Multiple Reviewers Facing Broken Galaxy Fold Devices After Just Days of Use

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2019.

1. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

And reviewers swore a few years ago that we'd all have 3D TV sets.

2. nihil0 macrumors regular

nihil0

One minute late :confused:

3. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

Apple is loving this story, gives them a break from being hammered in the media like they have been these past few months. With that said I wouldn't have bought gen 1 of this phone anyway, I was definitely looking for a new experience from Apple and regular Galaxy devices and this would have been that. Work it out Samsung and come back better with the next generation. To give up would be foolish and a huge waste of R&D.

4. coolfactor macrumors 601

Widespread .... across reviewers. Doesn't need to be in consumer hands, just across the samples provided to date. Widespread can be 80% of 10 units... so 8 of the 10 units fail. Or it can be 80% of 80,000 units. Doesn't matter. It's a percentage. Maybe widespread was a poor choice of word, but its definition matters.

5. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

The mouse charging port is the stupidest thing ever. Poor design move.

6. T-R-S macrumors 6502

T-R-S

If you want to be a pioneer you're gonna have to pay for it.
    Its funny I never felt the need to "fold up" my phone.

7. loybond macrumors 6502

Yeah, that totally sounds like the same thing <facepalm>

"Phones" to most people do stuff that is mostly not phone calls. People prefer larger displays. You can see how a way to have a larger display in a smaller package can work.

8. Intellectua1 Suspended

Intellectua1

I don't think they'll cancel it, that'd be a huge waste of 8 yrs of R&D. They'll come back with a better product.
    It also seems like some people took the protective layer off the screen when they weren't supposed to.

9. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

No, we have it good with Apple.

10. coolfactor macrumors 601

You say that now, because it's new and unfamiliar. But when it becomes mainstream, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

11. kognos macrumors member

I'll give you that, but I do expect that Samsung did have some QA to this. I saw videos of them automating the folding process and putting on record how many times the device should be expected to safely fold in its lifetime in order to validate the screen.

I'm not defending Samsung, just saying if this was a test product not ready for prime time, they wouldn't have really gone through that effort. Perhaps the high price is simply to offset development costs. I guess Samsung didn't really consider that folding a phablet wouldn't occur in a sanetized environment without dust or debris that might break the hinge and/or screen eh??

12. niun macrumors 6502a

niun

Calm down folks.
    My ex had two MBPs replaced due to a sticky W key on the second iteration of butterfly keys.

I think Samsung are allowed more than a few blips on tech that has never been released before. Especially one that was meant for first adopters only .

It's not like anyone is going to lose work and income if the review unit goes blip. If anything this is guaranteed income.
    One thing about the genius bar. They don't take care of lost income, travel expenses or the inconvenience.

13. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Most reviewers received a free unit in exchange for their review. What do you think they're going to say about it?

14. LandRovers macrumors member

LandRovers

There’s still time, we’re only two days in...

15. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

You mean you don’t want to buy 8 pairs
    Of 3D glasses at 100 bucks a pop and walk around your home with them on to watch tv? Lol.

16. loybond macrumors 6502

You're saying in 2005, you were furiously swiping your flip phone screen, saying "why couldn't this be a massive slab of glass with a capacitive touch display that I use only with my fingers and not a stylus?!"

17. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

Well bendgate is already taken so... foldgate?

18. Khedron macrumors 65816

What about this keyboard?

Apple: *runs away*

19. iansilv macrumors 65816

Wow. I didn't see this coming like a huge meteor streaming through a dark night lighting up the sky.

20. ajfahey macrumors regular

ajfahey

How could anyone with any product design experience be surprised that cyclical, reversing bending stress causes endurance stress damage that leads to product failure?

21. Bin Cook macrumors 6502

This is something to blow the competition away and Apple should have been first with Micro LED instead of boring everyone to death with tetchy FaceID, age old designs and price hikes.

Samsung is ghastly company and the two products I had from them fell apart in short order. Avoid like the plague would be my advice. Suspect the Chinese one is even worse.

22. coolfactor macrumors 601

You just had to add that in there, eh? Could you imagine if the car industry came out with a totally different car, with different controls, every single year? You'd have to re-learn how to drive every time you bought a new car. No... sometimes when a product design arrives at near perfection, it's not consumer-friendly to change it for change sake. Meet iPhone. Now go enjoy the great tech you have in your pocket. :)

23. MY_USERNAME macrumors newbie

MY_USERNAME

I don’t know what is worse the malfunctioning screen or the gap in between screens.

24. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

What an absolutely massive failure by Samsung.

After showing videos of their "stress testing" with robots folding the devices and telling us it's rated for 200,000 folds, we have several people with review units that had failures. Imagine the failure rate after a few months of use?

This device is destined to fail. Android is a complete joke on tablets. So you have a useful device (smartphone) that unfolds into a useless device with garbage Apps and support. Makes sense to me.

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The iPhone at the time was new and unfamiliar, even though it had familiar technology like touchscreens. However the product as a whole was intuitive and people got familiar with it pretty quickly.

This doesn't look intuitive to use. Ironically looks like something that would have been thought of back in 2007 as "the future".

Maybe it'll get there and maybe it won't, though this first generation doesn't give me any hope for foldable devices. It might just take the right company making the right product to nail it and then they'll be ubiquitous. Regardless what may happen in the future, this product is a dud.