More Incidents Surface of iPhone 8 Plus Devices Burst Open Due to Possible Battery Failure

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. majkom macrumors 65816

is this all about Plus version only, or were there any regular iPhone 8s affected?

2. derekmlr macrumors member

Um, no? The batteries are inflated, not catching on fire. Seems safety mechanisms are still working.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Fewer and it's an inflated battery. Not one that is bursting into flames.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Chill people... we're only at iCON 3 :)
    (iCON = APPLE DEFCON)

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:
    1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
    2. No response from Apple
    3. Increased number of people report the issue
    4. No response from Apple
    5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
    6. Even more reports of the problem
    7. No response from Apple
    8. News of the problem hits blogs
    9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
    10. No response from Apple
    11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
    12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
    13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
    14. Apple apologists are silent
    15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
    or
    15a. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
    16. Apple gains some positive publicity
    17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
    18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.

4. ren857 macrumors member

Acually, we're at ICON 5 based on some of the responses in this thread! Haha

5. AmazingRobie macrumors member

Sounds about right. Good job.

6. jntdroid macrumors regular

The only fault in your list is that Apple has already responded. Honestly beyond that, I don't actually see any issues with how Apple handles things based on your list (apologists aside). If there's a recall, and they can pinpoint the precise problem, why not have strict guidelines as to who can and cannot take part in the recall? They're only wasting money if they let millions take part in a recall that don't really need it.

If it wasn't for the Note 7, this likely wouldn't have even gained much traction publicly this early in the process. Everybody is (understandably) extremely sensitive to any battery faults in major devices right now.

And I'm no Apple apologist - just trying to look at it from a rational perspective.

7. Andreas56938 macrumors member

Andreas56938

Spot on!
    More correct than correct!

8. IGotOne macrumors regular

When I pay money for a product, I expect the manufacturer to have the vision to predict bad components in advance (with some sort of time travel, I assume, but maybe with the help of some sort of spirit world... dunno... it's their responsibility, not mine).

If Apple didn't know in advance that they're supplier was going to let them down, it makes me wonder what they're spending all the hundreds of billions ON exactly!?!

A good time machine only costs a few hundred billion. You can get them on AliBaba but the shipping times are (ironically) outrageous.

For shame Apple! Put your billions to good use and avoid crap like this!!!

9. avtella, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

avtella macrumors regular

As an extreme case I remember when Sony supplied batteries uses in multiple devices including Dell laptops burst into flames in the early 2000s, someone’s house burnt down I think plus some who had injuries. Lithium ion batteries are volatile and not very forgiving with smallest of mistakes, but regardless of Samsung (These guys left no room for battery expansion so this was on Samsung), Apple, Sony etc it’s bound to happen occasionally now and then. Hopefully these are just isolated events, if not that would definitely suck.

10. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

At least 70 Note 7s exploded causing fire. A car burned down. It’s a little different from a handful of iPhone 8 batteries swelling and popping the display.

See a therapist about the Note issue. You seem to hold an unhealthy amount of grudge. :)

11. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I asked the same question many pages ago and am still following this thread solely so I can see if anyone knows and reports the answer. So far, I'm lead to believe that this is exclusive to the iPhone 8 Plus and not happening on the iPhone 8, but I could be wrong (and would love to get some kind of confirmation [so far, at least]).

12. I7guy macrumors G5

It happens. Look at Takata airbags as an example. Or brand new high-end cars with warranty repair issues. No company is immune.

13. samer.forums, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

samer.forums macrumors newbie

20000 years from now, aliens will discover earth and find that there was an epidemic That killed the human race , and the only clue about it is a strange Apple sign with a bite on it

14. dt99 macrumors newbie

dt99

So you both wants to see iPhone 8 burst into flames while on a plane and causing a plane crash and hundreds of deaths before too understand its a critical problem?
    Battery problem is always critical issue, no matter if its 1 case a few or hundreds. 1 case is enough to cause a life or alots of lifes.
    Acting ignorant is a stupid thing to do when it comes to lithium battery. While waiting for Apples offfical reply,best thing to do is not to charging iphone 8/plus over night and monitoring while charging the phone.

