Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have a Core 2 Duo, these don't have turbo boost do they ?

I enjoyed watching by CPU go from 40 to 106C whilst the fans did nothing, other than go from 2000rpm to 2012rpm... proving to Apple that I was and still am correct.

When the Logic board gets replaced, what else gets replaced with it ? I'm not sure which components are soldered on...

The entire motherboard and all chips on it, graphics card included. Your drives, wifi card and some other daughterboards are left alone, but most of your Mac gets replaced with a logic board swap. It pretty much becomes a refurbished Mac. I went through two logic board swaps on my old non unibody MBP. Both were due to the GPU cooking it.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
The entire motherboard and all chips on it, graphics card included. Your drives, wifi card and some other daughterboards are left alone, but most of your Mac gets replaced with a logic board swap. It pretty much becomes a refurbished Mac. I went through two logic board swaps on my old non unibody MBP. Both were due to the GPU cooking it.

Looks like I will have trouble trying to cook the replacement :p. If only they would inspect it before replacing the logic board ' due to software issues' then I have a better chance of repalcement (AKA after I run some more intensive apps)

Why on earth don't Apple just replace the unit? I mean whats left to replace; Screen, enclosure, keys and HDD ?( not sure if this equates to less than the value of the logic board and chips) That way they know there won't be any come back with issues...

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I have a Core 2 Duo, these don't have turbo boost do they ?

I enjoyed watching by CPU go from 40 to 106C whilst the fans did nothing, other than go from 2000rpm to 2012rpm... proving to Apple that I was and still am correct.

When the Logic board gets replaced, what else gets replaced with it ? I'm not sure which components are soldered on...

Oh I though you had an i5 or i7. Those are the only intel CPU that have turbo boost on them. As for the speed not ramping up that is a problem. When the fans kick on to full power the should be pretty noticeable.

I do not know about the core duo but I know other intel chips will underclock themselves to prevent thermal overload.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I do not know about the core duo but I know other intel chips will underclock themselves to prevent thermal overload.

That's what I though and also what Intel state on the specfication. Group 8 disregard Intel's safe operating temperature and leave me with "It passed the hardware tests"

They said that it will get to 120C before it needs to shut down. failing a shut down from the CPU, the motherboard has another failsafe at 135C...

I'm really upset that they are attempting a repair. I wasn't in this to get an i5 Mac just for the sake of it, I was really concerned about the temps and performance... A repair in my eyes is going to work out worse than a replacement, but it's up to Apple what to do with my machine.

P.S I'm starting to compose a email to sjobs about this whole issue. I won't send it until I see what happens next week...

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
A logic board replacement would solve your problems. Isn't that what you need?

Or have your needs turned into wants?

The GPU and CPU are both being replaced. The heat sink is also being replaced. Your laptop will run as cool as day 1. And that is not sufficient?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Just got off the phone with Apple

They said that they will make an exception and will replace my logic Board. This won't happen until next Wed. I told them I need my Mac over the weekend so they are going to send it back to me.

They said that when they get it back from me (Monday), they will replace the logic board. I said, wouldn't an inspection be required they said no :confused:

SO, I'm going to have to physically brake the machine. This is not what I want to do but Apple keep saying that unless there is a hadware problem, they cannot repalce the unit. They said that after the logic board is replaced and the issue arises again, a replacement may be made.

Apple are allowing a logic board replacement that will take a week. I guess this is somewhat acceptable but I don't want this machine, I want a new one. For issues outlined in previous posts such as more faliure with fans,RAM or HDD which Apple and Group 8 said could happen anyway.

Looks like I'm going to need help trying to get this unit to not turn on or similar if Group 8 won't inspect it again before they replace the logic board.

Apple sucks... if they did this 12 days ago it wouldn't be that bad but because it's been over 2 weeks, and people have lied etc. it's not acceptable.

