro in a VM over Windows, so terminal might not be a great deciding factor.

In fact, it seems to be common to run a Linux distro in a VM over MacOS anyways, for development, so it might not make a big difference in the end as far as the terminal stuff is concerned.

Reactions: viizi

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003

The average consumer already uses Windows 10 by a huge margin, as they always have. Sad but true.
[doublepost=1485573653][/doublepost]
just speaking on the surface line only. If it is that good, why don't they ever release the actual numbers of unit sold.

Maybe because it's hugely successful like the Apple Watch. . . .
[doublepost=1485574080][/doublepost]
Here's the thing. OS X/macOS was never intended for tablet use.

Neither was Windows . . . until it was.

Reactions: tech4all

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
*HUGS*

Let's not fight. Peace, love and harmony.

Physical 'Escape'-key or not. Look for your mental 'Escape'-key instead.

I escaped my mentality by following this weird old advice: TROLO-LO. I forget where I am.

Meanwhile back at camp:

I think that the issue about preferences for computer hardware is never ending due to one word: Loyalty

It was unheard of in the days of old that an Atari user would use an Amiga as their primary computer or vice-versa.

It's been proven in other areas of life, that often, a person tends to stick around and use one particular computer hardware and OS maker such as Microsoft or Apple. The same for car brands. Merchants with housewares such as groceries is a great example too. If you have a membership card with one merchant and you buy groceries at a different merchant that sells housewares and groceries exactly like your regular merchant then you will be aware of the fact that you could have saved x-amount of pennies or dollars if you only stood your ground and used the well-known merchant and used your membership card there. That membership card you have is destined to allow you to have some rebate for the comment about groceries to make sense. Here in Denmark there's a battle going on between the companies that owns various merchants, ie. COOP and Dansk Supermarked. They offer rebate on organic food primarily but other things too like bicycles and elastic bands(probably)

I'm guilty of the same thing I'm sending out *HUGS' for. So I'm going to *HUG* myself in more than one way tonight, if you know what I mean!? Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
help me out: in what is office 2013 not optimized for mouse/trackpad?
All the dumb stuff moved to the Ribbon.
[doublepost=1485575734][/doublepost]
He also said nobody wanted small tablets. He wasn't always right. Touch screen can great as long as the OS is designed for it. Plus it opens up another way to interact with applications.
He was right on touchscreen laptops. I don't like a smudgy screen.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
He was right on touchscreen laptops. I don't like a smudgy screen.
Lot's would disagree with him as plenty like having a touch screen on their laptops/desktops. And I'm sure lot's would agree with Jobs on not wanting smaller tablets. But by saying nobody wanted them, he was wrong.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I will be giving the surface studio a good look at if / when it arrives in Australia for the office desktops, if the iMac is a disappointment.
However, I will say I love my 13" TB MBP and have no regrets buying it. When I buy things I want the best for the task, and see this laptop as a better mobile solution than the surface book [weight, thickness vs performance]. The surface pro is a tablet compromise to me and have had several. I would prefer the the best laptop and best tablet, hence my reasons for staying Mac for the portables.

Touch screens on a laptop are certainly not a benefit to me after using a 13" ipadpro as a laptop for a while [pencil / stylus yes is great].

My business is platform agnostic though so more than happy to switch over if Apple continues their ignorance of the desktop. I will be straight over to Win 10 by April for my work machines if Apple does not deliver something compelling / essential / focussed or any other buzz word you want to add to it. Thinness is not required thanks - just on the portables is fine thank you Tim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.