Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
95C and fans at 2000 RPM. It doesn't look good. Fans should be at 6200 RPM when your at 95C

Yep:rolleyes:

With Terminal (x2) open with the full load and application open, the temps are between 90-99, fans between 2000RPM and 3300RPM.

Should I email the Rep at Apple (since he hasn't contacted me when he said he would) and tell him what I've found? I fear he will either speak to Amsys who replaced the logic board and scratched it, or tell me that it's been repaired and the Log says it's working fine. Does replacing the Logic board replace the fans too ?

EDIT: The program also give me an estimated time frame to render. Prior to this whole incident it would take around 10 minutes, it's now sitting at 51 minutes which is strange.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I emailed Apple about a hour ago and I've just got a call from Amsys. They asked me to open activity monitor and run a few programs, after running Archicad the CPU% is 190. They said they will call me back within an hour.

Whilst I was waiting for the CAD program to open my design in 3D, the guy at Amsys said " You know Apple don't regard these machine as Professional units" :eek: OMG ! I CAN'T BELIVE HE JUST SAID THAT :eek:. I said what do you mean, he replied " Well the MAC PRO IS THE ONLY UNIT APPLE CONSIDER AS PROFESSIONAL ". I said, well Apple needs to recall all their macbook pro's and remove the name 'pro' as that is what is says on the bezel and Apple advertise them as graphically used machines with a high spec than a 'non pro' labelled unit. (take a look at their webpage, it shows games, aperture etc. running across all Macbook Pro's )

LOL, I know what he means in that my machine is a laptop and doesn't have 8 cores, but saying a Macbook PRO isn't classed as a Pro machine is ridiculous.

It looks like the guy at Apple doesn't want to speak to me for whatever reason. Amsys though I called someont at their workshop, not Apple. I told him I've emailed Apple as the Rep. told me to as soon as I get the unit back.

... Now I have to wait another hour or so for them to probably tell me it's the software :rolleyes:. Which means Graphisoft and Adobe are in trouble :rolleyes:

silverhkswrx

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I emailed Apple about a hour ago and I've just got a call from Amsys. They asked me to open activity monitor and run a few programs, after running Archicad the CPU% is 190. They said they will call me back within an hour.

Whilst I was waiting for the CAD program to open my design in 3D, the guy at Amsys said " You know Apple don't regard these machine as Professional units" :eek: OMG ! I CAN'T BELIVE HE JUST SAID THAT :eek:. I said what do you mean, he replied " Well the MAC PRO IS THE ONLY UNIT APPLE CONSIDER AS PROFESSIONAL ". I said, well Apple needs to recall all their macbook pro's and remove the name 'pro' as that is what is says on the bezel and Apple advertise them as graphically used machines with a high spec than a 'non pro' labelled unit. (take a look at their webpage, it shows games, aperture etc. running across all Macbook Pro's )

LOL, I know what he means in that my machine is a laptop and doesn't have 8 cores, but saying a Macbook PRO isn't classed as a Pro machine is ridiculous.

It looks like the guy at Apple doesn't want to speak to me for whatever reason. Amsys though I called someont at their workshop, not Apple. I told him I've emailed Apple as the Rep. told me to as soon as I get the unit back.

... Now I have to wait another hour or so for them to probably tell me it's the software :rolleyes:. Which means Graphisoft and Adobe are in trouble :rolleyes:
opinions are funny.

I know that in my case, my mac gets hot also. im in class and i use photoshop, illustrator at the same time on a regular basis.

im just surprised that my keyboard isn't hot, nor is it to a temperature i should be worried about. Funny thing is, this "kid" at amsys is probably a pc fan boy.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
opinions are funny.

I know that in my case, my mac gets hot also. im in class and i use photoshop, illustrator at the same time on a regular basis.

im just surprised that my keyboard isn't hot, nor is it to a temperature i should be worried about. Funny thing is, this "kid" at amsys is probably a pc fan boy.

Could be, but he had to open up activity monitor on his Mac to tell me what do do. I wonder what they are discussing, TBH I couldn't care less what his College says because he/she's not using it. I wouldn't be making such a fuss if I wasn't concerned, they are making me look like the 'bad one'. I'm sure I read in consumer Rights or something that if a problem isn't fixed within 6 weeks, they have to give you a new one. Well that's only two weeks away and I'm sure if I find this documentation and forward it to Apple, they will go have no choice but to go by the law.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Amsys just called me. He said that they have run Photoshop on a unit the same as mine and got temps between 80C-90C and fans of 3500RPM. I said exactly, my fans are not reaching that RPM etc. I said that Photoshop can't be compared to ArchiCAD as they are in a different league basically, so he said well if that's the case then the temps will go up. I said, yes maybe so but the fans are not cooling the system... Additionally, my machine is more than capable of running the program etc. so it's not as if the process of 3D views are taking a toll on the system as the machine can run it, it just doesn't do it 'properly'

He said I can send it in again, but I told him it's been sent out for 4 weeks already so I said about going to consumer direct, he said I need to speak to Apple....

So I'm calling CR at Apple and hopefully he will answer his phone!

