Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Apple TV service coming sometime in 2020 or the near future. Stay tuned.

Don't think Netflix has that much to fear tbh - Apple services are non-existent outside the US. It'll take years until Apple releases a TV service in Canada and the UK, and probably never outside English-speaking countries. Netflix is present in almost every single country of the world and the markets outside the US is where they grow the most.

Apple's market reach is sinking rapidly - they're a company predominantly focused on and operating in the US now. Nothing wrong with that - companies like Spotify, Netflix, Google, Microsoft and Amazon are omnipresent in Europe and are gladly taking over Apple's former market share.

Most newer services (and some products) have never made it outside the US.

There's still no Siri remote for Apple TV outside the US, there's no EKG feature for the Apple Watch, Home Pods are present in what, 4 countries worldwide? HomeKit is close to non-existent outside the North American market.

In short: Apple's market share outside the US is collapsing. Even in the richest countries of the world, that typically used to be Apple strongholds, iOS is on its way out. Mac OS devices are niche products now in many markets. All of this is a result of years of failed pricing policy, the failure to deliver on services, bad availability (the 2018 iPad Pro keyboard still has several weeks to months wait times in many countries, for example) and a lack of diversity in Apple's leadership.

The company is led by a bunch of white American old men. Steve Jobs already had a strong distaste for Europe and the same goes for Tim Cook to some extent. The other members of Apple's leadership / geriatric wing almost never show up anywhere outside the US, unless they're on vacation.

Again, not a big deal - there are plenty of high-quality alternatives. Apple just shouldn't be surprised that they're now confined to a very competitive market. Other companies have had years and years of experience in the multimedia business and none of them are doing anything fundamentally wrong. This is not a Blackberry vs Apple situation here. Netflix, Hulu, Disney etc. have well-liked and highly refined products already. This isn't going to be a walk in the park - and might just end up as one big failure, just like the Home Pod.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not embracing up next is simply stupid

It makes sense for Netflix to want to keep users within their own app, rather than be a dumb content pipe in someone else’s app.

I can understand why Netflix is doing this. They would rather you keep watching their content, rather than be recommended shows from another service.

Reactions: arkitect

producer26

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2016
You don't get it right, do you? The real news here is that the apple event will only be a parade of celebs and nothing more.No Mac Pro no nothing.Maybe just the iPad

Reactions: arkitect

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Just use Apple streaming, Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming, Hulu streaming, CBS streaming, HBO streaming, Disney streaming, etc.

How many different streaming services will the average family subscribe to ?

Not counting Amazon, because it's bundled with Prime anyway, I'm willing to pay for 1 streaming service.

If something isn't available on this service, I'd either decide not to watch it or just resort back to good old piracy.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Netflix is entertaining for a month or so until you're left with the dregs. Then you've got to (cancel) and come back in another 6 months to see if there's anything new. No reason to expect Apple's TV offering to fair much better. Hit TV shows are exceedingly rare...but sometimes they happen.
Yeah and in my opinion this is the next potential Hit TV Show.

Amazon Studios signed a reported $250m rights contract with the author’s estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema to produce a multi-season show for television. The Hollywood Reporter have reported that the budget is set to be at least $1 billion – the biggest in television history.
Read more at https://www.nme.com/blogs/tv-blogs/...se-date-plot-cast-2170413#0bDjkrmIDmQfipwm.99

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Going to be interesting to see how much Apple holds down content for the type it will allow.
Sex, Horror, Drugs, Violence, Abusive Language etc.

I don't wish to be treated like a school child by a company censoring the type of content I can view.

I'm amazingly happy with Netflix and it's own original content.
The only little issue I'd like to improve it how, due to the movie industry, we often can't see some movies because we are in the UK and not in the USA

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
This leaves me very confused as a consumer. Netflix is already on other platforms. I honestly can't fathom how Netflix would be "part of" the Apple TV service to begin with. Who thought that it might be? It's already an app on all Apple devices. What would change once this Apple TV service launches? Is it going to be an app that gives access to Apple-produced content much like the Netflix app does today?

They meant a licensing agreement. As in, Apple pays Netflix for their original content. Barring that, that Netflix would be a premium add-like HBO.

The devil is in the details. Netflix is confident that they can make much more money from new subscribers than licensing deals. However, that might change depending on how successful Apple is.

Basically, Netflix is confident they can compete with Apple and is taking a wait-and-see approach to their relationship without Apple. There is nothing wrong with the status quo and currently is the profit maximizing decision.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Apple's market reach is sinking rapidly - they're a company predominantly focused on and operating in the US now. Nothing wrong with that - companies like Spotify, Netflix, Google, Microsoft and Amazon are omnipresent in Europe and are gladly taking over Apple's former market share.

It's interesting that you think Apple is becoming a U.S. only company while 4 out of the 5 companies you list as "taking over" are also U.S. companies. What "market share" would Microsoft or Google or Amazon be taking? Hardware?

ceej01

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
And why would Apple want to work with Netflix.. They produce rubbish content like Bird Box and stream B grade films.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
imho i think netflix is garbage. i have never subscribed to it and never will in the future, even if it was free.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Don’t subscribe to any of these services ,and keeping it that way..