If they said they will replace the logic board, why do you need to break it? Unless you want a complete replacement? The heat isn't going to hurt the aluminum, only the chips on the logic board and thats going to be replaced. If this happened to me, I would want a new logic board, heatsink with thermal paste applied properly, a new fan(s) and a complete re-install of SL with everything being the latest. I would imagine that would solve my problem 9if i had one)

ZDuUES214NosasiF.huge

See those chips with white stuff on them? Those chips are the chipset, CPU and GPU. When they replace the logic board, those 3 chips and all the other things on that board are replaced. I would have only go far enough to get a logic board replacement. (like purposely overheating it) But once they replace that, and the issue is resolved, i wouldn't waste my time with it. You say how important this notebook is for your needs, but you want to purposely mess it up, and be with out it for a while?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
If they said they will replace the logic board, why do you need to break it? Unless you want a complete replacement? The heat isn't going to hurt the aluminum, only the chips on the logic board and thats going to be replaced. If this happened to me, I would want a new logic board, heatsink with thermal paste applied properly, a new fan(s) and a complete re-install of SL with everything being the latest. I would imagine that would solve my problem 9if i had one)

See those chips with white stuff on them? Those chips are the chipset, CPU and GPU. When they replace the logic board, those 3 chips and all the other things on that board are replaced. I would have only go far enough to get a logic board replacement. (like purposely overheating it) But once they replace that, and the issue is resolved, i wouldn't waste my time with it. You say how important this notebook is for your needs, but you want to purposely mess it up, and be with out it for a while?

After 2 weeks I have no work/very little to do so after this time it's not as important that I use/access my Mac. I sent it in because it was UNUSABLE.

The reason I want to purposely break it after the logic board replacement is to basically get back at Apple/Group 8 for treating me like s**t. I don't expect a company like Apple to treat customers like this and I've read many stories like mine only Apple gives them compensation or a new unit.

They will ONLY replace the logic board (I assume this means new thermal paste anyway) and not the fans, I doubt the will reinstall snow leopard (does it have to be reinstalled after a logic board replacement)

I don't see why I should suffer with the c**p that I've being subject to for the past 2 weeks given that Apple promote themselves as being Number 1 in customer service, which may be true in most cases, certainly not mine. Another Mac user may experience similar issues to me and get a better Rep. from Apple who will replace their unit, why shouldn't I?

I do want a complete replacement; I'm not going to lie. I know that what people on here say means very little in the real (Apple) world in terms of what damage has being done (as they are not Apple employees etc.), what could happen in the near future and what I deserve from what has happened. But because of the poor service, I want something more than a refurb. logic board... Call me demanding but I'm really not. I've being extremely patient for 2 weeks whilst I've being messed around and lied to, in my eyes that's not what Apple should deliver, or what many other customers would accept.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/927506/ Post #7.

That is why I'm not happy with a repair. Ok the OP above had only had their mac for 2 days and could have got a brand new one, even though they didn't buy from Apple but at least they received good service. In my case, nobody was concerend with my real life situation or how I felt etc.

It just shows the constrat between a good rep. and a not so good one.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
After 2 weeks I have no work/very little to do so after this time it's not as important that I use/access my Mac. I sent it in because it was UNUSABLE.

The reason I want to purposely break it after the logic board replacement is to basically get back at Apple/Group 8 for treating me like s**t. I don't expect a company like Apple to treat customers like this and I've read many stories like mine only Apple gives them compensation or a new unit.

They will ONLY replace the logic board (I assume this means new thermal paste anyway) and not the fans, I doubt the will reinstall snow leopard (does it have to be reinstalled after a logic board replacement)

I don't see why I should suffer with the c**p that I've being subject to for the past 2 weeks given that Apple promote themselves as being Number 1 in customer service, which may be true in most cases, certainly not mine. Another Mac user may experience similar issues to me and get a better Rep. from Apple who will replace their unit, why shouldn't I?

I do want a complete replacement; I'm not going to lie. I know that what people on here say means very little in the real (Apple) world in terms of what damage has being done (as they are not Apple employees etc.), what could happen in the near future and what I deserve from what has happened. But because of the poor service, I want something more than a refurb. logic board... Call me demanding but I'm really not. I've being extremely patient for 2 weeks whilst I've being messed around and lied to, in my eyes that's not what Apple should deliver, or what many other customers would accept.

Getting revenge at someone is little immature kid behavior. I know they costed you time, but you are costing your self EVEN MORE time by breaking it. And because the temps are at 106C how is it unusable (besides the crashing) I don't go breaking a little transistor off my iPhone's logic board even though I spent much of my time explaining problems to they, and how they can't even build one right. Just be thankful they are replacing the logic board. Unless the system does a thermal shut down, or has failed, I would have returned your Mac to you. I would re-apply thermal paste, and clean out the dust, but thats it.