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Apple just called me.

He said that he is getting confirmation of a New unit (i5) and will call me back. He said I will be without a computer for a few days though, until they receive my unit then end out a new one.

EDIT: Sure enough they are giving me a new one :)

Waffmeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Norway
I just spent the last hour going through your thread and I'm happy for the result of your hard work!

I've got an 13" MBP that was purchased in december 09 and I thought it was running a bit hot. This thread has educated me a bit and now i know what to look out for. Thanks! :)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I just spent the last hour going through your thread and I'm happy for the result of your hard work!

I've got an 13" MBP that was purchased in december 09 and I thought it was running a bit hot. This thread has educated me a bit and now i know what to look out for. Thanks! :)

Longer threads are always the best :p

What was your reaction to this whole mess ?

BTW I didn't ask for a replacement today (I did 2 weeks ago) but when Apple called he said that replacement would be suitable.

Look like Apple do take care of their customers :apple:

Waffmeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Norway
Longer threads are always the best :p

What was your reaction to this whole mess ?

BTW I didn't ask for a replacement today (I did 2 weeks ago) but when Apple called he said that replacement would be suitable.

Look like Apple do take care of their customers :apple:

Well, first I was afraid, then appalled and now I feel okay again :) Since I've been worrying about my lap (due to the heat) and imagining that it's hotter when I have the power supply connected, I've been thinking of taking it in for a look. I did call Apple once, got some tech guy that told me to do all kinds of keyboard combinations for resetting something with the fan. Didn't notice any difference though.. :rolleyes:

Now I've got iStat onboard and will try to stress the CPU to see if I'm just imagining things or not...

Keep us updated regarding the replacement, if it ever arrives and if it performs better :D

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You should have asked to pay for the upgraded i7. They normaly let customers pay the differnece if they chose to. Oh, and the Core i5 and i7 do get hot to. When I did the terminal window on a i7 and then an i5 at the store, fans were at 4500 RPM, and CPU temp was 205F-213F. Thats under 106C, but still very hot.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Well, first I was afraid, then appalled and now I feel okay again :) Since I've been worrying about my lap (due to the heat) and imagining that it's hotter when I have the power supply connected, I've been thinking of taking it in for a look. I did call Apple once, got some tech guy that told me to do all kinds of keyboard combinations for resetting something with the fan. Didn't notice any difference though.. :rolleyes:

Now I've got iStat onboard and will try to stress the CPU to see if I'm just imagining things or not...

Keep us updated regarding the replacement, if it ever arrives and if it performs better :D

I know how you feel, I've read the threads about yellowing on the new Hi-Res screens and also the freeze issues with the core i5/i7:( . Just seems like I need another checklist to ensure I'm not getting a lemon...

I guess if there is anything wrong with it I can just send it back.

One thing with iStat Pro is that is won't be as accurate as what the technicians use and they will tell you this. My unit was 106C which means even if it was - / + 5C then it would still be extreme at 101C !

What temperatures are you receiving ?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
You should have asked to pay for the upgraded i7. They normaly let customers pay the differnece if they chose to. Oh, and the Core i5 and i7 do get hot to. When I did the terminal window on a i7 and then an i5 at the store, fans were at 4500 RPM, and CPU temp was 205F-213F. Thats under 106C, but still very hot.

I was considering this (and have done this in the past, went from 15" to 17") but I wasn't sure what performance boost I will see.

I will possibly be selling it a year from now, so that it has 3 months of Applecare left for customers peace of mine (eBay) assuming of course that by Q2 2011 there is a better chip than i5/i7 (sandy bridge)

Also, the money I would have spend on the CPU could go towards an external monitor I'm looking at buying. I know that the difference between my existing model (C2D) and i5 is pretty large anyway (now sure how much though, I'm looking for figures). Apple did tell me that the GHz from my existing to new model is lower, however the processor is faster anyway.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I was considering this (and have done this in the past, went from 15" to 17") but I wasn't sure what performance boost I will see.

I will possibly be selling it a year from now, so that it has 3 months of Applecare left for customers peace of mine (eBay) assuming of course that by Q2 2011 there is a better chip than i5/i7 (sandy bridge)

Also, the money I would have spend on the CPU could go towards an external monitor I'm looking at buying. I know that the difference between my existing model (C2D) and i5 is pretty large anyway (now sure how much though, I'm looking for figures). Apple did tell me that the GHz from my existing to new model is lower, however the processor is faster anyway.

Are they sending you the base 2.4 GHz core i5?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Oh yeah. I forgot you had the 17" MBP. If you were getting the base 15: with a 2.4. Then I would have upgraded, but a 2.53 GHz Core i5 would be fine. Well. I just want you to be warned that these new MBPs have high temps too. Just as high as your old one.

But don't the fans go above 3500RPM to at least try and cool the system. Also , as long as the system doesn't crash or slow down, I will be happy.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
But don't the fans go above 3500RPM to at least try and cool the system. Also , as long as the system doesn't crash or slow down, I will be happy.

