Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I truly can't believe this worked!

The first time I tried this I partially ejected the SIM card, turned off the phone, and waited 15 minutes.

I reinserted the SIM after waiting, and then turned on the phone. I was able to make the phone drop down to no bars consistently using the death grip. Full bars to no bars every time I tried ( I did this about 15 times).

I then read the post about having to wait twenty minutes, and thought I would try again without waiting. This time I took the SIM all the way out, turned off the phone, and reposistioned it. After no wait, I reinserted the SIM and turned the phone back on. Now, I cannot get the signal to drop no matter how I hold it!

I keep trying to make them drop with the deathgrip and trying to cover all the seams. Nothing! Full bars and it won't budge. I even placed a call and tried to make it drop or get the bars to drop. Full bars still.

Amazing fix! Thanks OP!:D

You were able to reproduce the issue immediately before doing the fix?

iphoneguy123

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I got it to work! Here are some pictures, I apologize for the poor quality.

EDIT: DO NOT DO THIS. My signal issues came back, information below is for reference ONLY!

First of all - Mine did not wiggle. - I HAD TO SLIGHTLY CUT THE OPPOSITE END OF THE CONTACTS. It cuts very easily with scissors. Be careful you do not cut too much or the sim will not sit in the tray!

Before:
photofl.jpg

After:
photdo.jpg

I realize the pictures look similar. But there is a gap between the contacts and that is enough to fix it! No dropped calls, calls go instantly and no bars lost in any grip!

Better quality pictures coming.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Uh I have a possible reason this fixed the problem.

After taking my sim card out to test this I inspected it closer for the first time.

The metal part of the sim card is not centered and is contacting the sim tray. The sim tray is steel and the sim tray is contacting the outer antenna band. Once you touch the phone, this could be causing a sim issue.

If when you touch the antenna line on the lower left it changes the state of frequency, power or what ever, it might actually be messing with the sim card.

The metal on the sim is connected to the sim tray, the sim tray is connected to the antenae and the antenae is connected to your hand when you touch the phone.

Take a look at your sim card and see if the metal is just off center enough to touch the tray. This might be so simple it's stupid nobody has thought of this.

Looks like Shawntkeating may have figured out a solution!! Way to go!!

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Well, just like in Disney's Hercules, I still have a drop of power left. ;)

Keep trying arn, many people here report it isn't a 1 shot thing anyways.

I’m confused. If it’s touching the metal, how are you going to keep it from touching, like in arn’s pic? How is this pic supposed to look ideally (or normally)?

We need lots of pics!

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
interesting thread...

someone send this thread to arn so he can put it on the front page. it needs more exposure.

i'm gonna submit it to engadget.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Don't touch my sim cards again.

Steve.

-Sent from my iPhone.

ha!

I feel quite a bit of relief now that my phone is truly trouble free now.

I keep doing the full on grip and the bars stay at 5, calls are fine, 3g fine.. why isn't this on the front page ?!?!?!

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
ok, it worked for me. i never had a dropped call or had searching for signal but my bars would go down. i had done some speed tests before and when touched, it would go from 3 mbps to around 300-700 kbps or the test would just stop. now, no matter how i hold it, or for how long, i get a consistent 3 mbps.

centerline15

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
You were able to reproduce the issue immediately before doing the fix?

Immediately. I was making the bars drop right before I repositioned the SIM.That is way I was so shocked. I have a bumper, so I wasn't really worrying about the signal dropping while holding it. I just had to try this though, and it still works. i am still trying to get the signal to drop.

donoage

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Just by re inserting the simcard, the signal seems like it gets sorted out for a while. I just took out my simcard, reinserted back in without readjusting its position. I didnt have any signal loss no matter how I held my phone. but after about 5 min, its back to the same issue. (I don't completely lose my signal but the bars drop to 1 to 2 bars)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Are people really this desperate for a solution?

This can't be the primary problem. Maybe the OP had another problem which was fixed by taking the SIM out. But its not reasonable to think this is the primary reception problem people are having. SIM cards are not part of the RF reception path. Its a digital card which provides information to the phone about your account and the providers network. Not analog, no RF.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Immediately. I was making the bars drop right before I repositioned the SIM.That is way I was so shocked. I have a bumper, so I wasn't really worrying about the signal dropping while holding it. I just had to try this though, and it still works. i am still trying to get the signal to drop.

I'm just confused why all of a sudden I can't reproduce the issue. I'm not discrediting this solution--it just seems odd.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
has anyone else noticed a coating on the sim tray where the sim card lies? Maybe this coating wasn't properly applied?

I'm starting to wonder that myself - it could all make some level of sense if there's supposed to be a non-conductive coating of some kind applied to all the parts external on the phone or that potentially could come into contact with skin or even a potential shorting situation.

Oh it just rolls on... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.