Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Time for my opinion. I am jailbroken, though so I use it for much differently than most others I suppose.

1. I am not worried about being unable to restore, the likeliness of that happening are probably lower than me dying in a car crash. I'll take my chances.

2. I do not have Winterboard and my phone is absolutely 100% as fast as it was unjailbroken (as long as I do not have backgrounder running a program).

3. I rarely have the time to update my phone within 24 hours of the release, I have more important things to do. By the time I can sit down to do it the patch is almost always released.

4. Aptbackup is the answer, but I don't even use it. I have never had to restore my phone besides an update. I also do not have a ridiculous amount of modification.

5. My phone, jailbroken or not, has never had any problems with running slow or buggy. At the very most it occasionally force quits something. That happens regardless of if you are jailbroken or not though.

6. I never use Winterboard, most of the themes are sloppy and the hit your RAM takes is not worth it.

7. Cycorder, Backgrounder (Pandora), Clippy, 5 icon Dock, PDAnet, Quickgold and iRealSMS are the only things I have installed. All extremely useful, but a lot of the other applications I would agree with you.

8. If nothing else (though I use it all the time) the "poof" feature on SBSettings is necessity for me. I have 5 pages of Apps on my phone, but only 3 pages showing. No need for applications that I no longer use or rarely ever need to be taking up space.

9. iRealSMS while I believe it to be a crap program is extremely useful. I have it hidden on springboard and still use the default text application for 90% of my texting. IrealSMS quick reply option still functions though, allowing me to respond to text messages without leaving the application I am using. I can also forward a message if need be.

10. Again, I have a lot more important things to worry about than somebody taking my phone and hacking into the information.

May I ask about your method to launch hidden apps?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
People who have this unnatural fear of jailbreaking should create their own website where they regale each other with tales of how they carefully navigated the dangerous waters of running a virgin phone. They can also compete with one another (all 3 of them) for who can create the most outrageous, fiction filled, paranoid ramblings of problems caused by jailbreaking. When this well runs dry, they could tell the world about the Top 10 Problems Caused by Mac based viruses.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
well, SPAZ, let me take down this topic with some good things about jailbreaking by the n^th time..

jailbreak allows you to explore iphone OS, this is not usefull if you're are a ghost, a wale, a not curious kid, causal user, or apple fan. But, if you're a technology or computer fan, then you can put your finger on iphone OS on its glory. This is because you've to pay about $100 to develop, and you're restricted to test any program and to use n APIs. So jailbreak gives you an iphone OS session on your computer, as any unix computer does.

Second, jailbreak put some little features that every causal user would like. I recall a utility that is always present with a swipe on the top menu and allows you to turn 3g, edge, wireless, ssh... control bright... you get the idea. Or widgets apps to inform you at glance about things.
Or run in background some messenger so you don't have to choose to stop receiving messages or make some usefull in safari.

Jailbreak can take your iphone memory, but if used wisely i don't see any incovenient.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Last week I decided to jailbreak my iPhone again. I decided to experiment and see what I could do. I wanted to find out what I liked and what I disliked about jailbreaking. I'm not a noob to this stuff though. I've been hacking and jailbreaking since 1.1.1 (I even went through the 47 step manual jailbreak). Here are some thoughts on what I found:

1. Voids your warranty (if something goes wrong and you can't restore, you're screwed). It's not illegal to jailbreak though.

2. Certain things cause the iPhone to lag considerably. (last night I had to help my brother uninstall a TON of crap because it took like 7 seconds to open SMS)

3. I want to be able to upgrade to the newest Firmware when it comes out and not have to wait around for the dev-team to come out with another patch. (although they're usually very quick)

4. iTunes backs up all of your purchased applications and preferences, but if you have to restore again, you have to re-install all of your fancy hacks and mods (which can be a pain sometimes)

5. I like to know that if my iPhone is running slow or buggy, it's Apple's fault. (I don't need to be wondering if it's from a third party hack or patch)

6. Besides the slowdown, most themes can make the SpringBoard look crazy cool, but since the majority of the rest of the OS is stock, it doesn't feel like it belongs.

