Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today announced the full official rollout of its Netflix Games feature, which will allow Netflix users to play a handful of games on their mobile devices.

netflix-games-launch.jpg

At the current time, Netflix is making games available for Android users, but support for iOS is "on the way." Netflix says that it's early days, but its goal is to build a library of games offering "something for everyone."

Games available today include "Stranger Things: 1984," "Stranger Things 3: The Game," "Shooting Hoops," "Card Blast," and "Teeter Up."

Accessing games on Netflix requires a Netflix subscription, and there are no ads, additional fees, or in-app purchases, which is how Apple's gaming service, Apple Arcade, operates. Android users will now see a dedicated games row and games tab in the Netflix app, and will be able to select games to download and play.

It's not clear how the iOS version of the app will work. Netflix can have a "catalog" app like its main Netflix app (or a separate Games app) that lists gaming titles, linking out to games that can be downloaded from the App Store. Alternatively, Netflix can use a web-based solution, but games would need to be streaming titles.

Netflix says that it will continue to improve the mobile gaming experience in the coming months, but there is no word yet on when Netflix's games will come to iOS devices.

Article Link: Netflix Taking on Apple Arcade With Official Games Launch on Android

Reactions: Wildkraut

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
Ha! Netflix won’t survive. Good luck. Apple Arcade is way too good.

They are going after PS5, XBOX and other major gaming competitors.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009
I don't think there's much to wonder about per "how" the games will appear on iOS. They just need to make iOS-native versions of the Android games. The more important thing to wonder about is whether or not they'll include Mac and ATV versions like Apple Arcade does.

Reactions: GregoriusM

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
What I hate is that they keep increasing the prices and now I'm effectively paying for this crap that I don't want. At least Apple charges extra for Apple Arcade and bundles it on Apple One, which is already a good deal. They didn't increase the price of Apple Music because they now offer Apple Arcade. But Netflix basically does this.

TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

macrumors demi-goddess
Apple Arcade is pretty much a flop!
Still think it’s a flop?

Apple's profits from gaming outweighed those of major game companies, according to a report, with Apple earning more from App Store games in its 2019 fiscal year than Nintendo, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, and Sony combined.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Still think it’s a flop?

Apple's profits from gaming outweighed those of major game companies, according to a report, with Apple earning more from App Store games in its 2019 fiscal year than Nintendo, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, and Sony combined.

You don’t think it’s a wee bit disingenuous to conflate “all the money Apple makes on games in the App Store” with “Apple Arcade”?

Because it really is.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
And why exactly?
Because people who pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a piece of tech should be able to do as they please with it?

What would it cost you? No one would force you to venture outside the comforts of the walled garden if you didn’t want to, after all. You could continue to only load the apps Apple says are safe (even though the App Store remains rife with scams, but that’s a whole other conversation).

I’ll never understand why some people get so angry or feel so threatened by other people having choices open to them that don’t affect them in any way.

Realityck

macrumors 68030
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Still think it’s a flop?

Apple's profit from the App store games represents a lot more than the revenues associated with Apple Arcade. ;)

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
Because people who pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a piece of tech should be able to do as they please with it?

What would it cost you? No one would force you to venture outside the comforts of the walled garden if you didn’t want to, after all. You could continue to only load the apps Apple says are safe (even though the App Store remains rife with scams, but that’s a whole other conversation).

I’ll never understand why some people get so angry or feel so threatened by other people having choices open to them that don’t affect them in any way.
Why enable “features” that will be abused and are only wanted by some?
And don’t tell me that that would not get abused, cause 90+% of iPhone users just click on their social media apps and have no idea…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.