Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, like Apple would have given a mock up of their coveted iPhone to other suppliers before it's announced. 3rd party companies put out accessories within a week of announcement so I doubt Apple would have done this.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Yeah, like Apple would have given a mock up of their coveted iPhone to other suppliers before it's announced. 3rd party companies put out accessories within a week of announcement so I doubt Apple would have done this.

I wouldnt be surprised if they did give them something to work with. If it is somehow going to be in stores very soon after the announcement they will want cases and such available, hence will need to give the manufacturers something to go on.

looks good to me, id be happy if it was real

Thats quite a turnaround from your original fingerprint post!!!

I would be more than happy as well if it looked like that.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Have you ever wondered what that large piece of plastic slapped onto the bottom back of the iPhone is for?? :rolleyes: If reception wasn't an issue through the metal used on the back of the phone, do you think they would have put that there??

No i never wondered, i know its to house the radio antennas and yes i know aluminum acts as a faraday cage but that didn't make Apple shy away from Aluminum now did it :rolleyes:

iMac...Aluminum
MBA...Aluminum
MBP...Aluminum
Mac Pro...Aluminum
Mac Mini...Aluminum
iPhone 1...Aluminmum
Apple TV...Aluminum

All of which are wireless devices. In other words, signal reception is not that much of an issue

johntech

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
Apple will release TWO versions of the 3G iPhone... Black and White.

The white version will have less memory and will be cheaper. The black version will have more memory, cost more, and will include a front-mounted camera for video conferencing that the white version will not have.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
No i never wondered, i know its to house the radio antennas and yes i know aluminum acts as a faraday cage but that didn't make Apple shy away from Aluminum now did it :rolleyes:

iMac...Aluminum
MBA...Aluminum
MBP...Aluminum
Mac Pro...Aluminum
Mac Mini...Aluminum
iPhone 1...Aluminmum <---- With Plastic
Apple TV...Aluminum

All of which are wireless devices. In other words, signal reception is not that much of an issue

All of those devices except the iPhone unsurprisingly don't need to get onto the GSM network, only WiFi a different kettle of fish all together. I'm not trying to be nasty about it just putting across my view on it. Thats the one thing I loath about conveying information through text, there is no emotion or feeling as to how you are saying something. Maybe 10.5.3 will provide the fix lol!! :D

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I hope the 3G iPhone uses the same materials (glass&aluminum&thinnovation)

If the 3G phone is made of plastic - that would make me think that Apple would be raked over the coals by Greenpeace.

I'm no chemist, buy moving to MORE plastic is not very green.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
the angles at which those pictures are taken is deceptive. They look like they could be as thick as a current iphone or thinner like a new 3g iphone, which is rumored to be thicker?:confused: I think someone nailed it when they said these could be SHELLS sent to case companies for the first iphone, if I had one, I would throw it on the internet and laugh at the frenzy too.:)

Anyway, if you don't want to buy one because its plastic, great, can we stop hearing about it please. Same forum hated the new ipod nano's, then they were released, apple still sold them. And I don't think apple has is dumb, so they won't make their most anticipated product for this summer, so awful you won't buy it, say you don't like the plastic or that zirconia, steve will have you lining up to buy it for some other reason.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

There seems to have been a lot more of these images than usual. Maybe it's just me though.

phinnaeus

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I don't get why they had to go with plastic though what was wrong with aluminum? its malleable, green and better looking. Maybe reception issue but i doubt. I prefer the look of iPhone 1. If this is the final design then i might just go and get me a 16GB iPhone 1.

Then again iPhone had fake prototypes distributed around to throw people off. This may be the case here, i'll maintain skepticism till i see one powered on and in use

I don't know how many times I have to say ZIRCONIA.

What's wrong with aluminum? I dunno, maybe the metallic part of it reflects radio waves? Nah, who needs those in a cell phone...

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Just to put the monkey wrench in again, there is clearly a smudge (or something) on the screen of this thing that could be the front mounted camera in pretty much the exact right location.

Also, if the camera is supposed to be under the glass (and it is), and this is an iphone without any "naughty bits" (also looks to be the case), then the front mounted camera wouldn't actually be there. The glass over the top of where it is supposed to be mounted need not show anything either.