7. I've found that most of the hacks, mods and jailbroken applications are cool at first but quickly get old fast. (this is my opinion... I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I've tried a lot of things while I was jailbroken)

8. I don't change my settings enough to justify having SBSettings. (I usually just keep everything on... 3G, Wifi, Bluetooh... etc. I used to worry about battery life and stuff until I realized that I hardly ever even put a dent in my battery since I'm always near a computer or charger in the car.)

9. Jailbreaking was fun back in the 1.1.1-1.1.4 days but, with the addition of the App Store, I can find almost everything that the old jailbreaking gave me and more. Apple is slowly loosening their grip on what the developers can do.

10. If someone found my jailbroken iPhone, they could plug it into the computer and instantly gain access to the entire filesystem (even without SSH). I know apps like DiskAid and PhoneView can view and edit the entire filesystem of a jailbroken iPhone over USB. However, if someone wanted my data bad enough, they could just QuickPwn it themselves and have a field day.... so much for passcode locks.

I have a few things I'd like to add in contrast to this list... some nice things about jailbreaking:

1. Customizing SMS tones was cool

2. If a certain icon or graphic in an application didn't look good to me, I could change it.

3. Somehow you're instantly cooler when you have a jailbroken iPhone and you're showing off the extra things to someone who has a regular stock iPhone.

4. Jailbroken (Cydia and Installer) applications are updated as soon as the developer has the update ready. No waiting for approval and waiting weeks for a small bug fix.

5. It's fun if you like to tinker.

These statements are just my opinions... they're not scientific in anyway. These are all based on things I've noticed from having and using a jailbroken iPhone. I'm not a developer, so I don't know how everything works internally.

There you have it. My reasons why I just restored to a stock Apple Firmware ONCE AGAIN. For some reason I always do this. Since 2.0 came out, I've been jailbreaking every few weeks for a little while and then restoring. For some reason, I always think it's going to be cool or better and I like the freshness to cure bordom, but the freshness doesn't last.

What are some things you DON'T like about jailbreaking? I think I touched on just about everything, but I'm sure people can come up with more reasons. What are your thoughts?

You are REALLLLLL anal about your phone. Arent you the guy that returned his phone 6 times before you were satisfied with how it looked and felt? Being satisfied is fine but you go to the extreme...even with this topic.

Some of those reasons to me are petty. You can upgrade your phones firmware as soon as it comes out. Who cares if you have to wait a few days or even a week for the dev team to come up with the jailbreak for it?
#5 that i bolded is funny...and anal.....lol
Seems to me that the 3G has WAY more problems than the 2G. I never have the problems you people report that you have when upgrading or jailbreaking. Sure every now and then i have had a lag problem like it freezes up for a bit but it goes away and all is fine again.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Right, so let's say the dock connecter breaks. The power still gets through, but no computer can't talk to the phone.

Apple will replace my phone if that happens, they wouldn't replace a JB phone and you'd have no way to do anything about it. (Just one exmample I thought up, I'm sure there are others.)

Now are these things likely? Of course not. But I don't like the "no way it can happen" arguments. Out of millions of phones, a few will find a way.

The way I see it, if you're willing to buy a new phone, go for it. I mess around with my laptop because I'm WILLING to buy a new laptop if I break it. So it's ok to play around with stuff on it. I'm not willing to buy a new phone if I mess it up, so I'm not going to risk it. Simple as that.

For everyone who's willing to buy another iPhone if something happens, I totally suggest jailbreaking! Lots of fun stuff! But I'm not willing, so that's it for me.

I'm not arguing against jailbreaking, I think it's cool! I just don't agree that it's risk-free. It's a tiny, tiny risk, but it's not zero.

:confused: I dont get it. Whats the difference?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
:confused: I dont get it. Whats the difference?

Are you married?

Trust me, there's a difference between something happening to a computer (they're complicated and stuff is bound to happen) and something being done to a phone (you broke it how??).

Our entertainment budget is fixed. Buying electronics means we go out less and do less fun things for a month or two. That's a simple fact of life. If we go out less this month because the laptop breaks, she understands and we get it fixed. But if my phone breaks because I'm tinkering with it, she's not going to be happy to give up HER recreational money to fix a problem I created for no good reason. (Not to mention the fact that she's still using a RAZR. The next iPhone we buy is NOT going to be mine, I can promise you that.)

