Mockups Show AirPods in Apple's New Jet Black Color

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Sylvan macrumors regular

Well, chances are you're going to be seeing a lot of people wearing these in public. What are you going to do? Point and laugh at every one?

2. citysnaps macrumors 601

3. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Oh man if only. The white ones will feel like weird earrings. Even so, those are the ones I'm going to get I think.

4. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Better yet, you can make your own blog and be assured whatever you want will be on the front page.

5. 2457282 Suspended

Originally I was aiming to get the jet black iPhone. But after the reviews of how easily they scratch I am going with the matte black option. So I will hold out for the matching earrings, er, I mean airpods. :D

6. batsabode macrumors newbie

batsabode

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The jet black phone isn't plastic.

8. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

but the headphones would be. And still the jet black looks like plastic.

9. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

Yes, I was wondering about that too. I can't believe this question's not burning up this thread.

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I take it then you didn't own an original iPhone, 3G/3GS or stainless steel iPod touch?

11. delegagtor macrumors member

They should come out with the airpods in earwax color.

12. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

You could draw that conclusion, or it could be something else... jump to 5:30

... or white looks goofy when just dangling out of your ear.

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

They need to be made from flesh.

Tiny little mouths that talk in your ear.

14. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Rose gold would be nice. Would blend in better with more peoples' skin tone. Pure white/black stands out a lot.

15. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Somehow they just look so generic. Like your typical black-plastic knockoffs. I guess that's why Apple sticks to white accessories.

16. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Yikes! I was thinking more of a matte rose-gold. Shiny is sooo 90s.

17. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

This is one product that should not be suffering delays in launch. It should have been ready for launch day one.

LATE October is too late for a product that is the key to removal of the headphone jack. As it is, should a person want to use their Lightning earbuds on anything other than some newer iOS devices, they're out of luck -- there is literally not one adapter available to even use them on a Mac, much less anything else. So the only practical solution is to use the 3.5mm adapter with an old pair of earbuds on the new iPhone 7, in order to have compatibility with anything else. Let's hope they don't lose that adapter while their using the MacBook at Starbucks.

Where is the logic in that?

18. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Either or, anything but plastic.

19. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

You do realize the gold trim as you call it is actually the charge contact points. They either have to be silver or gold color as they must be metal to conduct electricity. On the white ones they are silver.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    The case has a battery in it to recharge the pods when inserted. 15 minutes gets you another 3 hours. Then repeat. After 24 hours charge in case battery is exhausted you plug the case into power adapter to recharge it.

20. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I would love to get these in Jet Black. The problem is that Apple has closely associated their brand with white earbuds. That is probably a big part of the reason they kept the stalks on them. It still gives the indication of wires without actually having them, while also providing functionality such as the microphone and additional room to store the battery. However, they've been on a customization kick lately—from the color keyed Beats headphones, to the iPhone docks, and then the Apple Watch bands—so it's possible this could happen at some point. If they do it, it will be after people have already purchased the first generation so it gives them another reason to buy the new models. I'm kind of hesitant to buy them this year due to huge advancements in battery tech from SolidEnergy that should be coming over the course of the next year or two. Those new batteries would allow roughly 10 hours use with the same hardware, which would be huge.

21. bluespark macrumors 68000

I like these, and they avoid the "ear cigarette" look. I would buy them.

On the same subject, I really wish Apple would introduce the Lightening-to-headphone adapter in black. For that part especially, white (paired with ordinary black headphones) will just call people's attention to the adapter. I can't see how that's a good thing for anyone.

22. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

23. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m just excited Apple is giving me the opportunity to drop over $150 to wirelessly have the same crap sound quality as their free earbuds.

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

That's fine, but lacks Apple's brand.

However, please make the Mac keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and mouse in black. When was the last time you saw a white Mac? I don't even mind the white cords—kind of iconic—but white keys while your Mac has black trim?

25. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Reading these forums, and the variety of opinions, wants, desires. I can see why Apple does not use focus groups or consumer input to design products. Apple makes design choices some will love, some will hate, and most will accept and buy buy buy.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2016 ---
    Wow, did you get a preliminary sample. How did you determine they will sound the same?