Just appreciate the new logic board, stop complaining, and act grown up. I WAS on your side, so you would get a new logic board, but now you want to break a logic board (provided its NOT faulty) I'm on Apple's side then (as long as it doesn't get to 106C).

But keep us and me updated on the entire problem.

And that guy had his MBP for 2 days. You've had yours longer.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Getting revenge at someone is little immature kid behavior. I know they costed you time, but you are costing your self EVEN MORE time by breaking it. And because the temps are at 106C how is it unusable (besides the crashing) I don't go breaking a little transistor off my iPhone's logic board even though I spent much of my time explaining problems to they, and how they can't even build one right. Just be thankful they are replacing the logic board. Unless the system does a thermal shut down, or has failed, I would have returned your Mac to you. I would re-apply thermal paste, and clean out the dust, but thats it.

Just appreciate the new logic board, stop complaining, and act grown up. I WAS on your side, so you would get a new logic board, but now you want to break a logic board (provided its NOT faulty) I'm on Apple's side then (as long as it doesn't get to 106C).

But keep us and me updated on the entire problem.

Getting revenge was certinally the wrong way of putting it. What I meant what I shouldn't just let it go. Why should I be treated any differently to how someone else is ( be it today or in the future) just because of the Rep.

The machine was unusable because it WOULD NOT WORK the way it use to. The renders would not render which meant a vital part of my work was missing. I told Apple right from the start that I have deadlines and I quite clearly and strongly told them I don't want to send it in again as they have already wasted my time (which they have) even though Apple said " this time it won't be a waste of time". Spending so much time (over 13 hours on the phone) and repeating myself to each Rep. 3 times is not what I had in mind either, so again the service was poor. I know that they wanted me to be as deatiled as possible but they wrote EVERYTHING down I already told them and they had video,text and images to look at at the service Centre.

I would have never even though about trying to break it myself, wasn't it you who suggested it anyway? I'm definetley going to have to wait and see what condition it is in tomorrow and what condition is comes back in, after the repair.

Group 8 didn't say anything to me about replacing the fans, cleaning dust or renewing the thermal paste, yet these simple steps could have being done a week ago, meaning that they did a little more than leaving it to one side and wait for dialog to say " Yep I'm Fine " - They didn't care TBH.

The real world situation is that they don't understand how I work because they don't care. They are only concerned about figures IMO, I don't know that's just the way I feel I've being delt with.

Thanks to everyone (including you) who has helped me with this. The forum is a saint in understanding more about why my Mac has broken and it's the only place you can 'talk' about Apple or Group 8 service truthfully... Apple discussion board wouldn't reply if you started saying Apple's service is poor ( at least not from the threads I've read)

I've being stressed even more because I've had to work on a PC :rolleyes: (which suprisingly didn't crash or overheat:p) but hey, I hate windows (and hate is a strong word!)

Oh, and the first sentence of the other reply clearly stated that I know that guy had his Mac for 2 days...

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Getting revenge was certinally the wrong way of putting it. What I meant what I shouldn't just let it go. Why should I be treated any differently to how someone else is ( be it today or in the future) just because of the Rep.

The machine was unusable because it WOULD NOT WORK the way it use to. The renders would not render which meant a vital part of my work was missing. I told Apple right from the start that I have deadlines and I quite clearly and strongly told them I don't want to send it in again as they have already wasted my time (which they have) even though Apple said " this time it won't be a waste of time". Spending so much time (over 13 hours on the phone) and repeating myself to each Rep. 3 times is not what I had in mind either, so again the service was poor. I know that they wanted me to be as deatiled as possible but they wrote EVERYTHING down I already told them and they had video,text and images to look at at the service Centre.

I would have never even though about trying to break it myself, wasn't it you who suggested it anyway? I'm definetley going to have to wait and see what condition it is in tomorrow and what condition is comes back in, after the repair.

Group 8 didn't say anything to me about replacing the fans, cleaning dust or renewing the thermal paste, yet these simple steps could have being done a week ago, meaning that they did a little more than leaving it to one side and wait for dialog to say " Yep I'm Fine " - They didn't care TBH.

