Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Well, I enjoyed my run in first place while it lasted. Kansas just killed me.

I don't even care. I am so happy for the kids at UNI. What a game.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Yep, really happy for UNI. Busts up my brackets big time (I had a UK / KU final, with UK winning), but oh well! I'm loving all the upsets this year. I got kind of bored with the predictability of the tournaments of the past few years.

Washington is slicing and dicing everyone! I loathe those guys -- showboating, classless street-ballers -- but their success is reflecting well on the Pac-10.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
We've also got Saint Mary's! Glad to see them finally break through to the Sweet Sixteen.

That would be a major story if St. Mary's won it all. Have they won it all in the old days like Stanford, Cal, or USF? I don't recall any recent wins in my life. St. Mary's would be great for the SF area. Cal and Stanford are big schools, so they are a lot of things to a lot of people, most notably academics and sports.

But when I think of St. Mary's, it's a small school which is thought of as a rigorous academic school who does not look past its toughness to coddle athletes like the other two have alleged to have done many a time. Now with a sweet 16 showing or better, and a few followups in the future, they can evolve into a NCAA powerhouse. This is so cool for them to finally reach this important peak.

Any current or former NBA pros from St. Mary's?

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
My bracket is toast, but this is great. I'm a football guy at heart, but these upsets make the tournament so much fun to watch. It's so much better than football where if you lose a game or two during the regular season, your hopes for title contention are essentially gone. Underdogs here can have a great 2 weeks and vie for the title. I don't mind my bracket being done just for this kind of excitement.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
After watching my favorite team Gonzaga play a very good game yesterday I now wish I had them go farther.
No need...

KU will win
Next year? I root against Kansas....

I hope Kansas loses. Bill Self can go **** himself for leaving Illinois. I don't care if we got a good coach to replace him.
That's why. I'm with you!
Also, there's a Missouri grad in our family now.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
That would be a major story if St. Mary's won it all. Have they won it all in the old days like Stanford, Cal, or USF? I don't recall any recent wins in my life. St. Mary's would be great for the SF area. Cal and Stanford are big schools, so they are a lot of things to a lot of people, most notably academics and sports.

No, St. Mary's never won it all. It's been a long time for Stanford, Cal, and USF, as well.

But when I think of St. Mary's, it's a small school which is thought of as a rigorous academic school who does not look past its toughness to coddle athletes like the other two have alleged to have done many a time. Now with a sweet 16 showing or better, and a few followups in the future, they can evolve into a NCAA powerhouse. This is so cool for them to finally reach this important peak.

Any current or former NBA pros from St. Mary's?

Can't think of any besides rookie Patty Mills. Don't know if that kid "Big Continent" Bryant ever got any time; he was 7'2" and 300 pounds and actually pretty mobile for his size, but his constant foot problems kept his career from taking off.

Bullocks. Oh well, there is always next year.

Bullocks? I remember that department store! :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Can't think of any besides rookie Patty Mills. Don't know if that kid "Big Continent" Bryant ever got any time; he was 7'2" and 300 pounds and actually pretty mobile for his size, but his constant foot problems kept his career from taking off.

7'2" is not a bad height to start out at. Sometimes Shaq looks less than mobile but somehow he gets the points or enough to keep him employed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.