Ming-Chi Kuo Says iPhone X Supercycle Won't Really Happen Until 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Cosmosent macrumors regular

Cosmosent

The so-called Super Cycle will NEVER happen at the current List prices !

Only thing that may change that, is if third-party apps figure-out how to leverage some of the newer Tech in some of the newer iPhone.

Otherwise, Apple needs an upgraded SE to trigger a Super Cycle.

BTW, where are all those cool AR apps Tim Cook promised ??? ... I've yet to see a single one in the iOS App Store that impresses !

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

What do they gain by removing the notch and leaving it a rectangle? Oh right, it looks like an Android from more than 3 feet away.

3. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

Was in Best Buy a few days ago and was surprised that they had iPhone 8s in. As an iPhone 6s owner, other than the camera there's no compelling reason to upgrade to the 8 and the 8+ is just too big and heavy. The 10 is compelling but when I think about the size - I still haven't seen one, it seems like it'll just be slightly bigger than the 8 without bezzles at DOUBLE the cost. As a long time Apple user I can't continue to support the iPhone. Heck the design on my never used Galaxy S4 still looks and feels better than the iPhone.

Especially when I looked at the Galaxy S8 and that phone looks gorgeous, feels nice in the hand, has the "same Specs" as the iPhone X and is only $700. Other than the fact that my music is locked into iTunes - because iTunes f'ed up my Music Library numerous times there's no compelling reason to continue to support iPhone. Other than my blind, unreturned, "loyalty" to iOS. I find myself really looking forward to seeing what the Galaxy S9 will bring in the spring.

4. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

By 2018 there will be many better alternatives. Hard to believe there will be a super cycle.

5. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Pretty sad people think an iPhone is heavy, I prefer heavier phones, phones are way too thin now

6. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Moving more and more towards replacing my 6 with an 8 and waiting until next year for an X.

7. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Exactly. Over here even the iPhone 7 (not talking about the 7 plus) is more expensive than an Galaxy S8. You can argue that iOS 11 is better than Android but there are more who disagree and don’t like iOS. For me Apple lost the phone race already and Apple priced itself out of the market. Not to mention Siri, the lack of Apple Pay, the lack of services specific for Apple. Too expensive not competitive and too late!

8. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

You know they will and call it an "innovation".

9. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

You might want to consider the LG V30. Expandable storage and wireless charging in a smaller form factor. Earbuds will work with it.

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

......I'm listening......go on...... :D

11. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Serious? Phones aren't thin enough. It's like they're getting bulkier.

12. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

It also retained the headphone jack, seems like it would be a great choice

13. TimeSquareDesi macrumors regular

TimeSquareDesi

Just guessing - I don't think the 10 will start a super cycle. I think if they had released the 10 and the 10 plus at the same time, this would have started the super cycle.

That having been said, I am planning on signing up for the Apple Upgrade Program and ordering a 10. When the plus comes out next year, that's what i'll upgrade to. I've had the 6 plus for years and as a bigger dude, i prefer a bigger phone.

14. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

Doesn't change the fact thats its ugly and lacks aesthetic.

15. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

You gain a cleaner look, though you are then forced to accurately report the diagonal size of the display. With the notch, they are kind of cheating since those corners are useless space. Personally, I don't think Steve Jobs would ever have approved the notch, and I'm sure he'd be pretty annoyed with a lot of what is going on now... like the bazillion models of iPhones with three completely different designs. This is a new Apple for sure! (which is why my signature has morphed from all Apple to very little Apple).

16. TheNotch macrumors newbie

TheNotch

The notch is here to stay.

17. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

You mean, the fiscal period we are in now? That wouldn't make sense given the context of it being sometime out in the future.

18. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I'd argue you gain a conformist look that from standard viewing distance could be a Galaxy, that's poison to branding.

19. TheNotch macrumors newbie

TheNotch

Face with tougher & tougher competitions, Apple is trying to influence consumers subconsciously that iPhones are still top notch products.

20. tchadrainwater macrumors member

Attached Files:

21. mmm1345 macrumors 6502

mmm1345

I don't think I was making a value judgement on the weight. More of the fact that Plus design is just clunky as heck. I thought the S8 felt a little too thin to me.

22. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Nothing new here... Alternate years get big jumps. People plan their two-year contracts or payment plans accordingly. The rest of us who want the latest sell the phones and upgrade when something new comes out, regardless of the cycle.

23. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Naa. Most people won't be getting an X. Most will be due an upgrade next year, when the X design will be the standard and Apple have worked out how to build enough of them, quickly enough.

24. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

The other thing is cost... at $999 it's an immediate no from "the sane." My wife and mom/dad are "your average iPhone user" and all they said is "they make it $300 more because they can, no thanks." Hard as it is for MacRumor's geeky readers to believe, there's a lot more practical customers than we'd expect who don't favor a $2-400 price hike in the name of new.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I think most people will be buying the x given the amount of units said to be available which will get better come end of the year I imagine. Hopefully it isn’t in high and demand and I can get one on launch day.