Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've just received a call from a company called ' Amsys'. They asked me what the problems were and I explained. They are collecting my Mac tomorrow.

I've just looked up who they are, and they are similar to group 8 but seem to offer more services. I wonder if Apple though that I had a problem with Group 8 (which I do ) and so they have decided to take my Mac elsewhere...

http://www.amsys.co.uk/index.html

I wonder how fast their service turn around is.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Can't Apple just fix it themselves? Doesn't Apple have their own depot? Also why didn't customer service tell Amsys the problem? All you need now is just a logic board replacement and some good luck.
Keep us all updated.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Can't Apple just fix it themselves? Doesn't Apple have their own depot? Also why didn't customer service tell Amsys the problem? All you need now is just a logic board replacement and some good luck.
Keep us all updated.

I know right!

The CR at Apple told me on Friday that HE will call AFTER 2pm today to arrange a collection (I assume) but instead I've being called up at 12.20 by a company I've never dealt with. The fact that I have a sore throat didn't help as I only wen't over the points briefly but they will have it all on their system anyway.

I've just done a MROOGLE search and found mixed reviews about Amsys... We'll have to see what they can deliver when they return it!

Thank god for WWDC being today... I need something to look forward to :p

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Don't you get cold plate things that you put laptops on to intentionally try to keep them cool..?
I waited to see this statement posted,
and it's exactly what I have been doing since 05.

You can't possible call it a laptop when it burns french toast. My lap.
So your right, I always use the thick kitchen aluminum prep thaw plater to set the laptop on, and it works great.

No added fans stressed out, and No crashing.
Not to say something is out of spec, but it lived 5 years and still going.

Second option I use if application calls for it, is block the laptop up in front a 1/2', and use small fan to scoot cool air under it.

It's no different than building funny cars, it's always something.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Ok, I've just recieved another call from Apple, which I was suppose to get 2 days ago but I kept emailing him...

He said that the service provider have replaced the logic board and I should recieved it by Tuesday:rolleyes:. I'm truly dissapointed in Apples service at this point in time. They have had my Mac for 4 weeks and they told me that I will have it by this weekend... They said they are testing it first, even though the tests don't take more than 3 days... they could test it in less than one day.

:mad: Really angry now, I know that the logic board has been replaced but the fact that I've been treated like a nobody and been taked for a ride for 3 week has seriously pissed me off.Not what I expect at all from Apple.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I'm glad for ya! that piece of dirt is finally replaced...

poor show on Apple's part/ the AASP

Well repaired... I will have to wait and see if 4 weeks of wait was really worth it:p

I feel like asking Apple for a good will gesture but I'm not really like that, even though as a big company who are based on consumers they have not provided me with the service I paid for...

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Well repaired... I will have to wait and see if 4 weeks of wait was really worth it:p
I feel like asking Apple for a good will gesture but I'm not really like that, even though as a big company who are based on consumers they have not provided me with the service I paid for...
May I suggest you write a letter to Apple? They deserve the feedback on this fiasco. Keep it simple, a chronological report of what happened, and the fact that you are seriously disappointed in the company's service and slow turnaround. Using strong language will have no beneficial result, so keep it civil. Send it to S. Jobs, well it will probably get sidetracked to a customer service rep. But you never know. His e-mail address has been posted, can't remember it right now, but a google search should turn it up. Please don't let them off the hook easily, IMO, you deserve some compensation!

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
May I suggest you write a letter to Apple? They deserve the feedback on this fiasco. Keep it simple, a chronological report of what happened, and the fact that you are seriously disappointed in the company's service and slow turnaround. Using strong language will have no beneficial result, so keep it civil. Send it to S. Jobs, well it will probably get sidetracked to a customer service rep. But you never know. His e-mail address has been posted, can't remember it right now, but a google search should turn it up. Please don't let them off the hook easily, IMO, you deserve some compensation!

I started to compose an email to Steve in readyness invade the situation got worse but at that point I was so annoyed I didn't finish it. The customer relations representatives didn't think that I had been treated too badly. I asked him today " Is this the normal level of service apple give to their customers? It's taken 4 weeks for my mac to be repaired plus the incidents that have happened in between..." he replied "It took a little longer for us to find the fault"

I should have pushed him further and asked for something 'extra' but wasn't sure how to word it exactly.

Prior to today's call I asked him why has my mac been sent to a different company in an email, but he didn't get back to me and I kind of forgot to ask him again.