So we could still be talking about a front mounted camera anyway. *crosses fingers* :)

A front side camera like the sight on IMAC can well be fitted under the black surface surrounding the speaker-hole. This would give the Flush, MINIMALISTIC, Appleish look.:apple:;)

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I think e-Mail and Safari on the iPhone are fun but not really usable because there's no spam filter, no password saver and Safari is just slow, even on WIFI.

There's a 3rd party app called 1password for Macs. If you use a Mac, I 100% recommend this software. It keeps track of all of your website passwords on your computer, and they now have the option of syncing it to your iPhone and using it on there (I haven't used it since I don't have an iPhone yet though). Assuming it works like it should, it'll let you log into your accounts with extreme ease.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Ohh, pretty - I like the look of this "leaked iPhone".

I hope Apple has something similar to this in mind, I'd love a non-chrome back - no more getting mad at myself for ruining the device with scratches.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Request To Apple And The Color White

Can we s***can this White Colorscheme fetish already? Holy crap I wanna throw up everytime a cool device has to become Pearl White.

Puke.

Is it an Evil Knievel White Helmet fetish or something?

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Can we s***can this White Colorscheme fetish already? Holy crap I wanna throw up everytime a cool device has to become Pearl White.

Puke.

Is it an Evil Knievel White Helmet fetish or something?

what about the trademark WHITE APPLE LOGO, does that make you puke? White is kinda, and has kinda been apple's thing.

just a little harsh...although over time i get sick of white also. black is easier to live with, for me.

gmoney550

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
I highly doubt Apple would transition from Aluminum to Plastic. Considering every Apple product has transitioned from plastic to aluminum within the last few years except for the macbook which will probably move to aluminum soon, Apple would never move back to plastic. Aluminum is greener and that's the way Apple has moved.

phinnaeus

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I give up.

...Probably for the best, I'm usually never right about this kind of thing. And just for the record, I agree that plastic is both tacky in terms of a device, and bad for the environment, so extremely unlikely.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
White volume control but black ringer switch? Odd and suspicious. But not impossible, especially if it's a prototype/mockup.

If it's real, I want to see it in red!

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
so say it has more plastic on it, just call it a bigger signal window compared to the current iphone, would you not buy it? And I think zirconia, is what the hope is anywho...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
All of those devices except the iPhone unsurprisingly don't need to get onto the GSM network, only WiFi a different kettle of fish all together. I'm not trying to be nasty about it just putting across my view on it. Thats the one thing I loath about conveying information through text, there is no emotion or feeling as to how you are saying something. Maybe 10.5.3 will provide the fix lol!! :D

Haha...i think its a simple misunderstanding. I see where you're coming from in that you can just get rid of signaling issues by just going all plastic. But my argument is, the black antenna does a fine job as it is. Also Apple has been building aluminum enclosures that are wireless capable for a while now, which is why i said i doubt they went plastic for signaling sake. therefore going plastic for signal improvement isn't that much of an argument IMHO

Its probably more about cost...i would guess plastic is cheaper than aluminum and if you're gonna be making thousands/millions of this it adds up

but you maybe right about the signaling thing

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

iMac...Aluminum
MBA...Aluminum
MBP...Aluminum
Mac Pro...Aluminum
Mac Mini...Aluminum
iPhone 1...Aluminmum
Apple TV...Aluminum

All of which have plastic:

iMac...Aluminum - Black plastic on back of unit
MBA...Aluminum - Plastic Keyboard Not 100% sure where signal gets through, but there is an opening.
MBP...Aluminum - Plastic Keyboard
Mac Pro...Aluminum - Not sure on this one
Mac Mini...Aluminum - Plastic Top
iPhone 1...Aluminmum - Plastic bottom cover
Apple TV...Aluminum - Plastic top

It has also been proven that the MacBook has better reception then the MBP (go look for thread here on MR somewhere).

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
At first I thought that this was ridiculous, for the front and back are misleading, the buttons don't match, the home button is "wonky" (as someone graciously put it), and white supposedly was being discontinued.
However, as I read along I realized, and I agree, that this case is most likely meant to be misleading.
Dimensions and surface material should be the same, though, as to mimic the surface of what the 3G iPhone will be.

Anyone?

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
nice! isnt it being more close to reality?!
i will probably pick white.
btw....where is the photo light....where is it..:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.