My Face Unlocks My Brothers X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LewisChapman, Nov 3, 2017.

1. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

My brother collected his white 256GB iPhone X this morning and first things first - it's beautiful! Definitely a fresh design and the screen really is excellent. He's spent most of the day playing with the portrait modes which are a game-changer for him and his business.

Now, FaceID. For the most part it's great and is a realistic alternative to touchID. After setting it all up and using it throughout the day he claims that it's a more seamless process than touchID and feels like a step in the right direction - until I picked it up and it logged me straight in.

My brother and I are similar looking but being 4 years apart we are far from identical twins. How is it that FaceID can't differentiate us? After trying with a few friends and family members the system works as it should with them, just us two!

Any others with similar issues? Is this worth a trip to the Apple store or is this just a freak instance where we have some similar features that are used for identification?

Guess the system just lets any good looking geezer in...

2. serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

If this is really real, can you show pictures of how you two look alike?

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

4. LewisChapman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Yeh sure! Not sure how to show it happening but here’s a picture of us from a couple months back.

Attached Files:

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I definitely can’t tell which one is you.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Thats as close to twins as you could get to be honest. Can see why it can't tell the difference.

7. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Well, your dad doesn’t need a DNA test to to prove you are both his.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is no fault with the Face ID. Your picture is the answer.

9. blacksurfer macrumors regular

True...same momma and daddy. Wow, uncanny resemblance.

10. LewisChapman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Maybe we just can’t see how similar we are then.

Surely this means any twins can unlock each other’s devices?

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Granted that Phil Schiller stated that twins will likely reduce the security of Face ID, and I know you stated you are not twins, but you do have a strong resemblance given the circumstances.

12. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

QUICK... sign an endorsement deal with Samsung to show weakness of their competitor.

In seriousness, you guys are the 1 in a million Apple mentioned. (I imagine the real life number is far lower.) You really are crazy close to identical for 4 years apart.

Microsoft made a big deal about their IR sensor being able to tell twins apart and there are lots of videos showing that it can... I wonder why Apple couldn’t match MS in that respect? Maybe it’s about speed or maybe MS is helped by online processing whereas Apple secures it on the phone for privacy.

Edit to clarify: their sensor in Surface Pro devices. Which works really well by the way.

13. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

this is great. Apple seemed to claim that only twins could do this.

Brothers who are 4 years apart and unlocking each others phones. This is concerning.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's already been tested on YouTube where twins have unlocked their iPhone X's with Face ID. But for the majority, they don't have twins , which would be one out of 1 million to unlock Face ID.

15. Zorn macrumors 65816

Zorn

Pretty sure I remember Apple saying that both twins, and siblings that share a strong resemblance were both a problem for FaceID.

16. ripper998 macrumors regular

That doesnt bode well for security. Alot of companies that relied on touchID for security will use this as a reason not to add FaceID support, especially banks and CC companies.

17. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

I can confirm this issue....

It worked for me and my brother, and we don’t look as similar as you guys! We both have thick eyebrows and a big nose, but that’s it!

My brother has the new Samsung that works with the face recognition and I can’t get into his phone!!!!! Grr

18. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

It could be just as right to say both of them aren't his.

;)

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Yup. From the photo, they look like identical twins honestly. Not surprised FaceID is unlocking.

20. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Lol, I thought you guys were twins from the picture. Yall look VERY similar!

21. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Side effect of the rushed, lower quality TrueDepth system /s

22. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

You may not be twins, but you are eerily similar. I recommend one of you elect to get a nose job, cheek and chin implants, and an eye lift. Small price to pay, really.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It really isn't, 99% of people will think they are twins.

24. Tom G. macrumors 68020

Tom G.

As noted Apple has said that twins and close siblings could trick FID. However, if you can’t trust your twin or close siblings then you have far greater problems then your iPhone security.

25. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

my brother and i are often assumed to be twins though we're 18 months apart..
    i'll see him next weekend in Miami and will be sure to see if he can unlock my X with his face.