Yeah like the world needs is another streaming video service that charges lmao, everyone let’s all get excited
[doublepost=1552991319][/doublepost]
imho i think netflix is garbage. i have never subscribed to it and never will in the future, even if it was free.

Only statement here I agree with.
[doublepost=1552991371][/doublepost]
It's interesting that you think Apple is becoming a U.S. only company while 4 out of the 5 companies you list as "taking over" are also U.S. companies. What "market share" would Microsoft or Google or Amazon be taking? Hardware?

I think you missed his point a little, it’s not where the companies are based out of lol

Reactions: STC1709

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Yeah and in my opinion this is the next potential Hit TV Show.

I suppose it's possible, but what's the hook to get the general public to rewatch the Lord of the Rings storyline? Peter Jackson already did the "see it with CGI bells and whistles" hook.
[doublepost=1552992021][/doublepost]
I think you missed his point a little, it’s not where the companies are based out of lol

Not really. Why would anyone think Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Netflix understand the European market better than Apple when they're all U.S. based companies? Apple has been selling products/services in Europe for decades. As for the movie/TV services, these companies are all doing the same thing: spending a lot of $$ hiring the same people that already created cinema, network TV, and cable TV content and hoping there are some lucrative hits here and there.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Apple has no incentive to buy or partner with Netflix.

Netflix is waiting to see how many people ditch their service for Disney’s offering.

I imagine Netflix will see a loss of customers, their value will drop, and then they’ll be ripe for buying at a discount.

Yeah. Let's just over-estimate the power of Disney for a while. I'm pretty sure that I will ditch content like STRANGER THINGS for ARIELLE any day. ;-)

The real problem is that the idiots in Hollywood once again believe in FRAGMENTATION. They "divided" the world into content regions when the first DVDs came out, repeated the nonsense when BluRays were released and until today still believe that this model is a good thing. Then they put FBI warnings on DVDs to punish the paying customers while everybody who pirated the movies never saw those annoying banners. Not to mention the stupid "ads" they forced people who actually bought the DVD to watch. Then they still don't have a ****ing clue that even in countries were English is not the native language people want to watch movies in the original language and want (or need) the English subtitles. Instead, they force ****** "localized" versions down our throats and NOT give us the original movie version (at least on most streaming services where you pay more for the download version than for the DVD/BluRay this is the case).

And now they even believe that people will willingly sign up for dozens of streaming services to watch movies or TV shows. Now Disney, tomorrow Warner, then Fox, who knows who else will jump on the idiot train.

Then in a few years from now they will whine about not making enough money from streaming and that pirated content is the cause of that problem -- and not their idiotic decision making.

Note for the record: I have an Amazon Prime and a Netflix subscription. I won't be signing up for any other streaming service. And I guess I'm not alone there.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
So Apple didn’t have any problems with Netflix riding their coattails, but now all of the sudden they won’t return the favor.

This in some ways supports Apple's counter-argument to Spotify; Apple has rules that their partners and they follow. From my perspective, Spotify wants to have different rules. And is complaining to the EU to have them changed.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
I suppose it's possible, but what's the hook to get the general public to rewatch the Lord of the Rings storyline? Peter Jackson already did the "see it with CGI bells and whistles" hook.
Well it looks like you haven't read the books. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies explored only small parts of the overall story.
I would honestly like to see them explore a few of the stories in Silmarillion, the initial battles between the Elves, Humans and the Melkor or Sauron(when it still had all it's powers like shape shifting). With a 1 billion dollars budget this is more than possible.

Something similar is happening with Game Of Thrones, after the TV series will be over they will do a few spinoffs because the tvseries didn't explore the entire story.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
[doublepost=1552992021][/doublepost]

Not really. Why would anyone think Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Netflix understand the European market better than Apple when they're all U.S. based companies? Apple has been selling products/services in Europe for decades. As for the movie/TV services, these companies are all doing the same thing: spending a lot of $$ hiring the same people that already created cinema, network TV, and cable TV content and hoping there are some lucrative hits here and there.

It has little to do with who “understands” the European market when Apple see,s to not even be giving it much attention, unlike the other companies mentioned who are now capitalizing on those customers.

Last time I checked there aren’t any good euro tech companies, and someone has to provide services. The point was Google etc. will gladly fill that void making additional revenue

Reactions: ROGmaster

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Last edited:

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Not really. Why would anyone think Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Netflix understand the European market better than Apple when they're all U.S. based companies?
Because their services work and are better in Europe than Apple's.
Apple has been selling products in Europe for decades but their efforts to increase the quality of the services so they match the US variants seems minimal.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Just use Apple streaming, Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming, Hulu streaming, CBS streaming, HBO streaming, Disney streaming, etc.

How many different streaming services will the average family subscribe to ?
Uh. So many that it would actually be cheaper to just get cable at some point

Reactions: Abazigal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.