So if something happens to my iPhone that I caused, I'm getting a cheap phone, I can promise you.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Are you married?

Trust me, there's a difference between something happening to a computer (they're complicated and stuff is bound to happen) and something being done to a phone (you broke it how??).

Our entertainment budget is fixed. Buying electronics means we go out less and do less fun things for a month or two. That's a simple fact of life. If we go out less this month because the laptop breaks, she understands and we get it fixed. But if my phone breaks because I'm tinkering with it, she's not going to be happy to give up HER recreational money to fix a problem I created for no good reason. (Not to mention the fact that she's still using a RAZR. The next iPhone we buy is NOT going to be mine, I can promise you that.)

So if something happens to my iPhone that I caused, I'm getting a cheap phone, I can promise you.

You said you mess around with your laptop but are willing to buy a new one if it you break it. What's the difference between that and messing around with the iPhone and breaking it?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You said you mess around with your laptop but are willing to buy a new one if it you break it. What's the difference between that and messing around with the iPhone and breaking it?

If my laptop breaks, at least I was using the laptop in the way it was intended to be used. Meaning: Even if I have to pay for the fix, it was worth it because I was trying to do something that mattered.

But with Jailbreaking the iPhone, IF I screw something up it was for no good reason.

In other words:
Breaking laptop because I was doing work = Understandable.
Breaking iPhone because I wanted to change the icons = Well, that was dumb.

That's the difference.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
You are REALLLLLL anal about your phone. Arent you the guy that returned his phone 6 times before you were satisfied with how it looked and felt? Being satisfied is fine but you go to the extreme...even with this topic.

Some of those reasons to me are petty. You can upgrade your phones firmware as soon as it comes out. Who cares if you have to wait a few days or even a week for the dev team to come up with the jailbreak for it?
#5 that i bolded is funny...and anal.....lol
Seems to me that the 3G has WAY more problems than the 2G. I never have the problems you people report that you have when upgrading or jailbreaking. Sure every now and then i have had a lag problem like it freezes up for a bit but it goes away and all is fine again.

Yes I am the guy who returned his iPhone 3G 3 times. My iPhone is perfect now (hardware wise) and I've never returned it for any software glitches. To me... I don't wanna be sitting at work and decide to install something on my iPhone that might cause me to restore it... it's a pain to do that while I'm at work. Lemme explain:

One day I was at work and I installed "Pusher" onto my iPhone 3G. Pusher by the Rip-Dev promised that it opens up the iPhone without actually jailbreaking it... well, they were wrong. It did jailbreak my iPhone because afterwards, I had full access to the file system over USB. Well, I decided that I did not like what pusher did, so I looked at the log file and deleted everything that it installed. When I tried to reboot my iPhone, it was stuck in a never-ending Apple logo loop. Since I was at work at the time, I didn't wanna wait until I got home to fix my iPhone. So what I did was download 2.2.1 and restore my iPhone. Then I SSH'd into my Mac Pro and grabbed my last backup file (first I used VNC to go in and zip it so that nothing got corrputed) and I loaded the backup file onto my iPhone. Then I downloaded all the apps I had using the App Store on the iPhone (since I didn't really wanna sync with my work computer). Then I had to wait until I got back home to put my music and videos back on it.

It kinda sucked. If I hadn't tried using Pusher, I would have still been fine. It's not just Pusher though... you never know what combination of hacks might make your SpringBoard crash and your iPhone not boot. Trust me, I've been jailbreaking since the 1.1.1 manual jailbreak came out and I've jailbroken EVERY iPod touch and iPhone version... I've had my fair share of mishaps with experimenting. As I stated earlier, I'm not some noob just jumping on the jailbreak bandwagon being all paranoid... I have the right to be paranoid... it's my phone and I don't want to have to keep restoring it all the time.

