Netflix Original Programming- Could be Time To Subscribe!

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
You waited *this* long ?

Yep, subscribe...

I dismissed 'Netfix Originals" as well, but now look at me..... I'm "flying faster than super-man" (ain't that the truth) *rolls eyes*

I'm watching more originals than non-origionals.. They just keep getting better

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We watched episode one of Ann With An E, a Netflix adaption of Anne of Green Gables, a young adult book series and remake of the human interest story of an orphan girl that goes to live with an elderly brother and sister (she's not related to them) based in 1890s Canada. It was pretty good. however I see that at Rotten tomatoes it has an 89% pretty good, but the critics hammered it as being too dark. Well, we'll keep going for now. :)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We watched episode one of Ann With An E, a Netflix adaption of Anne of Green Gables, a young adult book and remake of the human interest story of an orphan girl that goes to live with an elderly brother and sister (she's not related to them) based in 1890s Canada. It was pretty good. however I see that at Rotten tomatoes it has an 89% pretty good, but the critics hammered it as being too dark. Well, we'll keep going for now. :)

The wife and I are 3 episodes in and enjoying this human drama story. Did anyone read this book? After discovering this Vanity Fair article (warning spoilers) that slams it as terribly wrong, then reading this New York Post article describing it as a gritty adaption, I would agree with the latter. And having not read the book I assume the criticism has mostly to do with what I imagine, because the up-beat story about an orphan girl at the turn of the 20th century, gets a dose of reality and possibly horror (for a young adult book written in 1908), if you read the following spoiler. ;)

Question for those who read the book, if you don't mind spoilers:
Anne gets into trouble with students and parents after Anne and her friend see their male teacher and female student though a window acting romantic with each other, standing close and caressing each other's hands. All the girls want to know what they saw, and Anne based on her experience being a foster child, perfuntily tells them they were being intimate and making a baby. When the girls ask how, she tells them that the student has to touch his mouse which he keeps in his front pocket. (This is what she was told by someone) Then Anne goes on to relate her time at a foster home, how the adults would retire to their bedroom and sometimes it would sound like they were having fun and at other times like the woman was being beaten to death and the next day the woman would frequently be in a bad mood and hit her with a wooden spoon.
...yes gritty and I'll bet this kind of subject matters was not within 10 miles of the original young adult book? :)

Edit: typos and organization

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We watched episode one of Ann With An E, a Netflix adaption of Anne of Green Gables, a young adult book series and remake of the human interest story of an orphan girl that goes to live with an elderly brother and sister (she's not related to them) based in 1890s Canada. It was pretty good. however I see that at Rotten tomatoes it has an 89% pretty good, but the critics hammered it as being too dark. Well, we'll keep going for now. :)

The wife and I are 3 episodes in and enjoying this human drama story. Did anyone read this book? After discovering this Vanity Fair article (warning spoilers) that slams it as terribly wrong, then reading this New York Post article describing it as a gritty adaption, I would agree with the latter. And having not read the book I assume the criticism has mostly to do with what I imagine, because the up-beat story about an orphan girl at the turn of the 20th century, gets a dose of reality and possibly horror (for a young adult book written in 1908), if you read the following spoiler. ;)

Question for those who read the book, if you don't mind spoilers:
Anne gets into trouble with students and parents after Anne and her friend see their male teacher and female student though a window acting romantic with each other, standing close and caressing each other's hands. All the girls want to know what they saw, and Anne based on her experience being a foster child, perfuntily tells them they were being intimate and making a baby. When the girls ask how, she tells them that the student has to touch his mouse which he keeps in his front pocket. (This is what she was told by someone) Then Anne goes on to relate her time at a foster home, how the adults would retire to their bedroom and sometimes it would sound like they were having fun and at other times like the woman was being beaten to death and the next day the woman would frequently be in a bad mood and hit her with a wooden spoon.
...yes gritty and I'll bet this kind of subject matters was not within 10 miles of the original young adult book? :)

Edit: typos and organization
Just finished Season 1, only 7 episodes, excellent! :D Season 2 has not been announced (I don't think) but it has not been canceled either.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Binged SCD today. Hilarious show. Not overly funny, but very good. I can't wait until season 2. I took a gander at Netflix's offerings after I'd finished the series and I'm seeing more and more foreign shows. Very cool stuff. There used to be this channel or still is that aired foreign film a lot. FCI or something like that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Binged SCD today. Hilarious show. Not overly funny, but very good. I can't wait until season 2. I took a gander at Netflix's offerings after I'd finished the series and I'm seeing more and more foreign shows. Very cool stuff. There used to be this channel or still is that aired foreign film a lot. FCI or something like that.
You are probably thinking of IFC (Independent Film Channel). SundanceTV is somewhat similar in that respect as well.

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Hmm, I missed Iron Fist too, last March. Any opinions based on viewing?

