Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
If you think Apple make the only color accurate monitors on the market then you need to go to more prepress departments and look at the units they use.

I NEVER said that.

I built two prepress and production departments for two major us book publishers and currently consult for US newspapers regarding color calibration. There is a "fair share" of Apple ACD's in these environments -- not "the only share."

The "pro" market is not defined as those who only want color accuracy for branding, product representation and color reference charts either. The pro market encompasses a huge range of computer users where color accuracy is not the most important factor.

Agree 100% with this and with you on this point.

ADCs make up about 20% of those in use here I would estimate and that goes for other companies I've been in.

Personally, I would call that a fair share of the Professional Market . . .

and the issue is?

Right now, I am testing a Flash App for Web Deployment on an HP LP3065 30" -- excellent monitor. I have an NEC next to it. I have an ACD 23 coming off my laptop for emails, FTP, etc. A nice mix.

Each monitor serves its own purpose.

I think we mostly agree: I am not looking for a fight, was merely trying to respond to earlier poster who assumed that "Same Panel ='s Same Monitor."

In my opinion, they don't.

Dante

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Nope because the impact of the transition would be on the firm's gross margins. It boils down the weighting of products sold across Apple's product line. The number of monitors sold is small relative to Macs. I think the transition has something to do with the price of Macs. I think we'll see a price reduction across the board for the entire Macintosh line.
Maybe we will finally get our elusive xMac. Offering a desktop (Mac Pro is a workstation) will affect the sales of the iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro, which will affect the current profit margin.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Some outdated ideas of LED pricing in that story.

Samsung's new A950 46'' LCD (end of august) is MSRP $3,199. Hardly cost prohibitive.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Mockup

(First picture: iPod nano-based. Second picture: I didn't bother to do a full mockup, so it's a screen size comparison.)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Maybe we will finally get our elusive xMac. Offering a desktop (Mac Pro is a workstation) will affect the sales of the iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro, which will affect the current profit margin.

It would be nice to fill the disparate gap of headless Macs between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. Mac mini = underpowered for many consumer's needs, Mac Pro = overkill for those same needs. Give me an Mac with the power and specs of the iMac (give or take) with extra expandability (HDD and GFX upgrade) and let me choose my display. :cool:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Or not.

Some of us do not want to take a hit in productivity which losing that size choice would be.

I guess there is always Dell and HP screens though.

One reason why I would be interested is the heat reduction. LED screens are cooler no? My screens give off so much heat you would think they sat out in the sun all day.

The Dell and HP models are the same as the ACDs. The cheaper models use the same panels, and cost about the same price, and the more expensive ones use the updated H-IPS which give that slightly better tech specs, but the color accuracy is the same.

Let's hope they're a lot lower. LCD prices have falllen dramatically since the ACD were last refreshed. A small premium, yes, but not the huge one that current ACDs carry.

Not when compared to comparable models. The ACDs are actually priced quite nicely.

Agreed. No built in iSight, please.

+10 Agreed. No need for two iSight cameras in PRO displays. For the consumers, sure, but go buy a Dell or HP.

There better be an iSight embedded into the display as well.

I hope not.

I got my 24" LG L246WP, which is a P-MVA panel, for $350. Compare that to the 23" S-IPS 'Cinema' display for $900.

Definitely NOT worth the ridiculous price for the apple LCDs.

It is worth the price when you know about the technology. IPS is still the only way to go for spot on professional color. For the average consumer, anything else will work and they shouldn't even be looking at ACDs or IPS displays unless they just want to spend money.

I am hoping for more USB and FW800 ports on the case, we can skip iSight and leave those to cheaper panels made by other companies.

BigD58

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
North Carolina
:eek: Sweet news! I have ben waiting for this update for forever! I just hope they have built in iSight and are 1080! New Cinema Display + Mac Pro = Here I Come!

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Color Management and the Monitor

Here is a good link to a Color Workflow Diagram which, upon study, may reveal that there is more to getting good color from a monitor than merely evaluating its panel type. Again, monitors with the same panel DO NOT necessarily mean the same color output, brightness, stability, etc. A lot of other factors in the Monitor may be involved.

http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2A.html

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
They are not going to eliminate the 30" lol. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger one. All they would need to do is make a 20" and 24" LED and wait a little longer for the 30" or larger till it is economically feasible. It's that simple!

I have been waiting for this update for SOOOOO LONG! I am hoping to see slightly thinner, aluminum with some hints of black, better resolutions, LED on 20" and 24", built in iSight and remote sensor PLEASE, HDMI, and that's about it.

Sign me up for two of those in 30" or bigger if they make one! :D Oh, and that's per work station, of which I will have 4 so make it 8 and 4 of the up coming Mac Pros decked out! :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
And by the way: Everybody who's denying the sheer beauty of the current ACDs is either blind or a complete moron.

Thanks for reading.

I take it you're unfamiliar with the phrase " beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

That's a nice touch calling people blind or morons who don't possess your aesthetic superiority. :rolleyes:

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I have a felling they may look a bit like the imac only thinner (no computer)

B3CK24

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
The West Coast
I'm still buying the current one soon... I love the way the case design is and the specs are more than adequate for my Graphic Design and Photography work.

Honestly, what will LED do for color accuracy or quality? Which are my main concerns.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
I'm Definitely waiting now

I'm glad I didn't buy the current one's, I was planning to purchase the 30-inch Cinema Display with money I saved up $2655 sense January which is more than enough to buy the current 30-Inch Cinema Display but i'm going to wait it out to see how the new Cinema Display are going to look like and maybe the the current Cinema Displays may go to down some more closer to MacWorld 09. I hope they will come out with something larger then a 30-inch that will be cool I guess I just keep putting money away until MacWorld.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
LED. Woo Hoo!
No iSight
Add ports (HDMI, Display Port)

Hopefully Apple won't get too crazy with pricing. ;)

rph105

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
YESS APPLE, even before macworld would be nice though. I need to replace my dual ACD's very soon, I guess I could wait out till Jan.

Does this mean new Mac Pro's maybe a re-design to sit fit with the new cinema displays, I need a new mac aswell apple I've been running on this G5 since 05, time to upgrade to intel baby!

Add:

- HDMI
- Less Heat Produced
- 1080p HD
- Thinner

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Yeh, it's gross. Why would anyone ever use an iPhone? You have to touch it and stuff. Then it gets fingerprints. And door handles are totally useless as well. Who would use one? Flush with your feet, right?

Would help if you read the rest of my quote.....

For something like a phone it makes perfect sense because;

a) you're not staring at it for hours on end and
b) because you can wipe it off completely in a few seconds.

You CAN NOT do that with a display. Unless you're surfing forums all day long making comments and a dirty screen makes no difference to you... sure, your choice, but if you're WORKING on the computer with anything that requires perfect colors, any dust, dirt, fingerprints etc, its all hell.

Oh yeah and your comment about door handles and flushing... come on... seriously? If that was meant to be a joke you failed horribly and ended up making yourself sound like an ass...

There cinema displays and macpro deff need a redesign

sigh... I miss the G4 days... shiny puffy plastic... so pretty :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.