Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Hope to see LED, Display Port or HDMI, iSight and FW800 and height adjustment.

timniclas

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
What we need is infrared.

Why is nobody crying for a built-in infrared sensor? Does nobody out there want to use the Apple Remote with his Mac Pro and Front Row AND a 30" inch Display?
For my part I'm missing the Remote very much since I've switched to a Pro from a 24" white iMac, that was just not up to heavy-duty work.

I'd also like to see a built-in iSight. Maybe it's possible to offer two versions of any display: With and without iSight, so that the no-second-camera-needed-whiners can get their iSight free display too.

In case they release a 30" inch LED display at a prohobitive price, I'm the first one to buy a used 30" inch and will hopefully be happy with it.

After all, let's be honest: Apple doesn't care about the displays because the big money is made elsewhere, namely the portables, the iPods and the iPhone.

They just need some for their own use, so that they don't have to look at an other manufacturer's logo in their headquarter and therefore don't bother with the price. I bet they will release some stunning, innovative pieces of art at unaffordable prices for most of us.

And by the way: Everybody who's denying the sheer beauty of the current ACDs is either blind or a complete moron.

Thanks for reading.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Great, this again.....~~~ sheesh. iduno about you about I wouldn't want to even *look* at (much less work on) a display thats covered in fingerprints, dirt, oils and other crap...

Yeh, it's gross. Why would anyone ever use an iPhone? You have to touch it and stuff. Then it gets fingerprints. And door handles are totally useless as well. Who would use one? Flush with your feet, right?

The Tall One

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I dig it

Thats cool. I always thought Apple's displays were about $400 too expensive. I just hope I was paying for quality when I bought the medium one for $900.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
After all, let's be honest: Apple doesn't care about the displays because the big money is made elsewhere, namely the portables, the iPods and the iPhone. They just need some for their own use, so that they don't have to look at an other manufacturer's logo in their headquarter and therefore don't bother with the price.

You'd be surprised how many Macs are connected to Dell or Samsung displays in professional shops. This happened over the past 6 years because Apple's displays were too expensive and too problematic, plus, at the time, Apple wouldn't cover their displays with an extended warranty unless it was purchased WITH a Mac computer. So, if you bought a Mac one month and the display the next month, your display wouldn't be covered by AppleCare if your computer was.

So, lots of people got fed up and now have big shiny Dell or Samsung logos all over their desktops instead of the beautiful Mac displays. Quite a few times visitors to our office ask us if we're running a new version of Windows because they think we have PCs.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
No it is not hard.
But it is not about difficulty or cost.

It is probably all about Steve Jobs being convinced the ACD needs an iSight.

How long exactly did Apple only sell a one-button mouse? Correct.

Talk about stuborn. :rolleyes:

What is wrong with a one button mouse ? I still use mine right now and still like it.

I hope for some update on the displays. LED backlight, iSight build-in, DVI and HDMI ports, thinner design would be all real great.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I wonder if they are going to give you the option of glossy or matte.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
HDMI-so you can hook up and use a ATV on the Cinema Display.

so you want an HDMI port to connect your computer's display with the device apple released to allow you to watch the content of your computer whilst not sat at your computer!? I don't even know where to start with that comment!

so I'm still waiting for someone to explain why the need for HDMI? (HDCP can be done over DVI).

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I'd say it's the opposite. Most Dell displays are better than Apple's. I'm not talking about the design and casing, I'm talking about the LCD panel and features. I've looked at both side-by-side, and the Dell was always sharper, brighter and had no color fading or uneven backlighting like the Apple displays have. I bought 3 Dells to replace 3 returned 23" ACDs. I've seen the evidence first-hand. The only "problem" with the Dell displays is that they are a little too bright at night.

Our experience here in our design studio -- which is considerable -- suggests exactly the opposite, especially in terms of color management and accuracy for SWOP work.

Bottom line is this: ACD's use more highly refined LUT's than most Dells. ACD's are SWOP certified out of the box (important for Legal Certification with high end clients and lawsuit potential risk), Dell's are not and finally, Dell's are far too prone to hardware error adjustment from the front panel controls. ACD's take calibration much more precisely as do panels from NEC, Eizo, and HP. But Dells, they are generally regarded as lower grade.

