Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I have absolutely nothing else to add except seeing you spell “misses” multiple times in your thread is really jarring to me. Your wife is your “missus”.
Sorry my spelling is bad, don’t judge

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
iPhone 12 is not a must have update for people coming from iPhone X-XS-11.

iPhone is a very mature product and doesn't require yearly upgrades. Wait 2-3 years and your next iPhone will surely impress you with new features.

The X is 3 years old now. Either it shouldn't be on your list of "12 is not a must have update" phones or OP needs to wait 4 years + to be impressed...

Hoping it's the former though. I have my 12 Pro on the way to replace my X. I want camera improvements mostly, which I know I'll get having seen my MIL's 11 Pro and the difference Smart HDR makes.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Little early for a “review”, but maybe an initial impression

Nobody should buy this phone for 5G as even here in the states the build out won’t be ramped up until end 2021. Design in my opinion is way better than the 11 series.

As someone who does photography as well, AppleRaw is big. I will be excited to test out the 12 Pro Max.

But thanks for the clickbait 🤣👏🏼

Reactions: Never mind

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well obviously I don’t have a pro, but I think, just based on a the few pictures I’ve taken with my 12, that the camera seems to take crisper photos than my 11 did. And for me, the overall size and weight is nicer on 12 than 11.

But pro users are in a different spot - the 6.1 is bigger than the pro and smaller than the pro max. A lot won’t want to go to the biggest phone, but may not like being smaller.

Good news is, with SO many options out there right now (since places will still be selling 11s and 11 pros/pro maxes), there should be a size for all!

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
To be honest, yearly updates for phones seem entirely unnecessary at this point anyway and I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. I got the Pro.. I didn't need it, I just wanted it, and so that's good enough for me.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
“Feels like any other iPhone” is such a strange critique, like isn’t that kind of the point?

overall the 12 pro is exactly what I expected over my 11PM and I’ll happily enjoy this phone until I replace it with one of the 13s next year.

Reactions: Harthag and chabig

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
A couple of things you left off your list that I think should have been on there in terms of iPhone 12 features:

• Ceramic Shield glass: A legitimate upgrade in crack resistance over the 11 and slightly better scratch resistance
  • Qualcomm modem: Better reception for anyone coming from an Intel modem
  • ProRAW format: If you're a professional photographer you may appreciate this when it arrives
I would also add that the flat screen is going to make screen protectors way better since they can now be edge to edge, if screen protectors are your thing. I would agree that it's not a huge jump from 11 to 12 but I think anybody with a phone previous to the 11 would benefit greatly, especially in the camera department.

My experience is quite different than yours...I'm seeing a huge difference in speed of 5G vs LTE and better reception (T-Mobile low band). I also love the Magsafe and the faster wireless charging you get with it.
The Qualcomm modem was the big one for me. I live in NH and could not get an XS Max to work for me back in 2018 no matter what. Same provider and SIM card. Had horrible connectivity - WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular - to the point of being unusable. I returned 2 XS Max phones and bought a new X with the Qualcomm modem from Best Buy. It’s been a super phone, one of my favorites. It’s now going to my grandson.

This new 12 Pro is working great for me

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
They should of improved faceID at least like make it work from landscape etc just something on daily usage would feel different, it just feels like using an 11 pro phone on average usage

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I have absolutely no complaints........

1. bezels are slightly, slightly smaller
2. screen is bright. I have no yellowing
3. The screen is slightly larger than my iPhone Xs, which is a plus for my eyesight
4. I don’t have 5G at the moment, but I don’t care, it will come out at some point, so I am somewhat future proof
5. I like the flat design over the curved one
6. I fully understood the small improvements year after year now, so I knew what I was getting into before the purchase
7. Since I knew what I was getting into, I would just send it back and not come onto a forum and rant about it. Others know

Screen below. No yellowing

33AA2B39-4FCA-4EE0-8292-50EFA10C368D.jpeg

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
to be fair im on the upgrade plan and I do love having the latest tech but im still upset
There is your answer. iPhones really don't need to be updated more often than every 3 years. The upgrades from year to year are not worth it one bit.

Reactions: Never mind

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Also worth mentioning might mode on the front facing camera just puts the flash on like the whole screen one and you can’t turn it off, it looks in natural, it doesn’t have a true night mode like the back camera, the marketing images are completely off

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
OP is more or less right if you're coming from an 11 Pro; however, if you're coming from a X, XS, XR you're going to LOVE the camera and will appreciate the fresh new battery. And if you're coming from an 8 or earlier you will be positively delighted for a multitude of reasons.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Biggest issue I have with these new phones is the battery life. From the tests I've seen the 11 Pro Max crushes all of them (expected) but also the 11 Pro beats out all of the new models both regular and Pro. That to me is disappointing.

There is no way the 12 Pro Max will be the 11 Pro Max in battery life and for me that is just not something I'm willing to go back on right now just for the sake of flat edges.

Reactions: vistokid

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I know i gave it a pretty negative review last night, but thats mainly because the half box it comes with is a bit of a "buzz kill" + no charger, and the phone is nice but its so long a narrow! The upside of this is its SUPER easy to hold in the hand, but much longer than i was expecting!

Reactions: edhchoe

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I have absolutely no complaints........

1. bezels are slightly, slightly smaller
2. screen is bright. I have no yellowing
3. The screen is slightly larger than my iPhone Xs, which is a plus for my eyesight
4. I don’t have 5G at the moment, but I don’t care, it will come out at some point, so I am somewhat future proof
5. I like the flat design over the curved one
6. I fully understood the small improvements year after year now, so I knew what I was getting into before the purchase
7. Since I knew what I was getting into, I would just send it back and not come onto a forum and rant about it. Others know

Screen below. No yellowing

View attachment 973183
I don’t know if you’re aware, but taking a screenshot isn’t going to show us the state of your actual screen. It’s not showing your screen at all. Your screen could have a completely purple hue and be broken in half and it would still show what you just posted.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Op will get flamed, I agree though after seeing both side by side today, not worth swapping my 11 pro for. Maybe next year Apple will come with something more interesting.
It will be an absolutely enormous upgrade. I am sure.

/s

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I welcome the lighter weight of 12 compared to Xs.
12 Mini will be awesome! ???

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ummm those who upgrade yearly will be more and more disappointed and will continue to be. For the last 5 years since the iPhone 6 there is barely a reason to upgrade yearly. It’s been well know the vast majority of iPhone users upgrade every 2-3 years.

So sorry apple can’t knock your socks off every year. These are now utilities, like a car, like a frying pan, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.