MP: It's the season to be Jolly

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 24, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hohoho!!...

★Merry Feckin☆ Christmas!!★

Man, I don't know what happened yesterday... but Apple sent me my replacement system, and it arrived (MP 3.2Ghz, 8800GT, 320Gb HD, 2GB RAM) I'd say in pretty much perfect condition along with an additional gift!!
    I can't bleedin believe it, either they screwed up or their carrier did! It's another MP but this is pretty much their base system (MP 2.8Ghz, 8800GT, 320Gb HD, 2GB RAM).

Now, According to the invoice there's supposed to be one MP and an ACD display...

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

So let me get this straight...... You sent in your old MP (3.2ghz) for replacment and they sent you new system of the same type PLUS another baseline MP?

Holy crap, if that's the case you are one lucky person. Personally I'd sit on it for a couple weeks then either sell it so you could recoup from the previous sale OR sell it and get another ACD or two.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a 3.2Gb MP as stated here. About a week later, it arrive damaged, didn't accept the delivery. Complained to Apple regard the package's condition.. a few days later they shipped a replacement reported on this thread. BUT... The other day, it arrived with an added bonus.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sooooo, you sent back a dud 3.2 MP, got that replaced with another, but have then also had a 2.8 MP show up?

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah! Petty much..
    There's supposed to be second box but that should of been another 30" Cinema Display... but it's not.. lol

Perhaps now I can start a mini render farm?

7. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Some studio guy on the other side of town with two monitors and no desktop is probably ripping UPS a few new holes right now. :p

Call up Apple and ask them if they included a magic wand to turn it back into a display... If it's really a mix-up, you'll feel good that you did the right thing... and you could probably get some free software out of them. :D

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Shipping mistakes like this get made. I remember reading a thread where someone got a second MP delievered and asked what to do and eventually ended up delivering across town to the rightful reciepient. It's unlikely Apple are going to let you keep it.

9. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

I'd love to hear that phone conversation...

"But... but... but... I already gave it a name! :("

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... But..... What happens if the paperwork on the second system has my details on it, so does that mean eventually they'll bill me for the second, unordered system? I think legally Apple can't.

11. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

That's... interesting. The paperwork has your info on it? What was the original problem that caused you to send the first system back?

12. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

System arrived with damages, I didn't accept it and refused to sign.

13. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Ouch. Well, I'm not really sure what Apple's move would be in that situation, other than sending you a replacement system. Perhaps whoever you talked to at Apple was having a really good day (or maybe a good night! ;)) and felt like spreading the Christmas spirit.

But yeah, definitely give them a call. The only thing more surprising than receiving an unordered Mac Pro is receiving the bill a few days later!

14. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a company to bill or invoice us for things we didn't order, if it wasn't.. many other companies would be invoicing people for goods..

For now, I don't think I'll say anything, see what will happen between now and the New Year... I'd imagine being the Christmas period, they've extended the time you can make returns.

p.s.... does anyone have a couple of Fibre Channels cards, they ain't using? I might as well make some uses if the system while it's taking up space!

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well I don't know the laws there (you're in Japan right?), but I'm pretty sure there are ways for them to get their stuff back. I mean otherwise there are massive loopholes for fraud. Just because they make a mistake doesn't mean the property is now yours. To me it's the same principal/logic as when banks make errors and people assume they will get to keep the money ;) And I don't want to come off as taking some moral high ground, but to me keeping a system you haven't paid for due to a shipping error is basically theft.

16. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Yeah. I really don't think having the system for a month and then having Apple come knocking at your door is what you'd want to ruin the festivities. Call them up, explain the situation (you didn't get your display, but instead got another computer) and if you make it sound like their mistake has complicated your life enough, you could get some legitimately-free stuff. Just a thought. :p

17. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Theft? It's only theft if I stole it from Apple...
    Which isn't the case here, they sent it me. :)

Anyway I called the almighty Apple just now, cause I'm wondering what to do. Gave them the account number and reference then proceeded to enquired about my shipment.

One of their representatives told me there's no such order on my account, however the system I initially ordered has been shipped. He added... It should be with you in a couple of days, please allow five days for shipping, there might be a delay due to Christmas, expect delivery around end of December :eek: - Does that mean there's something else coming?

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You need to check the local laws for unsolicited goods. Here in the UK, it used to be the case that you had to notify the supplier and request they collect it and if they didn't within 30 days the goods became yours for free.
    However, since 1st November, 2000 you can now treat unsolicited goods as yours from the point of receipt and you have no obligation to even inform the supplier and certainly no obligation to return them.
    Having said that, I guess it would also depend on whether the goods were addressed to you or not - if they weren't then it is an error by the shipping company and you have no claim to the goods at all.

19. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek:

You'll be able to set up your own store soon.

Just to be good I'd return the next batch...

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

21. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ah! Thanks for this info, it's nice to know about our 'laws for unsolicited goods' - TBH I didn't think any such law existed.

22. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I take it, it's coming before the new year!

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That would be the icing on the cake. :D

24. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

System you initially ordered?

Wow. This is getting very confusing, very fast... did they even say anything about the second MP?

25. TrapOx macrumors 6502