I'm a curious person by nature. People on here all the time brag about how awesome jailbreaking is... and every once in a while I decide to do it again... I don't know why I even keep doing it because I usually feel that it's over-kill and over-rated and doesn't really offer anything amazing. So I restore back to default firmware. I like my OS running clean... it's how Apple intended it and optimized it. No wonder they don't wanna give developers full freedom to do what they want... there would be a lot of people complaining about how laggy their iPhones are and Apple would HAVE to help them.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Another list.

My iPhone is jailbroken.

I can make a list too.

Here is why I can't live without jailbreaking:

1. SBSettings- I constantly need to turn wifi on and off. For example, if I'm at Starbucks, my wifi automatically picks up the attwifi network. If my iPhone is asleep or if I let my iPhone go to sleep after using it there, it signs out of the network. If I get any email while I'm there with wifi on, it won't transmit to my iPhone until I re-sign into the network. This happens anywhere I go that has a wifi network that I've chosen to remember and requires username and password.

I like being able to quickly access the Bluetooth toggle as well. If I had to go through Settings, it would take 4 taps until I can turn it on or off. With SBSettings, it's a swipe and a tap.

2. 5 icon dock- it really is amazing how adding one App into my dock makes such a difference.

3. Status Notifier- I like not having to look at the side of my iPhone to know that it's in silent mode. I like seeing that I have an email on the lockscreen status bar.

4. NES- I grew up on those games, I like being able to re-live my childhood on my iPhone. I'm currently deep into Zelda 2.

5. Cycorder- why won't Apple let me take videos?

6. Retro Apple signal strength- looks great. Classic.

7. Custom Carrier logo/name- I like having my name instead of AT&T. It's my phone dammit. :D

8. No icon names - looks so much better.

Sorry, I've only got a top 8.

I was unjailbroken for a few days between 2.2 and 2.2.1. I hated it. It felt like I was missing a good chunk of functionality. I kept trying to access SBSettings, and obviously couldn't. It was so annoying having to go through Settings to deal with my wifi and Bluetooth settings.

When I restored, it was easy and happened the way it would happen with an unjailbroken iPhone. There was obviously no sign that my iPhone was jailbroken after the restore. (The reason for my restore was that I had to replace my SIM card due to AT&T thinking it was faulty- it wasn't receiving network updates, and I thought that the AT&T reps at the store wouldn't help me if they saw I jailbroken. Turned out that I just picked up the SIM and did it at home with iTunes.)

I did some theming a few months ago, but I got bored of it. I did notice a lag with theming, but the reason I stopped was because I was bored. My primary reason for jailbreaking is the added functionality. The aesthetics are secondary to me.

I have no noticeable lag now than prior to jailbreaking. This is probably due to me keeping it simple. And I actually enjoy customizing- so when I had to re-customize after my last jailbreak, it was fun for me.

So there you go. I hope you enjoyed reading my list. Lists are cool.

Below is a shot of my Homescreen, just to show how simple and clean a jailbreak can look. I smudged out my name (the light blue) where the carrier name usually is.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 99

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
3. Status Notifier- I like not having to look at the side of my iPhone to know that it's in silent mode. I like seeing that I have an email on the lockscreen status bar.

Hahahahaha. I love this comment.

I have something to add:

I like not having to look out my window if I wanna see if it's raining. Wait, that is actually HARDER to do than to look to see if the silent switch is flipped.

Edit: That screenshot looks terrible by the way. The 5 icon dock is way too cramped, no labels make everything look too spacy and your logos look just plain dumb. But hey, to each his own right?

That's another thing. I find that 90% of the themes for WinterBoard look like garbage! No class at all.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I have something to add:

I like not having to look out my window if I wanna see if it's raining. Wait, that is actually HARDER to do than to look to see if the silent switch is flipped.

Edit: That screenshot looks terrible by the way. The 5 icon dock is way too cramped, no labels make everything look too spacy and your logos look just plain dumb. But hey, to each his own right?

That's another thing. I find that 90% of the themes for WinterBoard look like garbage! No class at all.