I will be closley inspecting it on Monday/Tuesday when I receive it. The Apple rep said that I have his email if there are any problems. ( I think he also said he'd call on Tuesday but I doubt he will). So I have his email, maybe I could stress my dissapointment (even thigh he know I'm dissapointed) and in a round about way ask for compensation, it will be easier in an email I think. I'd be happy with a bluetooth keyboard (should I specify this) but again I don't want to sound desperate, nor do I want to let it go.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'm guessing that the heat sink was the problem. Maybe the fans rely on the heat sink thermal sensor for temps. If the copper plates were not correctly glued to the cheap crappy thermal pipes, then the thermal sensor glues to the heat pipe won't get an accurate temp, and then won't boost up the fan's speed. So a poor heatsink, and the sensor not revving up the fans is my guess to why it gets so hot. But the CPU, GPU have a thermal diode built it, and that gets reported to the system, so if the computer sees the temps that high, it should boost up the fans anyways. So I don't know If the system uses the temps of the heat sink or the chips to control the fans. I would hope they use the temps on the actual chips, and not the heat sink.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Well it turns out Apple lied to be yet again. Amsys, the Service provider who have repaired my Mac called me today and said that I should receive my Mac tomorrow. On Friday Apple told me I will recieve it today, well on Thursday they told me I would receive it by the weekend (2 days ago)

Amsys said that they are Apple's number one service provider and the largest in the UK. Apple decided to send it to their #1 after 3 weeks of the other service provider messing me about which is quite odd. Amsys also said that whilst they didn't always get the temps to 106C, the temps they were receiving were very high and not acceptable. Group 8/Apple on the other hand said that 106C is fine and certainly anything below that is nothing to worry about:rolleyes:. If Apple sent it to Amsys 4 weeks ago when I requested the repair, none of this would have happened and I would be pleased with Apple.

Due to Apple's service being very poor, I'm writing an email to the Customer Relations Rep asking for compensation. Again, if the issues were resolved 2/3 weeks ago I wouldn't do this but because they have taken the piss I'm furious and want compensating

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Well it turns out Apple lied to be yet again. Amsys, the Service provider who have repaired my Mac called me today and said that I should receive my Mac tomorrow. On Friday Apple told me I will recieve it today, well on Thursday they told me I would receive it by the weekend (2 days ago)

Amsys said that they are Apple's number one service provider and the largest in the UK. Apple decided to send it to their #1 after 3 weeks of the other service provider messing me about which is quite odd. Amsys also said that whilst they didn't always get the temps to 106C, the temps they were receiving were very high and not acceptable. Group 8/Apple on the other hand said that 106C is fine and certainly anything below that is nothing to worry about:rolleyes:. If Apple sent it to Amsys 4 weeks ago when I requested the repair, none of this would have happened and I would be pleased with Apple.

Due to Apple's service being very poor, I'm writing an email to the Customer Relations Rep asking for compensation. Again, if the issues were resolved 2/3 weeks ago I wouldn't do this but because they have taken the piss I'm furious and want compensating

Well when you get it back tomorrow, let us know if the issue of the high temps was fixed. I hope Amsys decided to test your mac AFTER they "fixed" it to make sure it was actually resolved. I bet that Apple sent it to Group 8 because it was cheaper instead of using their number one service provider. I still don't know why Apple can't fix it themselves.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Well when you get it back tomorrow, let us know if the issue of the high temps was fixed. I hope Amsys decided to test your mac AFTER they "fixed" it to make sure it was actually resolved. I bet that Apple sent it to Group 8 because it was cheaper instead of using their number one service provider. I still don't know why Apple can't fix it themselves.

I certinally will. I feel Amsys actually care about me though unlike apple/group 8.

Repaired or not I will still request compensation for the 4 weeks they've had it. In fact I emailed the rep 12 hours ago but he hasn't replied... Maybe he's waiting until tomorrow.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I certinally will. I feel Amsys actually care about me though unlike apple/group 8.

Repaired or not I will still request compensation for the 4 weeks they've had it. In fact I emailed the rep 12 hours ago but he hasn't replied... Maybe he's waiting until tomorrow.

I wonderwhat will happen if you ask for compensation. Apple is told by the devil (group 8) that th issue was normal, and told by the angel (Amsys) that it was a actual problem. Which side would Apple chose? And I hope they do something like give you a magic mouse or something.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I wonderwhat will happen if you ask for compensation. Apple is told by the devil (group 8) that th issue was normal, and told by the angel (Amsys) that it was a actual problem. Which side would Apple chose? And I hope they do something like give you a magic mouse or something.

