Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier Global Lighting Technologies will begin shipments of keyboard-related components for next-generation MacBook Pro models in the third quarter of 2021, according to DigiTimes, which cited industry sources.

Mini-LED-MacBook-Pro-Feature.jpg

The industry sources indicated that Apple is likely to release new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays in the second half of 2021, followed by more devices with mini-LED backlighting in 2022.

Apple is rumored to be planning new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, each with a mini-LED display and an improved iteration of the M1 chip. The notebooks are expected to feature a new design with a flatter top and bottom and more ports, including the return of an HDMI port, SD card slot, and a magnetic power cable. Rumors also suggest the Touch Bar will be retired in favor of physical Fn keys.

In line with the new iPad Pro, mini-LED backlighting would allow for higher brightness and improved contrast ratio on the new MacBook Pro models.

Multiple sources have claimed that the new MacBook Pro models will be introduced in the second half of 2021, but leaker Jon Prosser recently suggested that at least one new MacBook Pro model will be announced at WWDC next week.

This post has been updated following publication of the full DigiTimes story.

Article Link: Mini-LED MacBook Pro Component Shipments Expected in Third Quarter

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dustSafa

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Does anyone know if the iPad Pro is thicker cause of the actual display or because they needed a bigger battery for it? Will be interesting if Apple needs to make the lids thicker and they can put something beyond a 720p camera in 2021 on a 3000$ machine

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
Maybe mini-LED is efficient enough that they can get a 20” or even 24” to run on a battery, and light enough to use an adjustable stand.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Does anyone know if the iPad Pro is thicker cause of the actual display or because they needed a bigger battery for it? Will be interesting if Apple needs to make the lids thicker and they can put something beyond a 720p camera in 2021 on a 3000$ machine
I would not be against a thicker lid if it would mean better display and better camera. But less bezels Apple please

Reactions: VaruLV

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I would not be against a thicker lid if it would mean better display and better camera. But less bezels Apple please
I certainly hope we'll see as good of a camera in the MBP as the iPad Pro 12.9" has now, along with Center Stage. How could they NOT do this on a pro machine, especially now that the MBA has the M1 chip?

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Reveled next week… release date in Fall?

Save up your money people. It is going to be an expensive Fall this year!!!

Agreed. For me.

New iMac or Mac Pro jr.
2 or 3 displays
new series 7 watch

...and they keep adding cool stuff to the 13 so maybe a new iPhone too?

Reactions: cmamb

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don’t expect the new MBP’s until we see the M2 incorporated along with the 30” iMacs. Yes computers that support more unified memory like 32 GB or more. It would be fantastic if they demonstrated something along those specs at WWDC, but more likely this Fall. :cool:

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2021
Why does everyone seem to think Apple will release new MacBook Pros next week? How often does Apple release new products at WWDC? It’s normally a software event. From a marketing standpoint it’s not a good idea to release a big name product during an software event when software has a hard enough time getting the media excited the way Apple wants.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Why does everyone seem to think Apple will release new MacBook Pros next week? How often does Apple release new products at WWDC? It’s normally a software event. From a marketing standpoint it’s not a good idea to release a big name product during an software event when software has a hard enough time getting the media excited the way Apple wants.

Apple has been announcing hardware at WWDC recently.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
WWDC is a developer event, and has released several PRO level products in its history… trust me they’re coming at WWDC, that’s why Apple have already released details of both WatchOS and iOS to save time at the event.

You have to remember said developers use products such as the MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• D6CDDD53-F61D-4F04-A3BC-707B97AE6FCF.jpeg
    D6CDDD53-F61D-4F04-A3BC-707B97AE6FCF.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 7B628D3C-B631-48BA-9088-5E29F9E0BE7B.jpeg
    7B628D3C-B631-48BA-9088-5E29F9E0BE7B.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 883
  • 12C8E44F-0D1C-4996-B37E-5DD814496A7B.jpeg
    12C8E44F-0D1C-4996-B37E-5DD814496A7B.jpeg
    737.9 KB · Views: 788

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
WWDC is a developer event, and has released several PRO level products in its history… trust me they’re coming at WWDC, that’s why Apple have already released details of both WatchOS and iOS to save time at the event.

You have to remember said developers use products such as the MacBook Pro.
Perfect time to show off the higher-end silicon’s power to entice developers and consumers alike.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I was really hoping to hold off replacing my 2016 MBP until the 2nd generation of AS in the MBP but the rumours are really intriguing and my laptop is feeling a little long in the tooth these days. However…

Wishing there would be an option to keep the Touch Bar as I find it helpful particularly when using software I am less familiar with but rumours make it seem unlikely. For all the Touch Bar haters out there why couldn’t you just change the Touch Bar to Function keys in System Preferences the way you have to on All Macs including those with physical function keys? I have never understood the hate given the fact the workflow was essentially the same. Well, except with the Touch Bar I can program the desired behaviour per application and that is awesome.

And losing a USB Type-C connection, which can be used for just about anything, for an HDMI and a SD card slot fixed to one side, that makes no sense to me. It seems a step in the wrong direction. I keep hoping the rumoured return of MagSafe will offer more functionality than just power, maybe allowing it to be a port to a dock on my desk with TB support. I am likely to miss that 4th USB Type-C connection far more than I will appreciate the built in HDMI. When I am at my desk almost everything is connected through a dock so that I only have to unplug one cable. When I am on the road or teaching I seldom have the option of connecting through HDMI and 50% of the time the built in connector will be on the wrong side of the computer. Sigh. For me this reversal is a negative but I appreciate for some they will be happy.

But I would be very interested in the miniLED and, of course, the AS. Hoping AVID will recognice the necessity of writing a native version ASAP because then the vast majority of my daily software will be just screaming natively! Hopefully these will make up for some of the loss of functionality in the retro port design.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
im still waiting, typing on my original retina macbook lol, please be good M1X or whatever they end up calling it.

Is mini-led, new body style and new AS too much to expect?

If they can sneak under $2k for the 14" and 2500 for the 16" i think we'll be good (reasonably equipped)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.