I hope but I tested an i5 2.53. And an i7 and temps were shooting up to 215F with fans at 3500 on both. Both i7 and i5 has a thermal limit of 105C My moms MBP C2D also has the same 105C limit but stays at 180F-190F under full load with fans at 6200RPM. So it is interesting.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I hope but I tested an i5 2.53. And an i7 and temps were shooting up to 215F with fans at 3500 on both. Both i7 and i5 has a thermal limit of 105C My moms MBP C2D also has the same 105C limit but stays at 180F-190F under full load with fans at 6200RPM. So it is interesting.

Hmm, very interesting. Well I've read that some unit are having a few issues so hopefully the next release of OS X will fix this. I recall this happening to the majority of new chips and are usually resolved by firmware (I hope)

Waffmeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Norway
I know how you feel, I've read the threads about yellowing on the new Hi-Res screens and also the freeze issues with the core i5/i7:( . Just seems like I need another checklist to ensure I'm not getting a lemon...

I guess if there is anything wrong with it I can just send it back.

One thing with iStat Pro is that is won't be as accurate as what the technicians use and they will tell you this. My unit was 106C which means even if it was - / + 5C then it would still be extreme at 101C !

What temperatures are you receiving ?

I did a test today running the yes > /dev/null command in two terminal windows and my CPU got to 98 degrees before the fans cooled it to 94-96.

The fans didn't kick in before the heatsink temp went to 75 though, then first, it went from 2000rpm to 3200 rpm at a maximum.

It should be mention it was from a cold start so there wasn't much temp from the beginning.

So it seams to me on this easy test that the heatsink sensor is the one that controlls the fans since it regulates the fans to keep it at 75. (The rpm went up and down around 3000 to keep it at 75 degrees)

I'll do some monitoring later today when i'll work with some video stuff.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
OK, I was supposed to receive the replacement unit yesterday, after 3 days of sending my broke unit back to Apple (5days without Mac, with the weekend). I waited until 3pm today and decided to call Apple customer relations as the Rep. didn't response to my email.

They said that it can take up to 2 WEEKS before I get a replacement because it's coming from China. I said that the rep. who was handling my case told me it will take 3 days and should be with me by today at the latest. They said that this is not true...

I've emailed the Rep. again and asked for compensation. By the time I receive the replacement, it will be 6 WEEKS after I sent it off for the first inspection. 6 weeks without a Mac. Sure they are giving me a new one, but there's not another option (and they suggested this not me), so I feel that a £55 keyboard is minimal for the crap I've been through.

Just when I thought Apple were finally getting their act together, this happens :rolleyes:

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've contacted Apple again today. I spoke to a different CR Rep. who said that he will first contact the previous CR Rep. to see what's going on.

Long story short, my Mac will be with me on Thursday morning (still in china) and the CR Rep. will ring me Thursday afternoon to make sure the unit it working ok (shouldn't the assume it already does, if you bought online/in store, they don't ask you to confirm the performance :confused:... unless they think I'm picky which I'm not!)

Now I need to decide what I want in compensation as this will also be discussed on Thursday. At the very least I want an iPod Touch.... I'm also thinking about what kind of deal they can do on a 24" ACD as a external monitor would be my next purchase and what better than to get a discounted Apple monitor! (though I doubt it, or expect it TBH)

Yes it has crossed my mind that people on here will think I'm 'greedy' but I'm not. I haven't had ANYTHING near to what Apple are known for and advertise, in terms of their service. 6 weeks (well over 6 weeks) without a Mac calls for more than a £40 iPod shuffle :p

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I've contacted Apple again today. I spoke to a different CR Rep. who said that he will first contact the previous CR Rep. to see what's going on.

Long story short, my Mac will be with me on Thursday morning (still in china) and the CR Rep. will ring me Thursday afternoon to make sure the unit it working ok (shouldn't the assume it already does, if you bought online/in store, they don't ask you to confirm the performance :confused:... unless they think I'm picky which I'm not!)

Now I need to decide what I want in compensation as this will also be discussed on Thursday. At the very least I want an iPod Touch.... I'm also thinking about what kind of deal they can do on a 24" ACD as a external monitor would be my next purchase and what better than to get a discounted Apple monitor! (though I doubt it, or expect it TBH)

Yes it has crossed my mind that people on here will think I'm 'greedy' but I'm not. I haven't had ANYTHING near to what Apple are known for and advertise, in terms of their service. 6 weeks (well over 6 weeks) without a Mac calls for more than a £40 iPod shuffle :p

Hey buddy,

Glad for you!!!!

haven't followed this thread for a bit but a new i5 is amazing (i've got one)

Glad you got satisfaction (don't worry about the delay at least it's sorted)
Cheers,
John

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
OMG, I received it today and it has a Core i7 2.66 chip :eek:

Apple have upgraded my unit without even telling me! Maybe that's why it took so long?

I'm composing an email to the rep. who is suppose to be calling me tomorrow (which is when it should have been delivered) to check that everything is ok.

I'm emailing him now to say that everything is working perfectly and he can call me today if he wishes. Should I mention/thank him that I got a core i7 rather than the core i5 ? Do you think he already knows ?

This is great plus Apple are still agreeing to give me compensation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.