INDEPENDENT evaluations from Aris Technica, Barefeats, etc, consistently bear this out. As do reviews in forums like DP Review, etc.

Over the past few years we replaced two Dell 30 inch panels with HP LP3065's -- a far superior panel and LUT combination than the Dell's. We still have a Dell 24, that we test video and websites on, but for the real development we go with the NEC and ACD 23's in this monitor size.

Our experience is opposite yours.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Bottom line is this: ACD's use more highly refined LUT's than most Dells. ACD's are SWOP certified out of the box (important for Legal Certification with high end clients and lawsuit potential risk), Dell's are not and finally, Dell's are far too prone to hardware error adjustment from the front panel controls. ACD's take calibration much more precisely as do panels from NEC, Eizo, and HP. But Dells, they are generally regarded as lower grade.
This is why I would like Apple to continue with using high-grade panels in the upcoming ACDs, and not use a lower quality panel to save price. If lower prices is what Apple wants, release a separate line with lower quality panels for those who want cheaper monitors.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
This is why I would like Apple to continue with using high-grade panels in the upcoming ACDs, and not use a lower quality panel to save price. If lower prices is what Apple wants, release a separate line with lower quality panels for those who want cheaper monitors.

Amen!

I agree 100% with you.

Apple should not try to compete with Dell, etc.

They will lose the professional market.

I have shared similar thoughts to yours, regarding forked display lines, in the past here on MacRumors.

JoeDMD

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
NJ
Dell panels are generally not in the same quality control and color stability league as Apple LCD's. Notice I said "generally" so don't flame me about the new Dell panels being "better" than Apple's, because obviously some are. But generally Dell sells to a lower target in terms of professional features and price points than Apple.

I believe that on some of the monitors, dell and apple used the same exact phillips panels, apple just charged more.

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Our experience is opposite yours.

Well, you had better luck than we did! I don't know how the Apple monitors can be "SWOP certified" when the color is so inaccurate from one side of the screen to the other. There's no way I'd trust what I see on those monitors in regards to color. Calibration doesn't fix that, either.

BTW, Dell was/is using the same panels that Apple was using in their ACD displays at the time.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I believe that on some of the monitors, dell and apple used the same exact phillips panels, apple just charged more.

A good monitor is not defined by its panel alone.

Equally import are the following 1) Software Drivers, 2) Color Lookup Tables (LUT's), 3) Monitor Driver Hardware, (circuit board/chipset inside of monitor) 4) Integration of aforementioned with the operating system and its color management software (ie., Colorsync.)

These is plenty of information on the internet for one to learn about the importance of these aspects of a monitor.

Here a few starters:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/tforum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1700
**Karl Lang is a pioneer in monitor color science.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2950&p=9
**** I have sent you to the "calibrated results" page -- as you can see, monitors with the same panel often perform very differently based on above aspects I have mentioned. Just as the same motherboard in a PC will perform differently based on the associated video cards, ram, drives surrounding it.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00OpbC

There is so much more on this: Hope this helps one on one's journey towards monitor knowledge.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Well, you had better luck than we did! I don't know how the Apple monitors can be "SWOP certified" when the color is so inaccurate from one side of the screen to the other. There's no way I'd trust what I see on those monitors in regards to color. Calibration doesn't fix that, either.

BTW, Dell was/is using the same panels that Apple was using in their ACD displays at the time.

See previous post on meaninglessness of "Same Panels" being used.

Also, you many have had the older acd 23's (about 3 years ago, and back) regarding the inconsistent brightness? New ones do not exhibit this problem, in general.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'll believe it when I see it. Not the first rumor of a cinema display refresh at an Apple event.

forgetaboutpro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

twoodcc said:
well, i think a lot of people will love tho see new displays. lets hope the prices stay the same though

Let's hope they come down! They're outdated, under-equipped and overpriced!

Better late than never I guess ;)

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Amen!

I agree 100% with you.

Apple should not try to compete with Dell, etc.

They will lose the professional market.

I have shared similar thoughts to yours, regarding forked display lines, in the past here on MacRumors.

you're assuming they already have the professional market for panels. They don't. The majority of people who buy the <30 ACDs are those who shop at the Apple Store and like the matching style.

