Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michieru

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
From a user experience standpoint...this would be a nightmare. Can you imagine the extent some app makers may go to bury the ability to easily opt out of subscriptions? Right now, you can easily go into settings and quickly see the full list of all the apps nickel and diming you every month and unsubscribe from those you may have only needed temporarily.

Come back here when you are having to call a 1-800 number to unsubscribe from an app.
Bury? You mean physically go to the website and navigate through ten menus to cancel? Ability to cancel from the app is not even an option for most of these third parties.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Silliness. Good that Apple dropped some of its fees, but they do actually have a right to charge for access. Sony does it, Microsoft does it, Google does it, and Steam does it. What makes Apple so different that idiot politicians need to target them?

Oh, wait. It's the idiot politicians. Nevermind.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
From a user experience standpoint...this would be a nightmare. Can you imagine the extent some app makers may go to bury the ability to easily opt out of subscriptions? Right now, you can easily go into settings and quickly see the full list of all the apps nickel and diming you every month and unsubscribe from those you may have only needed temporarily.

Come back here when you are having to call a 1-800 number to unsubscribe from an app.
Sometimes I wonder if people like you realize that apple’s 30% only applies to IAP if the developer offers IAPs. They’re still able to go the Spotify route. So this really isn’t going to cause what you’re saying it’s gonna cause. It’s just pure FUD and nothing more

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple's track record of doing the morally correct thing of recent is terrible, and embarassing. Apple of cause does not care and are proud of acting like this. However this specific case relating to the article, I am on Apple's side. Accept the 30% cut or go choose a different platform for your app that does not take a 30% cut.

Also in relation to this the one thing Apple does well is keeps your data safe and doesn't sell it to 3rd parties for revenue. Using another platform and another payment system will not provide the developers with that same level of data security.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
A Minnesota bill shared by Star Tribune would force Apple and Google to keep products from Minnesotan developers on their app stores even if those developers sell them directly or through other channels, skirting current in-app purchase rules.

Will this also mean we can buy stuff on Amazon without paying Amazon? Yay!

Poor analogy and understanding of what they're trying to accomplish.

It's like how Microsoft can sell their Office products for the Macintosh directly on their own site or through other channels (online through Amazon or through brick and mortar stores like Best Buy, Staples, etc.) and still offer it on the Apple app store.

QT Performa

Suspended
Feb 26, 2021
Perhaps they should have the option to host the apps themselves. Server infrastructure for app downloads is really not that expensive these days. The most popular open source repositories get millions of downloads per day and they host packages *for free*. So go figure.

Do you mean the open source repositories that depend on *GASP* corporate oversight and financial contributions to exist?

Nothing in life is free.

Let me repeat that, since it sounded vaguely important.

Nothing in life is free.

Should the corporate money dry up, most of the "free" hosting you perceive would instantly disappear. Most of the "projects" in open source would cease to exist. Virtually all Linux development would cease, for example.

Those "open source" repositories?

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I am curious here... do you have any sort of idea as to how much - in terms of percentage - you would be paying out if you had to pay for all the 'back office' Apple currently provides if you were to market your app completely independent of Apple?

Do you think you would have any profit at all?
Exactly, 15% is worth it for "all the back office" as you say. I believe I thats what I said in my original post.
Not just dealing with refunds, payment issues, disputes, credit card companies and their charge backs etc but the marketing of Apps and enjoying the "halo effect" of Apple's brand endorsement of my software.
15% is a bargain.

EDIT: I should also mention that Apple handles the "local tax" in each country/region/county etc. Too much for an independent like me to deal with. That alone is worth 10%.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I don't think you read the post I replied to, it's in the quote...

What I am asking you and everyone, is what is the difference between MacOS and iOS. On a Mac, I can sell my app in the Mac app store. I can sell it via SetApp. I can sell it via Steam. I can sell it on my own website. On iOS? The App Store is literally the only option.
The difference is you didn't drink the Kool-Aid and like free competition.

• Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Tell me how Windows is perfect and why we should turn our phones into desktop OS?

Reactions: BlindBandit

victor.cardona

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2020
I have to admit I have less of a problem with this than I do with the whole idea of independent app stores. I own Nook books, and read them on my iPad. I wish I could have a seamless shopping experience by being able to shop for new books in the Nook app. I can't because B&N is unwilling to share its very slim margins. Perhaps Apple could find a way to charge developers a hosting fee that covers their cost of hosting and promoting the app, while still allowing developers to use their own payment systems, or even better giving them access to the payment infrastructure on iDevices.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You're trying to say that the developers can't chose to sell for Android devices instead?
Developers can't choose to sell their app directly themselves on a site that they're paying to operate because Apple won't allow them to do so.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
If this succeeds, and then spreads to other states, then it might lead to Apple increasing the Apple Developer membership fees, or introducing some other related cost(s) to developers, to try to compensate.

I personally hope that over the long term it leads to removal of in-app purchases, and by extension, a lot of the “freemium” apps that are present in the Google and Apple app stores. The majority of those are garbage anyway, IMO.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Developers can't choose to sell their app directly themselves on a site that they're paying to operate because Apple won't allow them to do so.
Apple allow that just fine; what Apple doesn't allow is people circumventing the security process of having apps vetted before the public has the ability to install them.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You clearly don’t know how it works. It is an App Store that sells stuff. Apple invests quite a lot to maintain it and keep it moving forward. Anyone making money from their work and marketing but not paying is a free loader.
Everyone pays Apple through developer fees.

Do you consider Amazon, Netflix, Robinhood, Twitter, American Express, etc. freeloaders since Apple doesn't get a cut from any of the transactions made through the respective apps or ad revenue yet the apps are available for free on the App store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.