Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelcandice29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
I downgraded my IOS from 11 to 10.3.2, I backed up my iphone 6 plus in my itunes prior to downgrading. I successfully downgraded my IOS to 10.3.2 but I lost my contacts and messages. How can I restore it without going back to 11? I am noob please help.

Cheers!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I downgraded my IOS from 11 to 10.3.2, I backed up my iphone 6 plus in my itunes prior to downgrading. I successfully downgraded my IOS to 10.3.2 but I lost my contacts and messages. How can I restore it without going back to 11? I am noob please help.

Cheers!

Unless you archived the backup when you made it, you may not be able to get them back. If so, read on how to archive a backup and then archive your last iOS 11 backup before it gets overwritten by your next iOS 10.3.2 backup so the data might be there again when you return to iOS 11.

angelcandice29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Unless you archived the backup when you made it, you may not be able to get them back. If so, read on how to archive a backup and then archive your last iOS 11 backup before it gets overwritten by your next iOS 10.3.2 backup so the data might be there again when you return to iOS 11.
Thank you, I have backed it up. When I upgraded to IOS 11 I backed it up on my iTunes. But thanks for the reply.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thank you, I have backed it up. When I upgraded to IOS 11 I backed it up on my iTunes. But thanks for the reply.
If you backup 10.3.2. Then upgrade. Then backup 11.0. The 10.3.2 gets overwritten.

Contacts should be stored in iCloud, but messages are gone unless you return to iOS 11 and stick it out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If you backup 10.3.2. Then upgrade. Then backup 11.0. The 10.3.2 gets overwritten.

Contacts should be stored in iCloud, but messages are gone unless you return to iOS 11 and stick it out.

You assume he had iCloud on. Not everyone does. But you are correct that the messages are gone until one is back on iOS 11. Nature of that beast

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You assume he had iCloud on. Not everyone does. But you are correct that the messages are gone until one is back on iOS 11. Nature of that beast
Yes you are correct. I am assuming iCloud was used for contacts. But even using Gmail for contacts or another provider will still have them backed up. Its very rare to see someone now days only have contacts on the one device and not another device.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yes you are correct. I am assuming iCloud was used for contacts. But even using Gmail for contacts or another provider will still have them backed up. Its very rare to see someone now days only have contacts on the one device and not another device.
Frankly, we're moving to the day when this shouldn't even be an option (not to have your contacts in the Cloud). This would save so much heartache when a device dies or is lost/stolen. We're getting close...

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Frankly, we're moving to the day when this shouldn't even be an option (not to have your contacts in the Cloud). This would save so much heartache when a device dies or is lost/stolen. We're getting close...
I agree. I think we are getting really close. We are at the point where Apple ID is required for iOS. I just reset all settings on an iOS 7 & iOS 8 device last week, both versions allowed you to skip Apple ID. I think by iOS 12, iCloud will be 100% required.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
For what it is worth, I use gmail for contacts for a few reasons, mostly because it is so easy to import and export a csv file. You can't do that with iCloud/Apple Contacts.

Exporting a CSV is especially useful when using Outlook at work and wanting to merge your personal and business contacts, especially when leaving a job you had for a while and 20 years of contacts are stored on your work exchange server. I found that gmail contacts was the best solution for uploading a csv and it integrates nicely with Contacts.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Frankly, we're moving to the day when this shouldn't even be an option (not to have your contacts in the Cloud).
Bear in mind that there are legal issues with this, for example if I was using my iPhone for work purposes then I couldn't store any customer contact details in iCloud as most (all?) of the servers are in "unapproved" countries.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Bear in mind that there are legal issues with this, for example if I was using my iPhone for work purposes then I couldn't store any customer contact details in iCloud as most (all?) of the servers are in "unapproved" countries.

for your job yes. not so for everyone else. but yes it is a valid concern. as would be some nefarious hacker type deciding to up their tries on phishing accounts etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.