15. taki2 macrumors newbie

taki2

And this is with slow charger provided. The main problem is with fast charging, glass keeps heat... Note 7 had much larger battery in cramped space (stylus, audio jack, ip68 water resistance, usb-C...).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Because they are not as sealed for water resistance & this 'feature' allows the much smaller slow charging battery to cool down.

16. Yacoob macrumors newbie

That means you'd do the same for any other brand of phone, because every model from every manufacturer had at least one case of battery swelling or exploding.

Saying that, I'd also like to say that if this ended up being the same as the Note 7 fiasco, Apple would be in much bigger trouble, as their profits are mainly from the iPhone itself, Samsung had a lot of other products to sell, not even mentioning the money they make from iPhone components themselves.

17. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

it's now around 9 incidents..
    still too minor.
    but if this NEVER happened till the 8, it does show lesser QC.

18. davidk2010 macrumors newbie

Could you sound anymore sheepish ?? Could you not say the same about what happened with Samsung ?
    And it's was 35 incidents when Samsung started the recall , also the iPhone 4 did it Apple just didn't make it public, my 4 burned my leg, when the battery swelled and got that hot it melted the rear glass, yeah Apple gave me a new phone and said they would investigate and would be back in touch, said "this has only happened with the 3GS", they never called and when I called them they denied all knowledge, and said my phone was replaced because of smashed glass!!
    35 reported Note 7 incidents when Samsung started the recall !

19. dt99 macrumors newbie

dt99

I do no matter what brand or product when it comes to lithium battery. Every time charging any product with lithium battery, Im using Broadlink MP1 Smart Home Wifi Timing Plug Power Strip and set the timer to turn of the power after it finished charging. Charging a phone battery normal only takes around 2H and just set the timer to 2H.
    Better safe than sorry.

There is a reason why alot companies/sellers stopped to ship products international with lithium battery becasue of stricter laws to handle dangerous goods as lithium battery.
    3rd part sellers also excluded CMOS battery when I ordered a motherboard from China. China have strictly rules even with such little CMOS battery which wont even explode or catch fire.

20. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Its common sense the heat generated can't absolve by the glass bottom including the glue between the battery and the glass this was not happened on iPhone 7 with the metal frame

21. macTW macrumors 65816

You’re incredibly ignorant and require hyperbole to try to make a false point.

How Samsung handled it was great, with no plane crashes or hundreds. Samsung waited until they knew it was a legitimate concern and then acted quickly.

Not sure why you posted such a ridiculous reply.

Edit: a newbie account. Go figure.
    5 incidents of a broken phone. Samsung has 35+ incidents of heat, fire and injury.

What’s your next false argument?

22. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Dont Apple test these phones before selling it to their customers????

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Did Samsung? Did Takata? Did ford? And etc

24. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

25. Sill, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

Sill macrumors 6502a

You make a good point, but out of that list, 3 of 4 devices make sense. To the far left, the Shuffle was just enough music to get through a commute or a workout, the Nano added video and some basic functions, the Touch was an iPhone without the Phone. You can't really consider color as a redundancy - fashion choices may add another SKU but it doesn't mean that there is another iteration of the same product. The only thing that was redundant was the Classic. it just was there out of inertia I guess.

That list is still spartan compared to 8 different phones and 4 different iPads. I would think Apple needs to drop all but the 7s as the new entry phone, and the SE for the folks who desire the small form factor. Get rid of the regular iPad and cut the Pro 10,5 by $100. Get rid of the aTV4 and replace it with an Airplay dongle if they want something at the low end.

Two iMac sizes with a couple of processor options is fine. The iMac is from another planet, so I'm fine with that being out there. The Mac Pro shouldn't be left to die, nor should the Mini. Its pretty apparent to me - after buying a 2017 iMac to replace one from 5 years ago, and realizing that there isn't a significant performance difference - that Apple needs to concentrate on the desktop for a little bit.