Ming-Chi Kuo Says iPhone X Supercycle Won't Really Happen Until 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Exactly what I thought would happen. The "S" model equivalent will be out next year 2018 correcting all of the annoying issues this model has like the screen bulge dipping into the display, Maybe a virtual home button, maybe put back the earphone jack. The future isn't adding dongles, So all of the cords are hanging out connected to it.

Always a few steps backwards with this new Apple.

2. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

IMO, if you get you order in within the first 3 min you’ll have a shot at November. If not, 6m easy.:apple:
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Also a Plus Model :apple:

3. PickUrPoison, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors regular

Next October is a year away, not 2 months

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

The XI one would assume.

5. borgeindergaard macrumors newbie

borgeindergaard

Coming from a 7/128, I decided to upgrade to the 8+ 256. I got the 8+ delivered on release day, and kept it for 10 days and decided to return it. It's a great phone, but the glass back is just WAY to slippery. The phone slipped off everything, flat books (that apparently wasn't completely flat, but to my eyes they were), off the bed, off chairs, everything. The 8+ is to big to put covers on, as it just becomes too big. I also didn't like the weight increase of it, it's significantly heavier than the 6+ I had some years ago. I loved the battery time on it though!

I've gone back to my 7/128, and waiting... I'm considering pre-ordering an X, but, I would rather wait for the rumored X Plus or whatever it's gonna be called. The X will only make the length of the screen bigger, but the overall experience will be more or less the same.

If the general availability of the X is pushed back into 2018, especially towards march/2018, then i'm afraid a lot of people will skip it and rather wait for the fall 2018 refresh - me included.

6. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

That’s probably wise. I went with the 8+ because the X is looking like it’s going to have some classic “Apple 1.0” features. I don’t want to be a guinea pig right now.. even though it’s clear Apple is going very quickly which a whole different way of using your iPhone.

It’s ridiculously complex to get 10-15 MILLION of these things off the ground for the first time. Apple will shortly be in the “refining” stage for “iPhone 11” where they take all the manufacturing issues from 1.0 and furiously work on making all the difficult things better. Unless you HAVE to have the latest, it’s probably best to hold off.

7. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

keep dreaming. when has Apple ever put back a feature once they removed it? The headphone jack and fingerprint censors are gone. give up the ghost

8. deyerseve69 macrumors member

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

So, lets all wait until the new phone with similar iPhone X features.

10. AgentAnonymous macrumors member

AgentAnonymous

The iPhone 8+ is nearly identical to the 7 and basically a waste of money at the price point it is given that the iPhone X exists. No reason to pay top dollar for an outdated 4 year old design and a LCD screen.

11. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

Actually you won't enjoy all of the A11 bionic loveliness because you don't have the facial recognition on the 8 plus. You do realize this right? Do you also realize next year upgrade to the X will only be a spec bump? You should have just gotten the X now.

This is exactly what you'll get: faster processor, better speakers, better wireless, marginally better cameras, new iOS. Have fun waiting a year.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    All the people here talking about they hate the notch, they'll never buy a phone with a notch, they will wait for next year iPhone etc. What exactly do you think you're getting next year? Apple is not going to redesign their flagship phone a year later and remove the notch by adding back a thicker bezel going across the top. Apple know people will not like the notch which is the reason they made the iPhone 8. Next year will be the same strategy, flagship iPhone with notch, and lesser iPhone without the notch. Eventually people will want the 1 or 2 extra features the iPhone with the notch has and they will switch over, by the 3rd year most people who upgrade will upgrade to the iPhone with the notch.

12. Murphintosh macrumors newbie

Murphintosh

If there had been a first anniversary edition iPhone, it wouldn't have been the first one, it would've been launched in the second year. You're confusing a tenth year with a tenth anniversary year.

13. zeesix macrumors member

zeesix

How do you people who reach for the + phone carry it around? Purse / murse / cargo pants, back pocket where it sticks out half way. Quite curious.

14. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Not really. It has a new chip and improved camera. I upgraded from a 6+. I upgrade every 2 or 3 generations. It may be a waste of money for people who upgrade every year. You're paying $300+ extra for a notch and software facial recognition. No thanks.

15. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

It’s a bad looking design. They should acknowledge it, as denial won’t make it look any better.

During the unveiling, I wasn’t thrilled with the notch. Then I watched that Apple video explaining how developers should account for the notch, and the article explaining the same of web designers, and it made me realize how bad not just the notch is, but the rounded corners as well. It’s especially bad in landscape mode, and it was entirely avoidable.

You may be right: Apple may keep the notch to avoid admitting they made a mistake. That’s how once high flying companies lose their way. As a shareholder and a life long Apple user (starting with an Apple II+), I hope Apple won’t be so stubborn.

16. dampfnudel macrumors 68020

As long as Apple can back that up and nothing mucks things up, fine...more or less.

17. firewood macrumors 604

Unless it's done by reservation only, I see early lines and pushy scalpers in front of Apple stores from late November thru the holidays.

18. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

WT...X

so apple tricking every body
    they say avail Nov 3rd but ctually no one will get it delivery or pickup till fall 2018,

19. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Good link, that was exactly what I thought when I bought the iPhone 8 Plus when it came out (which I returned the next), I really hated the notch until that day, I started looking at pictures of the iPhone X and compare it to the 8+ and I was like, 8+ looks old, and for the X I was like why didn't Apple just had some bezel on top, but then it would needed on the bottom for symmetry and somehow the notch started to make sense, other wise it would look so generic.

So, the next day I returned the iPhone 8+ and started to love the X design and can't wait to get one ASAP.

20. PickUrPoison macrumors regular

No, there would still be the speaker, camera and proximity sensor and I think there’s a microphone up there too, iirc.

It wouldn’t be as wide, but there would still be a notch. There’s a reason every iPhone has had a top bezel.

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Apple wouldn’t say 3rd November if this wasn’t going to be a high chance of happening.

22. unibility macrumors 6502

This depends on when the user posted their post.

23. Spizike9 macrumors newbie

I’ll be getting the X to replace my 7+.... In two more years when I can actually get it at a decent price. My iTunes content is the only thing keeping me on iPhone. The prices have just gotten too expensive. I have better things to spend my money on every two years than 2400 in phones for my wife and I. I’ll go be poor somewhere else.

24. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

Apple event Sept12 = iphone 8/10
    look like they do 2 event iphone at same time which is for =2017-2018 not for 1 event

and next fall event is for 2019

that mess :)

25. Vjosullivan macrumors regular

Vjosullivan

It's also more like Samsung than any previous iPhone. Reports are appearing that it explodes when being charged.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Because this is a rumours driven web site?