Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
I was in the kitchen working on my french homework when from the corner of my eye I see this huge blast of LIGHT. I run over to the pool room (where my pb was) and see this flame rising up from my computer and I start to scream (for my mommy :D). So to make a long hysterical scene short...my computer then exploded, and I mean IT EXPLODED! It was seriously the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life. I first thought our pool was exploding (I dont know if thats possible lol). So then my dad took it out of the room and threw it out the door onto the deck. I called 911 and the fire rescue came. They said they've never had a case where someone's computer exploded.
The scary thing is, I was on my powerbook all day today, and when I left for a moment to do my homework, it explodes. What if that happened while I had it on my lap? What if it happened when no one was home?!?!?! The whole house would go down in flames! Very scary :(
Not only did I lose my best friend, but I lost 600 dollars worth of music, my ENGLISH ESSAY THAT IS DUE TOMORROW!!!!!, my photos, my movies, and my other reports for school.
So now....
WHAT DO I DO NEXT? This happened about 40 mins ago, and the first thing I thought of was to ask you guys what should i do. Call apple? Will they give me a new computer?
WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Pictures:
474122399_a956cec7af.jpg

474107195_00c60bf115.jpg

474107233_b311a68e6c.jpg

will I ever be able to trust apple again? :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
On the trusting apple thing: They didn't make that battery. Sony did (IIRC).

Call Apple. Definitely. They need to know, in case other people could be hurt. Imagine if this were on your lap when it happened.

Hopefully you can take out the HD and recover what was in there.. if not, take this as a painful lesson in the art of backing up.

Keep us posted, definitely!

eb6

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2006
How am I supposed to go to sleep now??!!

(takes battery out of 12" PB)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow.

Was your PowerBook part of the battery recall and did you get it replaced?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yeah call apple, even if it's out of applecare just call them and before they ask for your serial # or anything just say "Hi, I'm having some problems with my powerbook, it exploded"

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Shut the front door!

Luckily you're all right. It was most likely a Sony battery in that PB. And Apple should be able to take care of you, if it was on the recall.

Although, judging from the explosion, I have to guess it is.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
On the trusting apple thing: They didn't make that battery. Sony did (IIRC).

Call Apple. Definitely. They need to know, in case other people could be hurt. Imagine if this were on your lap when it happened.

Hopefully you can take out the HD and recover what was in there.. if not, take this as a painful lesson in the art of backing up.

Keep us posted, definitely!

I know, but apple uses sony batteries!
And I remember hearing a recall around the time I was buying my computer, so I totally ignored it because I didnt think my pb would be affected. :/

You think I could take it to the apple store and they would take out the hd for me?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This is the battery recall info...did yours fall into the category of affected machines?

This would be exactly why the recall was issued and why the airlines were worried about letting the batteries on planes. I know it's a bit late now, but never ignore a recall.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Wow.

Was your PowerBook part of the battery recall and did you get it replaced?

I am not sure, because I bought it around the time the recall was happening. But I think it might have been a sony battery because my pb came with only 264 mb of ram when there was suppose to be 512mb. So I think I could have gotten a rev. D pb instead of a rev. E like I thought it was when I bought it.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I know, but apple uses sony batteries!
And I remember hearing a recall around the time I was buying my computer, so I totally ignored it because I didnt think my pb would be affected. :/

You think I could take it to the apple store and they would take out the hd for me?

You could ask nicely if they'd take it out for you.
And if they don't... the computer is destroyed anyway. You can't void your warranty by taking it out yourself.* ;)

*totally just kidding. Don't touch that thing. BATTERY ACID. let the apple techs take care of it, and be prepared for lots of gawking when you take it in.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
yeah call apple, even if it's out of applecare just call them and before they ask for your serial # or anything just say "Hi, I'm having some problems with my powerbook, it exploded"

I never bought the applecare plan :/ so I dont know whats going to happen :/

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I never bought the applecare plan :/ so I dont know whats going to happen :/

while I can't speak for apple, but I suspect they'll help you out just to keep you quite. I mean what looks better for apple:

"A laptop of theirs explodes and they leave a student high and dry, so student creates a website (using iWeb of course) showcasing the whole ordeal"

or

"A laptop of theirs explodes and they replace the students laptop and launch an investigation to determine if other laptops are at risk"

I'm not saying you should threaten apple, but just be clear that regardless of any warranty they are still responsible for the batteries they sell.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I hope you get a brand spankin new MBP, decked out. That's totally scary what happened. You would've had a lawsuit if you had been injured. Sucks man.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
As for your English homework, I'm sure if you explain - perhaps with a note from your dad as well - that your computer exploded while you were working on your essay your teacher might make an exception.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
it looks like most of the damage is on the battery side and the HD side looks ok, although the impact of hitting the ground might have hurt it. I'm sure Apple techs have superior HD recovery techniques though that might be able to salvage some of the stuff.

And I'd also let them know that you have $600 worth of iTunes music (regardless of whether or not it's iTunes) ;)

Now I'm really glad I participated in the recall and got a new battery, even though it didn't fit as well as the faulty old one.

Let us know how it all turns out!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Couldn't you have just said your dog ate the essay? Seems a bit extreme.

Seriously, this will be one of those duff Sony batteries. I hope you get a new computer sorted, but it may have to come off your home insurance if you ignored the Apple recall.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I am not sure, because I bought it around the time the recall was happening. But I think it might have been a sony battery because my pb came with only 264 mb of ram when there was suppose to be 512mb. So I think I could have gotten a rev. D pb instead of a rev. E like I thought it was when I bought it.

There never was a rev E 12" PowerBook - the 12" line didn't get updated with the last revision of 15" and 17" PowerBooks; Apple merely dropped the ComboDrive and kept the SuperDrive model, so yours (if it was a 1.5GHz machine) was a rev D.

Those are scary looking photos! :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Phone up AppleCare. When they ask you which department you would like to speak to, tell them, "I'd like to speak to the Law department."

If they ask you why, tell them, "Because I'm going to sue your ass."

Or just ask them to replace your laptop nicely. If they don't, you can make them look really bad, so I'm sure they'd rather shut you up.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wow, what a shame :( :eek: It's too bad you couldn't witness it happen (although you may have been scarred for life) because I want to know how the hell this happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.