Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Schtumple 25:17

"Blessed are the DIYers for they shall have ... erm... things... their way... sort of..." :)

I'm actually tempted to go that route myself, probably starting with something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141462

which I believe has all its components compatible with all 3 main operating systems of today. for £130 looks like a good starting point.

R0141462-01.jpg

AMD SEMPRON 3800+ Processor
• 512MB DDR II RAM
• 80GB Hard Disk Drive (SATA2)
• DVD drive
• Integrated shared 64MB Graphics (ATI X1150 ?)
• 5.1 channel AC’97 Sound
• 6 x USB 2.0 Ports
• Integrated Ethernet 10/100 Mbps
• 1 x PCI E 3 x PCI

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Not enough RAM. Tiger likes 1GB, and Leopard needs 2GB to fly.

Some people say Leopard works fine with 1GB. It didn't for me. If you're the type of person who builds/mods their own computer, then you need 2GB.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Not enough RAM. Tiger likes 1GB, and Leopard needs 2GB to fly.

Some people say Leopard works fine with 1GB. It didn't for me. If you're the type of person who builds/mods their own computer, then you need 2GB.
Agreed. Though IMHO Tiger is useless with 512MiB.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
That's everybody's own choice. But I agree, i have an macbook with 512MB of ram, and it's not so fast.
I've just upgraded my girlfriend's MacBook from 512MiB to 1GiB - the thing was hellishly slow, it was swapping just to boot up!

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I've just upgraded my girlfriend's MacBook from 512MiB to 1GiB - the thing was hellishly slow, it was swapping just to boot up!

The difference between 512MB and 1GB is really big! That's what i notice on a iMac.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Agreed. Though IMHO Tiger is useless with 512MiB.

yeah, sure. Firefox + music + a bunch of other small things in the background can easily use up more than 512MB. It's a cheap and easy upgrade to do anyway.

I dug up a bit more and the motherboard seems to be the Foxconn K8M890M2MB-RS2H
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000306

which is limited to 2GB and is not mentioned in the hardware compatibility lists for OS X. For that purpose it probably would be much more of a pain than choosing boards from other brands. Still a bargain Windows/Linux box though.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok so I spent much of this morning recording a song, but, xMac ahoy, I shall finally cut down the acrylic board and spray paint one side, I ordered the IR sensor and the "Airport Extreme" card earlier on so they should arrive sometime this week.

To nplima, don't buy a bargain basement PC for OSX86, if your going to do any serious work on it your far better off buying a propper mac, regardless of the price difference.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
My G3 iBook ran at a decent speed with 384MB RAM.
As mentioned above, it depends entirely upon what you do & what you consider 'decent'. Back in highschool my friend thought that 20fps was 'smooth' whilst playing EQ2; I didn't consider anything beneth 40fps to be smooth.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
As mentioned above, it depends entirely upon what you do & what you consider 'decent'. Back in highschool my friend thought that 20fps was 'smooth' whilst playing EQ2; I didn't consider anything beneth 40fps to be smooth.

True, but I do like the fact that it booted OS X at the same speed as my Mum's 24" iMac with a 2.4GHz C2D processor and 2GB RAM! :cool:

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Subjective comparisons like that are utter BS I'm afraid.

No, they arnt, it really did.

That is not counting the time it takes to login, though, just boot up, if you have ever used a iBook G3 with Tiger and a bunch of software, you will know what I mean, it takes about 10 seconds just for the desktop to load... It still BOOTED the same speed as the iMac, though.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Putting OS X on a PC is illegal, and we as the Mac community should not condone it. Go buy a Mac like the rest of us. Wannabe.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Putting OS X on a PC is illegal, and we as the Mac community should not condone it. Go buy a Mac like the rest of us. Wannabe.

wow, chill, he's doing a really cool thing here. He's buying a copy of Mac OS X so it's not really a biggy.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
This has already been addressed. Obviously you haven't read the rest of the thread, or you would know that & also that the author is buying a license. If your sole intentions in this thread are to troll & flame, I think I speak for everyone in asking you not to post again.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

So I guess you didn't read the post where I said I had 3 macs already, or the one (as already stated) that I'll be buying a copy of leopard to cover the hackintosh part, please, don't post in here again, your trolling is both childish and pointless.

Back on track, the front panel was 1.5mm too high :rolleyes:, this has now been corrected, it now nicely slots inside the casing, it just needs bolting (should be done tommorow) and then it's mounted in for good!

I've decided to (sadly) put the light up apple logo part on hold for now, just focus on getting the whole thing together and up and running, I cut down the acrylic board (too big :p) so that needs rectifying, it's getting there, steadily.

I'd just like to thank everyone for keeping interest in this thread, I know it is a little bit controversial what I'm doing and not everyone agrees whether I should be doing it in the first place, but still, cheers for sticking with it, the end result will easily be worth the wait ;)

Ben

Quick picture to keep you all happy :p

Attachments

• DSCF5685.JPG
    DSCF5685.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 241

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Awesome update Schtumple, I've been following this thread for quite some time now. I enjoy seeing the progress you've made as it approaches to be a finished product.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Putting OS X on a PC is illegal

It's not illegal, and it's not even unlawful. What it is, is it's breach of license terms (given that the OP purchased a licence). In this case, he merely has no right to use the licence (that he paid for) and there isn't really any way for Apple to take it any further.

Even downloading and using a pirated copy of OSX is I think, not illegal. It's certainly unlawful though.

Illegal acts are acts for which you can be arrested and jailed. Unlawful acts are acts for which you can be taken to court and/or be fined. (but not jailed unless you refuse to pay the fine. Yes, Doris, refusing to pay a fine is an illegal act)

Another example: parking safely but in the wrong place is generally unlawful (you will get fined or issued with a court summons) but not illegal (you won't get arrested or sent to jail).

This is UK law, so please don't bring up any points of USA law or Apple's USA contracts or licences.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's not illegal, and it's not even unlawful. What it is, is it's breach of license terms (given that the OP purchased a licence). In this case, he merely has no right to use the licence (that he paid for) and there isn't really any way for Apple to take it any further.

Even downloading and using a pirated copy of OSX is I think, not illegal. It's certainly unlawful though.

Illegal acts are acts for which you can be arrested and jailed. Unlawful acts are acts for which you can be taken to court and/or be fined. (but not jailed unless you refuse to pay the fine. Yes, Doris, refusing to pay a fine is an illegal act)

Another example is parking safely but in the wrong place is generally unlawful (you will get fined or issued with a court summons) but not illegal (you won't get arrested or sent to jail).

This is UK law, so please don't bring up any points of USA law or Apple's USA contracts or licences.

I've now removed all OSX86 quotes from my first post, hopefully stop any one post trolling.

Tiny update, in cutting the acrylic, I cracked it a little bit, I'll put the cracked edge at the back so it won't be so noticeable.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I've now removed all OSX86 quotes from my first post, hopefully stop any one post trolling.

Tiny update, in cutting the acrylic, I cracked it a little bit, I'll put the cracked edge at the back so it won't be so noticeable.
It's things like that that really bug me. Even if it's not visible to the casual observer, I know it's there & I know that in 3 weeks time I'll replace it to calm my OCD! Anyway, acrylic was dirt cheap last time I checked?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Thanks for the pic update. It's looking really nice. Bummer on the crack, but hopefully it won't bug you, or if so, can be replaced when you're ready to work on the logo. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.