Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Putting OS X on a PC is illegal, and we as the Mac community should not condone it. Go buy a Mac like the rest of us. Wannabe.

That raises a decent question: Is it a "PC" if it never had/has/will have Windows on it, but only ever OS X? Yes, the whole "not made by Apple and so it's unsupported" thing is still 100% applicable, but can we really call it a PC if it was as made to run OS X as an iMac is?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
That raises a decent question: Is it a "PC" if it never had/has/will have Windows on it, but only ever OS X? Yes, the whole "not made by Apple and so it's unsupported" thing is still 100% applicable, but can we really call it a PC if it was as made to run OS X as an iMac is?

Thats a very good point :D

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Here's a picture of the crack, I put a 5p to show size, it's actually not very noticeable to be honest...

I adjusted the sharpness so it would bring it out better but it's actually so tiny I doubt I'll ever notice it...

Attachments

• DSCF5695.JPG
    DSCF5695.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 118

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK

I'd say this is going to be one very personal computer when finished.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada

Your Mac is a PC, any computer is a PC.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Yes, it will still be an IBM compatible personal computer when it is finished. The difference between a Mac & an IBM-compat isn't whether one runs Windows or not, it's whether or not one conforms to the original IBM specification, which this does.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Yes, it will still be an IBM compatible personal computer when it is finished. The difference between a Mac & an IBM-compat isn't whether one runs Windows or not, it's whether or not one conforms to the original IBM specification, which this does.

While that might have been true 20 years ago, in 2008, that phrase is sheer gibberish. IBM PC specs state ISA bus, BIOS, etc etc. When PCs stopped using ISA buses and changed to PCI buses, (amongst many other changes) they stopped being IBM compatible.

Even in the late 1990s, 'IBM compatible' was pretty old fashioned. Usually people said 'Wintel' meaning the combination of Intel and Windows.

In the early 2000's, even that became outmoded as AMD was (briefly) ahead of Intel in terms of PC processor excellence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

Stop beating this dead horse, it's suffering enough.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
While that might have been true 20 years ago, in 2008, that phrase is sheer gibberish. IBM PC specs state ISA bus, BIOS, etc etc. When PCs stopped using ISA buses and changed to PCI buses, (amongst many other changes) they stopped being IBM compatible.

Even in the late 1990s, 'IBM compatible' was pretty old fashioned. Usually people said 'Wintel' meaning the combination of Intel and Windows.

In the early 2000's, even that became outmoded as AMD was (briefly) ahead of Intel in terms of PC processor excellence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

Stop beating this dead horse, it's suffering enough.
You might want to actually read that article you linked, as it does little to defend your argument & much to support mine. Maybe 'conforms' was a little misguiding ing my post, 'descendant' might have been a better term.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
Thanks for the update it's looking nice, and I really want to see it up and running!! Could you give us the specs again, and if you are planning on changing anything after you have the case and such completely done?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I am posting this from the actual xMac, sadly, through vista, 5 days before activation :D says my key is invalid, this is a copy I got from work, that was going to go with a PC on the shop floor!!!

2.66ghz Pentium D
1GB DDR400 (I think) RAM
200gb & 160gb HD (which will be consolodated into one 500gb drive)
Nvidia Geforece 6600 265mb Graphics card

I will be adding the following:
Airport Extreme compatible card and a mac compatible IR sensor

My windows Vista score was 3.6 I redid it after downloading new graphics card drivers and got 3.4 :confused:

All other scores were in the 4.something range, graphics card is aparently the big let down of this thing :confused:

And I do plan on upgrading the ram, and processor, I got the Pentium D just after the Core Duos came out, got it for £39 which was a bargain really but it's not really top dog anymore...

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I am posting this from the actual xMac, sadly, through vista, 5 days before activation :D says my key is invalid, this is a copy I got from work, that was going to go with a PC on the shop floor!!!
Not a problem, just call Microsoft & you'll have a new key in minutes.

And I do plan on upgrading the ram, and processor, I got the Pentium D just after the Core Duos came out, got it for £39 which was a bargain really but it's not really top dog anymore...
The 2.66GHz Pentium D was never 'top dog'. It was the slowest Pentium D marketed.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
The motherboard can't take quads, dual cores only, and I think it's only up to the Core Duos, not Core 2 Duos or above, but I could be wrong...

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
The motherboard can't take quads, dual cores only, and I think it's only up to the Core Duos, not Core 2 Duos or above, but I could be wrong...

The first Core Duo's were laptop chips. The equivilant back then was.. Pentium D's. Still, My P4 is only slightly slower than my Core 2 doing normal things like websurfing, MSN and listening to MP3s. I think people make the gap seem wider than it actually is, Pentium D's wern't bad for their time, just pricy compared to the competition.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Putting OS X on a PC is illegal, and we as the Mac community should not condone it. Go buy a Mac like the rest of us. Wannabe.

Unless your a lawyer or a cop, I don't think its really your place to be telling people what they can or cannot do. Just because you think its the end of the world to break a EULA, doesn't mean everyone else does. Personally, I believe that if someone is paying for the software, it should be their right to do whatever they want with it.. But even if I didnt, I wouldnt come on here and start screaming my disapproval in a whirlwind of flame. If your not interested in the project, then go find another article. There's thousands.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
:) thanks dustman

Ok so I cut down the acrylic, the sides are now the proper dimensions, I had to make a small revision to the way the CD drive is going to be mounted, this way is probably alot more unsafe, but, it'll work... :D

I found a really good looking thread a while back: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/468532/

If I had an unlimited budget, thats what this project would look like, I've been thinking about asking whether I can borrow some really high def images from the poster, I'm quite tempted to give a shot at building it, I've been looking at tiny (and I mean tiny) PC's for a week or so, checking out prices, ports/slots etc, you can buy tiny PC's, as small as the mac mini (possibly) with PCI express slots :eek:

This is probably a massive long shot, but does anyone know of anywhere that would sell a PCI Express card that has a PCI express slot on it, I know they were accessories for barebones systems when they came out, it meant you could mount a graphics card at a 90 degree angle, but I can't find any where that sells them anymore...

EDIT: my dads told me to wait until tommorow so he can get some bits so I can add in support for the CD drive, so, next month, this might be done...

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
C'mon Schtumple! This thread has been going on for over 3 months, meanwhile fivepoint opened a thread a few days ago and is almost done with his made-from-scratch super cool desk!

How ya gonna get shown-up in the DIY sector :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.