Well im glad there isnt any pointless judgement in this thread....:rolleyes:

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I disagree. Here is why:

1. Has this EVER happened to anybody? (With the exception of early unlocks)
2. Some OS X apps suck and cause problems too, that is why we dont use those programs.
3. You can always upgrade to the latest version and then jailbreak a few days later.
4. There are apps to backup/restore all of your Cydia apps/settings.
5. Just like #2, you need to be carful what you install. Installing too many app store programs will slow your phone down as well.
6. You can get full system themes with winterboard that can change every graphic on the phone if you like. Personally I only change my wallpaper/icons.
7. Some do, but others are pretty darn useful. I can play flash video in safari on my iPhone while hundreds of people request that feature everyday on this site.
8. Then uninstall SBSettings and free up some ram. I put my phone in airplane mode every night, and SBSettings makes that really easy.
9. Until they start giving out unlock codes to anybody who requests one, there will always be a need to jailbreak.
10. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. This makes your phone more secure then a stock one, since even re-jailbreaking will not reset it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
10. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. This makes your phone more secure then a stock one, since even re-jailbreaking will not reset it.

Are you talking about the SSH password? Even if you change it, it WILL get reset to "alpine" if you restore. Also, SSH passwords don't do CRAP when you can just plug the iPhone into a USB cable and open DiskAid or PhoneView. Look them up. You view and edit any folder or file on your iPhone as long as you're jailbroken. Have you figured out a way to turn that feature off?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I have something to add:

What is your deal?

I didn't criticize your list. I merely made my own. If I find certain features more efficient or functional, what is it to you?

Your analogy is immature and ridiculous.

The screenshot is far from terrible. The dock is far from cramped, and keeping the labels is redundant. If I know what the Apps are, why do I need to label them?

Why are you so defensive anyway? Did a hard-core jailbreaker dump you or stand you up or something?

Well im glad there isnt any pointless judgement in this thread....:rolleyes:

Yeah, really. :rolleyes:

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Are you talking about the SSH password? Even if you change it, it WILL get reset to "alpine" if you restore. Also, SSH passwords don't do CRAP when you can just plug the iPhone into a USB cable and open DiskAid or PhoneView. Look them up. You view and edit any folder or file on your iPhone as long as you're jailbroken. Have you figured out a way to turn that feature off?

Yeah, I am talking about the password for SSH/MobileTerminal.

If you restore, your data is gone anyway. I have no idea if this does anything to DiskAid or PhoneView, but you could always change the permission on sensitive files to prevent access with those apps.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, I am talking about the password for SSH/MobileTerminal.

If you restore, your data is gone anyway. I have no idea if this does anything to DiskAid or PhoneView, but you could always change the permission on sensitive files to prevent access with those apps.

No you can't. SSH isn't the only way to access the iPhone's file system. However, if you're not jailbroken, you do not have access to the root partition... only the mobile/Media folder. Changing SSH passwords or even file permissions won't fix that.

What is your deal?

I didn't criticize your list. I merely made my own. If I find certain features more efficient or functional, what is it to you?

Yeah, I'm sorry... I just thought it was a funny statement. It made me laugh that you thought looking at the side of your iPhone was inconvenient. I didn't mean much by it. I remember when Dashboard first came out on the Mac... I thought, "Hey, now I can see what it's doing outside without even looking away from my Mac". It was just a joke.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I'm sorry... I just thought it was a funny statement. It made me laugh that you thought looking at the side of your iPhone was inconvenient.

Well jeez how bout we take out the battery indicator in OSX, after all, you can just look at the side/underneath your laptop right?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Well jeez how bout we take out the battery indicator in OSX, after all, you can just look at the side/underneath your laptop right?

Umm... I think lifting up a laptop just to check the battery is a bit much. Laptops are usually a little heavier. However, turning a handheld phone SLIGHTLY sideways isn't too difficult.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Um, of course the password resets, you are throwing a new file system on teh device. Also, there's no such thing as a "SSH password". The passwords are system passwords. :)

There def has to be a way to "block" access somehow. If I am able to figure out, I will post some instructions. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Umm... I think lifting up a laptop just to check the battery is a bit much. Laptops are usually a little heavier. However, turning a handheld phone SLIGHTLY sideways isn't too difficult.

What about the new unibodies, is it THAT hard to peer slightly at an angle to check your battery status?

What is it about conveinance for others that irks you so much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.