I've been in many different environments and it's a mix of CRT (still) and other brand LCD panels. The only times I see a 30 inch ACD being used are at video desks because at the time the Apple screen was the biggest and company purchasers just make their lives easier by going to an Apple sales rep for all their equipment.

Any decent hardware with good grayscale and uniformity can be calibrated effectively using pro devices. Comparing recent displays to the 4 year old ACDs is pointless unless you have actually used a competitors brand in the past year or two. The Karl Lang link you refer to is completely pointless. Sony aren't even in the monitor business now, that's how old that article is.

As anyone with a Macbook Pro can state, Apple do not bend over backwards to ensure the pro market get the best displays. When you advertise a panel at millions of colors you shouldn't be getting a dithered thousand color display or something with the uniformity of the sky during a rain shower.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Why is nobody crying for a built-in infrared sensor? Does nobody out there want to use the Apple Remote with his Mac Pro and Front Row AND a 30" inch Display?
For my part I'm missing the Remote very much since I've switched to a Pro from a 24" white iMac, that was just not up to heavy-duty work.

I'd also like to see a built-in iSight. Maybe it's possible to offer two versions of any display: With and without iSight, so that the no-second-camera-needed-whiners can get their iSight free display too.

In case they release a 30" inch LED display at a prohobitive price, I'm the first one to buy a used 30" inch and will hopefully be happy with it.

After all, let's be honest: Apple doesn't care about the displays because the big money is made elsewhere, namely the portables, the iPods and the iPhone.

They just need some for their own use, so that they don't have to look at an other manufacturer's logo in their headquarter and therefore don't bother with the price. I bet they will release some stunning, innovative pieces of art at unaffordable prices for most of us.

And by the way: Everybody who's denying the sheer beauty of the current ACDs is either blind or a complete moron.

Thanks for reading.

Well said. I completely agree that the only reason Apple will still make displays is because they would go crazy if they used a Dell display at MacWorld. I wrote up some possible configurations on my blog (below).

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
you're assuming they already have the professional market for panels. They don't. The majority of people who buy the <30 ACDs are those who shop at the Apple Store and like the matching style.

I disagree with you on this point: Apple certainly has a fair share of the pro LCD market in the 23" and 30" segments.

Any decent hardware with good grayscale and uniformity can be calibrated effectively using pro devices. Comparing recent displays to the 4 year old ACDs is pointless unless you have actually used a competitors brand in the past year or two. The Karl Lang link you refer to is completely pointless. Sony aren't even in the monitor business now, that's how old that article is.

How wrong you are on the calibration point. Way off, my friend, there is so much more to it than you understand -- I am happy you don't any color critical work for us!

You are correct that the Lang article is old -- and also incorrect if you inferred that I was using it to support ACD's -- I wasn't -- I was using it to make the case for the internals of a monitor -- like the LUT's and the data path between them, the monitor, the hardware video cards (internal and CPU) and both the OS and color management/calibration profiles. Like I said, these are knowledge starting points. It is up to you do your own work to learn.

But to dismiss the article completely betrays your attempt to portend knowledge. The hottest topics today in Monitors, Operating Systems and Color Management are 6, 8, 10, 12bit LUTs which the article clearly addresses. These topics directly relate to "Delta E" the deviation between colors which grows increasing important, and relevant by todays standards when using high gamut displays. Not less.

Liske

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
California
Does anyone know if there is anything bigger than the dell or apple 30" lcd?

Not plasma etc for TV - but bigger than 2560 x 1600 pixels in a true computer LCD format?

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
How wrong you are on the calibration point. Way off, my friend, there is so much more to it than you understand -- I am happy you don't any color critical work for us!

Well in that case I must I bow to your superior knowledge. Even though it's based on the assumption that you think you are the most experienced person on this forum without actually knowing the profession or the experience of those you are talking to. :rolleyes:

If you think Apple make the only color accurate monitors on the market then you need to go to more prepress departments and look at the units they use. The "pro" market is not defined as those who only want color accuracy for branding, product representation and color reference charts either. The pro market encompasses a huge range of computer users where color accuracy is not the most important factor.

I can tell you for a fact that the global company I work for which has specific video, photography, advertising, design, printing and marketing departments use a wide range of displays. I don't see anyone in the media or the board of directors complaining because their current promos don't match the spots. ADCs make up about 20% of those in use here I would estimate and that goes for other companies I've been in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.