Unfortunately, it's a bad parody of Arrow. (Yeah, I know, it really isn't, but they are many similar bits between them.) I wanted to like it, kept trying to like it. Didn't like it.

In this case, he has this magical martial arts power, but can't really harness it when he should. Maybe he's the next Greatest American Hero. (got the suit of power, lost the instructions).

They even introduced a very attractive Asian love interest who happens to be a serious badass, and even that didn't help.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunately, it's a bad parody of Arrow. (Yeah, I know, it really isn't, but they are many similar bits between them.) I wanted to like it, kept trying to like it. Didn't like it.

In this case, he has this magical martial arts power, but can't really harness it when he should. Maybe he's the next Greatest American Hero. (got the suit of power, lost the instructions).

They even introduced a very attractive Asian love interest who happens to be a serious badass, and even that didn't help.
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot eventually. Is it comedic? Not being able to harness his power when he needs to sounds like it might be humorous?

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks, I’ll give it a shot eventually. Is it comedic? Not being able to harness his power when he needs to sounds like it might humorous?
No, they play it seriously.

But, I'd say give it a try. You might like it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hmm, I missed Iron Fist too, last March. Any opinions based on viewing?

I thought Iron Fist was pretty good, but my general rule when it comes to these kinds of shows is to not have high expectations. I collected comics as a kid and so I enjoy seeing the characters come to television and the big screen. I'm not looking for Oscar or Emmy award winning performances. For me, sticking to the basics of the comic story line with decent acting and production makes the transition from written media to video media fun and entertaining.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I thought Iron Fist was pretty good, but my general rule when it comes to these kinds of shows is to not have high expectations. I collected comics as a kid and so I enjoy seeing the characters come to television and the big screen. I'm not looking for Oscar or Emmy award winning performances. For me, sticking to the basics of the comic story line with decent acting and production makes the transition from written media to video media fun and entertaining.
A good appraisal. As far as production values and general intrigue, I think I’d rate Sense 8 and Legion at the top. Stranger Things took off in the second season. The Marvel series I’ve seen have been watchable.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Feb 3, 2017- Santa Clarita Diet- Undead comedy. Drew Barrymoore and Tim Olyphant.

...that's a solid maybe. ;)
Yes it is far fetched, but god there are some really funny scenes in this one. The scene with the Deputy Sheriff and his neighbor who is a cop from another department is priceless.

I would suggest the following also:

MindHunter. Great season one and anxiously waiting for season two! I am re-reading his book called "Journey Into Darkness" right now.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Liverpool, UK
Off the top of my head, all the Marvel shows on there as well as Narcos, which is one of the best shows ever made in this century. I also recently subscribed to Amazon Prime and they have several amazing original shows on there like StartUp, Mr. Robot, Sneaky Pete, American Gods, The Night Manager, and Patriot.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I also recently subscribed to Amazon Prime and they have several amazing original shows on there like StartUp, Mr. Robot, Sneaky Pete, American Gods, The Night Manager, and Patriot.
Just an FYI: Mr. Robot and American Gods are not Amazon Originals (USA Network and Starz respectively).

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@D.T. That's odd, they sure do claim that American Gods is an Amazon Original on their website (see screenshot attached), whereas it says "Amazon Exclusive' on Mr. Robot so I was quite mistaken there.
That is weird! Maybe just a mistake an Amazon's part or maybe some kind of information slip (like some kind of acquisition??) It was always marketed as a Starz original, we sub'ed to Stars specifically for it (before it was available anywhere else, back in June of this year).

From the Wiki entry:

American Gods is an American television series based on the novel of the same name, written by Neil Gaiman and originally published in 2001. The television series was developed by Bryan Fuller and Michael Green for the premium cable network Starz. Fuller and Green served as the showrunners for the first season, and are set to be replaced for the second season. Gaiman serves as an executive producer along with Fuller, Green, Craig Cegielski, Stefanie Berk, David Slade, and Adam Kane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods_(TV_series)

Also my Amazon (shows this):

upload_2017-12-4_13-45-35.png

Reactions: Tarek

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@D.T. Wow, that's just very weird. Maybe it's a locale thing? I'm in the UK and you're in the US so that would make sense.
Ahh, I bet that's it, yeah, it may be effectively "original programming" if it's delivered first run on Amazon in the UK (regardless of being developed by Starz).

Reactions: Tarek

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bill Nye Saves The World- Excellent science based show designed to raise awareness. We Are Not Responsible, Climate Change Deniers will not care for it.

3F76A48E-21BE-43A8-AD4A-5B69CE7270BC.jpeg

Godless- Western about a bad guy and a town full of women whose husbands were killed in a mining accident. Starting this soon.

23FB0E40-4BD6-45CF-8881-504A891208E1.jpeg