Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
They over estimated how many they would lose.

Anyway I have all the streaming services and the best is MUBI. Anyone who disagrees has no taste And dresses badly.
Wrong. Best is MHZ where one episode is both a language lesson and a great story and beats a feature film in US.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Turns out, HBO MAX probably has 1/20th the number of subscribers Netflix has and Apple TV+ which, to this day, I've paid $0 for yet somehow always get their shows for free, increased its subs is not surprising.

Next you'll tell me how great Vinyl is doing because they went from 10k sales in 2018 to 40k sales in 2022 and its going to over-take Spotify with such massive growth.

It's a poor comparison. Netflix has likely hit the extent of its growth, while the others are still growing (before they also because flat in growth).

Netflix still turned a 9% profit.

Don't call me a shill, I'd drop them if it wasn't for getting the service for like $3 or something from TMO.
They turned a 9% YoY gain (not a "9% profit"), but it is untenable. Price increases - especially in the midst of a looming recession and ridiculous inflation - are ultimately going to hit a point of diminishing returns and then negative returns.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Netflix isn’t just a middle man. They make original content. They actually were the first streaming service to do so. House of Cards is an example.

That's correct, but a huge chunk of their success & market share was due to being a middle-man for the likes of Disney, Warner, Paramount, and Universal. None of them had streaming services 5 years ago, but now all of them have a streaming service. That puts a ton of pressure on Netflix to keep coming up with popular new content. They will never have a 100 year archive that can compete with the established movie & TV studios.

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
I blame their subscriber loss on the constant emails they send out indicating which good shows are leaving Netflix with a list of sub-par Netflix-produced shows replacing them. Plain and simple, all the good studios are putting their content exclusively on their own streaming services and content is expensive to produce. Stranger Things is the best original content Netflix has going for them and while awesome, you can literally get Netflix for one month per year and binge that.
True of all streaming platforms unless your idea is streaming is just rewatching Friends episodes.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That's correct, but a huge chunk of their success & market share was due to being a middle-man for the likes of Disney, Warner, Paramount, and Universal. None of them had streaming services 5 years ago, but now all of them have a streaming service. That puts a ton of pressure on Netflix to keep coming up with popular new content. They will never have a 100 year archive that can compete with the established movie & TV studios.
Using WB movies on HBO Max, their representation of movie classics is very limited. Westerns are hardly any, they all been licensed to other streaming hosts, EPIX and Tubi have large collections of that genre. Universal classics are MIA also. Disney has done a good job of gradually releasing older content, but considering how much they have not released they have a very long time before they are a threat. Paramount like CBS doesn’t have a lot of classics available either, just look at TV content offered. So 100 year archives isn’t a threat for awhile.

LLYDIA

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
I'm really looking forward to this shared product, I've been using a shared account for a long time, mainly because it's only for me and it's cheap , I don't want to spend too much money on this kind of subscription...

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Using WB movies on HBO Max, their representation of movie classics is very limited. Westerns are hardly any, they all been licensed to other streaming hosts, EPIX and Tubi have large collections of that genre. Universal classics are MIA also. Disney has done a good job of gradually releasing older content, but considering how much they have not released they have a very long time before they are a threat. Paramount like CBS doesn’t have a lot of classics available either, just look at TV content offered. So 100 year archives isn’t a threat for awhile.

The 100 year aspect probably is not a hugely desired thing for many people in the audience. They might only care about newer stuff. Still doesn't change the fact the legacy studios are sitting on some pretty valuable properties. HBO Max already has a lot of the most famous older films like Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, etc. They even have old Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry cartoons, etc.

Netflix will never be able to compete with some of the franchise material that exists with the likes of Disney or Warner. Both Disney Plus & HBO Max are already loaded with superhero franchise stuff. Netflix used to have access to the Marvel movies for instance. That access is drying up and will continue to get worse for Netflix as the major studios put more emphasis on their own service instead of making royalties from Netflix.

AndyBMac

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2021
I don’t care what anyone thinks, when they canceled Cowboy Bebop I canceled my account. Canceling on a cliff hanger too, I’m done. They cancel everything I like and wasted Lost in Space.

Reactions: Huck and xyz01

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
when you end your business without saying it...you do what netflix does
Its clear as intended, probably they want out of this without any lawsuits. In 1-2 years they declare bankruptcy and done with it

Reactions: AndyBMac

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
It’s not about price guys. It’s about low quality content. Same story with video game industry….. people are still paying full price for 3A games. They even forced diversity on resident evil. User comment section is gold.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
"Netflix blames its subscriber loss on connected TV adoption, account sharing, and competition..."

Yep.....anything but the reality....talk about throwing dust in their own eyes....

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
I like some of the new Netflix shows that we get from international TVs, this is refreshing. But Netflix itself is apparently in difficulties against the power of Disney for new large budget series, they cannot even get the full DC universe.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Netflix itself is apparently in difficulties against the power of Disney for new large budget series, they cannot even get the full DC universe.

Well... that's because DC is owned by Warner/Discovery/HBO/whatever and they want people to subscribe to their service.

It used to be that Netflix was THE place for online video streaming. But those days are long gone.

Now all the various entertainment properties have gone home to their own streaming services... for better or worse.

Reactions: redfirebird08

JonBOY26

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Australia
Here in Australia, the standard Netflix plan (no 4K) costs AUD$16.99 per month, while the "Premium" 4K plan currently costs AUD$22.99 per month. The high price coupled with the marked decline in content quality led me to completely cancel my Netflix subscription a couple of months ago (I was on a Premium plan).

I'll be giving Paramount+ a go come September, which is gradually increasing their 4K offering and currently priced very competitively at AUD$8.99 per month.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Mmm. Bet they wish they had some of that sweet Cowboy Bebop/Resident Evil money back right about now, huh?
Not too late to scrap that live action ATLA remake, however. Cut their losses and avoid the negative press when it gets trashed by critics and viewers alike.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
At some point many of the popular streaming services will catch on and start making people sign contracts that lock you in. Just wait and see–it'll happen.
Other services already do that - in that you get a good discount for a yearly subscription rather than month by month.

Netflix' issue is that it makes no sense that their price (and I count the 4k price here) is about the same as HBO Max (launch pricing - 50% lifetime discount), Disney+ (yearly) , and AppleTV+ combined in Norway.

Combined with losing most of the good content to other services, the pricing is clearly too high. Cancelling content I like doesn't help.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Poor old Netflix 😆, I wonder if their crackdown on password sharing will help much?
Well these are the stats related to that.

• Around 27% of Netflix subscribers in the United States share their accounts with family members. (Compari Tech)
  • Another 18% share it with their friends, while 9% share it with relatives from another home. 47.5% of users refuse to reveal their passwords.
  • People viewing netflix without paying is around 41%

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Netflix isn’t just a middle man. They make original content. They actually were the first streaming service to do so. House of Cards is an example.
True. However, they don't have the back catalogue of quality content of the other services, and their new content isn't up to the same level as HBO (at least until Discovery ruins that).

Their pricing - much higher than the competition - is very high already, thus is shouldn't be a surprise that people react to price hikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.