The real world situation is that they don't understand how I work because they don't care. They are only concerned about figures IMO, I don't know that's just the way I feel I've being delt with.

Thanks to everyone (including you) who has helped me with this. The forum is a saint in understanding more about why my Mac has broken and it's the only place you can 'talk' about Apple or Group 8 service truthfully... Apple discussion board wouldn't reply if you started saying Apple's service is poor ( at least not from the threads I've read)

I've being stressed even more because I've had to work on a PC :rolleyes: (which suprisingly didn't crash or overheat:p) but hey, I hate windows (and hate is a strong word!)

Oh, and the first sentence of the other reply clearly stated that I know that guy had his Mac for 2 days...

Still it doesn't make it right to defraud Apple just for wasting your time.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Still it doesn't make it right to defraud Apple just for wasting your time.

Their answers are going against Intel's Spec. They say 106C IS IN SPEC, but nobody can prove this...

They didn't just waste my time, they lied, made promises that they didn't keep and didn't belive me... Basically they are being human... It's Apple though I expect more:rolleyes:

Would you be happy with the service I've recieved so far? (I KNOW Apple or Group 8 employees wouldn't be because I've asked them... this is when I started to get seriously p****d off)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Their answers are going against Intel's Spec. They say 106C IS IN SPEC, but nobody can prove this...

They didn't just waste my time, they lied, made promises that they didn't keep and didn't belive me... Basically they are being human... It's Apple though I expect more:rolleyes:

Would you be happy with the service I've recieved so far? (I KNOW Apple or Group 8 employees wouldn't be because I've asked them... this is when I started to get seriously p****d off)

Well, After all the fighting with them, I would demand a logic board replacement, and see if it resolves my issue, then just use it and try to be happy. If it doesn't fix the issue, I would call 'em right back up, tell them, and have them note it down. I would tell them its past the specs of the Intel chip. I would use it for a while, and then purposely suffocate it. I would make it die around a month or so later, so they don't think I'm the one doing it. Then I would ask for a replacement.
But the chips being out of spec heat wise, the system is doomed to fail anyways. I would just have my system backed up, and looking forwards to the day its actually fails. Or if the warranty is about to end, make it fail about 2 months in advance.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Well, After all the fighting with them, I would demand a logic board replacement, and see if it resolves my issue, then just use it and try to be happy. If it doesn't fix the issue, I would call 'em right back up, tell them, and have them note it down. I would tell them its past the specs of the Intel chip. I would use it for a while, and then purposely suffocate it. I would make it die around a month or so later, so they don't think I'm the one doing it. Then I would ask for a replacement.

Isn't that exactly what I was going to do ?

I struggled to get the Logic board, it wasn't an easy fight.

Any problems you can bet I will run this thing to the ground.I just hope that the logic board gets rid of any heat damaged already caused, so in fact it is like a new machine. Next Thursday I will be able to give a better answer when I start some renderings...

I guess a part of me just wants the latest Model but I realise that in 12 months the next 'big chip' will be out and i5/i7 will be outdated. Who knows, a year from now I could have sold this model as the warranty doesn't expire until Oct' 2011 and buy the latest model in June 2011.

Just to make this clear, I'm not in this for the latest model I just want what I paid for and have the price justified again what service I've received.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Isn't that exactly what I was going to do ?

I struggled to get the Logic board, it wasn't an easy fight.

Any problems you can bet I will run this thing to the ground.I just hope that the logic board gets rid of any heat damaged already caused, so in fact it is like a new machine. Next Thursday I will be able to give a better answer when I start some renderings...

I guess a part of me just wants the latest Model but I realise that in 12 months the next 'big chip' will be out and i5/i7 will be outdated. Who knows, a year from now I could have sold this model as the warranty doesn't expire until Oct' 2011 and buy the latest model in June 2011.

Just to make this clear, I'm not in this for the latest model I just want what I paid for and have the price justified again what service I've received.
From what I understanded is that once you get a new logic board, you will destroy that, and get a new notebook weather or not it actually has any problems

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
From what I understanded is that once you get a new logic board, you will destroy that, and get a new notebook weather or not it actually has any problems

No. Once I get a logic board replacement and it runs fine, I will accept it. If when the logic board gets replaced I still get any problems I will either send it to Group 8 first for diagnosis or 'break' it beforehand so that I don't go through all this again with them telling me it's fine (when it really isn't) and get a new one.