I know that is what I wrote in the email too. Apple will possible palm me off by saying “We didn't have to replace the logic board as Group 8 didn't find a fault". I will just tell them what's done is done, I've been without a computer for 4 weeks (well Mac) and I want compensating for the time wasted. I was going to suggest a Apple Wireless Keyboard as this will be of more use to me (I'm contemplating getting a external monitor) but firstly I will see if he suggests anything (like a Nano = £80-£90 on eBay )

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I know that is what I wrote in the email too. Apple will possible palm me off by saying “We didn't have to replace the logic board as Group 8 didn't find a fault". I will just tell them what's done is done, I've been without a computer for 4 weeks (well Mac) and I want compensating for the time wasted. I was going to suggest a Apple Wireless Keyboard as this will be of more use to me (I'm contemplating getting a external monitor) but firstly I will see if he suggests anything (like a Nano = £80-£90 on eBay )

Yeah b Amsys DID find a fault with it right? That's why they are putting in a new logic board. And yes you should be compressed or all the wasted time.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Yeah b Amsys DID find a fault with it right? That's why they are putting in a new logic board. And yes you should be compressed or all the wasted time.

Amsys are putting in a new logic board because Apple told them to. Before they did this though they contacted me to ask me to explain what's going on. Today they said that they did see temps of 106C occasionally and also 100C and that they are too high and " Not acceptable ", so I have Amsys to back me up on this. The only thing is the Rep. who is handling my case has been brain washed with the BS Group 8 have told him (since he's not technical) so I will have to see how this turns out tomorrow... Can't Wait :D (seriously!)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Amsys are putting in a new logic board because Apple told them to. Before they did this though they contacted me to ask me to explain what's going on. Today they said that they did see temps of 106C occasionally and also 100C and that they are too high and " Not acceptable ", so I have Amsys to back me up on this. The only thing is the Rep. who is handling my case has been brain washed with the BS Group 8 have told him (since he's not technical) so I will have to see how this turns out tomorrow... Can't Wait :D (seriously!)

So one apple authorized service provider says it's acceptable and re other says it's not. Apple wastes your time with the ****** one. They should do some good for you.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
So one apple authorized service provider says it's acceptable and re other says it's not. Apple wastes your time with the ****** one. They should do some good for you.

Exactly! Hmmm, should I ask for a Magic Mouse AND BT Keyboard :eek: . Afterall, the Rep. told me it's not at all about the money (when I asked for a replacement after 2 weeks of nothing) so I will say I will be satisfied with 2 items :D :p

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
finally got it back, just 5 minutes ago. There are 3 scratches on the top lid and a few more light scratched on the bottom (I know there were already some on the bottom)

I'm running my software now and so far it's at 70C fans 2000rpm.

I will let Apple know what's happening and tell them about the scratches (but I don't want them 'having a go ' at the company who just repaired my Mac as they seemed like nice people )

EDIT: Temperature is not 95C and fans are 2000RPM. It doesn't look like it's 'fixed' but again, the company said it is, so I'm going to try running different software.Now at 101C and 2240RPM.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2001-01-05 at 12.36.27.png
    Screen shot 2001-01-05 at 12.36.27.png
    540.5 KB · Views: 131

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
finally got it back, just 5 minutes ago. There are 3 scratches on the top lid and a few more light scratched on the bottom (I know there were already some on the bottom)

I'm running my software now and so far it's at 70C fans 2000rpm.

I will let Apple know what's happening and tell them about the scratches (but I don't want them 'having a go ' at the company who just repaired my Mac as they seemed like nice people )

Lets hope it stays cooler. Open up 2 terminal windows, and type in yes > /dev/null into both windows, and hit enter.
This will put a full load on the CPU. Then while it does that, run your program that causes it to heat up anyways. Keep it doing that for a while, and monitor the fan speeds and temps, and let me know how its going.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Lets hope it stays cooler. Open up 2 terminal windows, and type in yes > /dev/null into both windows, and hit enter.
This will put a full load on the CPU. Then while it does that, run your program that causes it to heat up anyways. Keep it doing that for a while, and monitor the fan speeds and temps, and let me know how its going.

When I type in yes > /dev/null and press enter, should the terminal window display anything else ?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2001-01-05 at 12.40.43.png
    Screen shot 2001-01-05 at 12.40.43.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 79

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
When I type in yes > /dev/null and press enter, should the terminal window display anything else ?

Type yes > /dev/null into one windows only and hit enter. The open up another terminal window and do the same. It looks like you typed yes > dev/null into one window twice. And then once you do this, look at activity monitor. You CPU should be under full load.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Type yes > /dev/null into one windows only and hit enter. The open up another terminal window and do the same. It looks like you typed yes > dev/null into one window twice. And then once you do this, look at activity monitor. You CPU should be under full load.

OK. The Activity monitor is on 98% user, temp 95C 2000RPM fans. Now I'm going to open my program and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.