Belive me I just want this to be over so that I can enjoy my Mac as I should and have being doing since day one. I'm looking forward to a external monitor too :) (will really help me with CAD work)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
No. Once I get a logic board replacement and it runs fine, I will accept it. If when the logic board gets replaced I still get any problems I will either send it to Group 8 first for diagnosis or 'break' it beforehand so that I don't go through all this again with them telling me it's fine (when it really isn't) and get a new one.

Belive me I just want this to be over so that I can enjoy my Mac as I should and have being doing since day one. I'm looking forward to a external monitor too :) (will really help me with CAD work)

Oh. I see. I thought you were going to break it to get revenge and a new computer for all the bull crap Group 8 told Apple. But I'm on your side. I agree with your actions. I would do the same if I was in your shoes. Well I would change the thermal compound myself, if it still had the problem, and if no luck happens, then proceed with the plan.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Oh. I see. I thought you were going to break it to get revenge and a new computer for all the bull crap Group 8 told Apple. But I'm on your side. I agree with your actions. I would do the same if I was in your shoes. Well I would change the thermal compound myself, if it still had the problem, and if no luck happens, then proceed with the plan.

Yep. I just feel that I'm getting back 'used goods' which is what I'm not really happy about, which is why I didn't want a repair...

I still feel more should have been done with regards to Group 8 bull crap, but hey I could always try for something :p

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Yep. I just feel that I'm getting back 'used goods' which is what I'm not really happy about, which is why I didn't want a repair...

I still feel more should have been done with regards to Group 8 bull crap, but hey I could always try for something :p

The logic board may be new. I had my iPhone 3GS replaced yesterday. the replacement was in a white box life the refurbished ones come in, but it has a different serial number and the 1st characters indicate its new. All my other replacements were refurbished though. And the logic board may have a new GPU, CPU and chipset while the rest is used, but working. You never know.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
The logic board may be new. I had my iPhone 3GS replaced yesterday. the replacement was in a white box life the refurbished ones come in, but it has a different serial number and the 1st characters indicate its new. All my other replacements were refurbished though. And the logic board may have a new GPU, CPU and chipset while the rest is used, but working. You never know.

I thought that if the logic board is used, the chips I get will be used as they are soldered on. I recall Apple saying a logic board needs to be order so it could be new? Apple didn't say anything about a nee CPU or gpu though... But do they HAVE to be replaced with a replaced logic board ?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I thought that if the logic board is used, the chips I get will be used as they are soldered on. I recall Apple saying a logic board needs to be order so it could be new? Apple didn't say anything about a nee CPU or gpu though... But do they HAVE to be replaced with a replaced logic board ?

Yes the chips are soldered on, so they can't be replaced at the store. But if your GPU fails, you get a new/refurbished board, and then the bored with a bad GPU goes back to the refurbishing place, and the bad GPU is removed (de-soldered) with a robotic arm. Then a new GPU gets soldered on, and then the board is tested. Once working, it is used as a replacement for someone elses computer that needs a new organ.
So if you got a refurbished logic board, some chips and parts are new, and some are used, but it WORKS.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
If it gets to 108, make sure you type the numbers "4 8 15 16 23 42" in the command-line or bad things will happen. ;)

WOOOOO LOST ! :D :D :D :D :D :D

That would be soo cool "Write the numbers or your MacBook is going to explode or go all magnetic and crash planes" and I'd love to write the numbers just to lover the temperature :D

EDIT: 100ºC+ is not ok, i get scared when my C2D 13" MacBook Pro goes over 80ºC

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
That would be soo cool "Write the numbers or your MacBook is going to explode or go all magnetic and crash planes" and I'd love to write the numbers just to lover the temperature :D

EDIT: 100ºC+ is not ok, i get scared when my C2D 13" MacBook Pro goes over 80ºC

LOL, it is tempting. I'm also tempted to use Intel Spec sheet as the desktop wallpaper, which clearly stats 105C is MAX SAFE operating Temperature :p

Just got the Mac back today and sure enough it has still got the problems. The render doesn't finish, I get 106-107C and the fans stay at 2000rpm. I guess the logic board is the only hope that this machine will actually work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.