Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I would buy this in a heartbeat and would really like it if it also came in a white face plate and interchangeable wrist bands. NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!:)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I really like the second one, but it just needs one thing - a click wheel like the old iPod's. It could just be integrated into the design like the watches that have a rotating dial to set a timer, but in this case it would be used to scroll through menu options. In addition to a screen touch, and pressing on the left/right/top/bottom of the dial.

k3ith

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
I remember the old iphone prototypes before the iPhone came out, and then when it came out, it looked nothing like anyone ever thought it would. So, I think with the iwatch it's going to be exactly the same. We're all thinking about one thin idea of what this thing is going to look like, but I think it's probably going to look nothing like anything any of us could ever imagine. It's only after the fact and after we see this thing that we'll realize how obvious the iwatch's form should be. That's the genius of Apple.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
if watches are so cool why aren't you currently wearing one lol. I will not subscribe to this idea unless they do something that my phone does not. And my heart rate does not count.

tomasdi

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
That's the problem with these slick mockups via software. It's easy to design something good looking when you don't have to think about the actual engineering to bring it to market.

I completely agree about the engineering´s subject. I tried (and just tried) to give it some "realism" to the concept, taking some general technology aspects from another similar and previous devices like shine, fitbit, nike fuelband, peeble, etc. Obviously, i don´t have enough engineering´s knowledge but i kept in mind all these antecesors and the technologies they used!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
All these concepts need a solar element as a battery extender.

My casio pathfinder can go 6 months with no sun after a full solar charge. A smart watch would have a hard time with that, but there is no reason we can't get more than a few days or even weeks on a single charge.

or a movement battery. not sure what they are called but think a few brands use them...Tag Heuer (think i misspelled that)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Best iWatch design so far. This design is something that normal people (not geeks) actually would buy.

Those concepts are really, really nice... surprised to see a round display, that would be pretty awesome.

More surprising that nobody came up with this ingenious idea before.

I'm curious how they solve one big issue. When I look at my traditional watch, its just turn my wrist, and 'ta-da', there's the time.
Every other 'smart watch' from the Nano on a band to the Samsung abomination require you to turn it on.
Its silly that that one extra step would seem so important, but everyone I know who's used such devices hate that.
It can't require turning it on every time you want to look at it.

I'll have to try again when I don't think about it, but I think there is always some rapid movement when I look at my watch, so it might be possible to detect this. The other possibility is not using LCD but the same technology as the old Kindles, where no energy is used as long as the image doesn't change. I don't know how that works displaying seconds, when only a tiny area of the screen would change.

Last edited:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Hopefully the iWatch will have a timeless design. Unfortunately, technology becomes outdated quickly, so what are the odds I could pass my iWatch on to one of my kids in 30 years?

I like my watches old-school, powered by springs and gears. But I'd definitely wear an iWatch if they do it right. Or at all.

Timeless design is certainly necessary to secure sales in key spending demographics.

Sure you won't be able to pass the watch onto your kids but then again, its not like you are dropping $15k on a Panerai.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Imagine a smart watch that looks like a...... watch. Wow! Samsung and Pebble, how come you didn't think of this? I would certainly be more app (ooh a pun that I did not intend but just noticed :D) to purchasing and wearing this over any other design I have seen. However, this isn't Apple, so we shall see what they actually do.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
God no! That is not only like steps backward, but back to the beginning. That concept has fail written all over it. Nicer Pebble Steel? Who the **** wants that useless piece of crap? A modern health and fitness wrist computer is where they are heading and not back to some fn skeuomorphic 19th century device.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Stop posting renderings, Apple won't hire you, sorry

Let me think. Is your name Tim Cook? No. Is your name Jony Ives? No. Your name is "olivers". I don't think you have any say in who Apple hires and who they don't hire. And what this man did is indeed a very fine design. Maybe right now Samsung wishes they had hired him.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I don't see myself in this iWatch mix...

The great thing about watches (and I do love them) is that they are personal. You buy what you like (ascetically) as well as functional.

Wearing a watch that everyone else has is not my desire.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
How about always on sensors that detects the flip of the wrist and turns it on instantly? Could be powered by really low voltage dedicated coprocessor.

Also, to maximize battery it could turn the display off instantly when you flip the wrist in the other direction after you finished using the "iWatch". That would be pretty neat imho.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Your decision has no weight... you're not Apple

Come on they're only stretching their own imaginations as designers. They're as interested as next Apple aficionado I think the designs look great and besides the vibration alert does make sense.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Just out of curiousity, if there are no holes for speakers wouldn't there still need to be some sort of opening for a Siri microphone? Given that the iWatch (mockup or official) will likely have a small screen, Siri seems like it will play an integral part interacting with the watch.

That made me pause for a moment and think about whether I want to talk to my watch, and how society might look with others around me speaking into theirs, too.

I'm comfortable speaking into my phone and headsets (ear buds, etc.) and the social etiquette that helps us get along with each other while doing it. But I prefer my watch to be a silent partner. The more I think about it, the more strongly I believe that voice interaction with a wrist-top device would be a disruptive nuisance. Besides increasing the level of ambient chatter, it would give rise to a new set of arm motions ("wristies"!) as people try to isolate/enhance the conversation with their watch, especially in environments that are already noticeably noisy or quiet.

Will be interesting to see what scheme Apple actually comes out with for interacting with the device. If not Siri, then perhaps bluetooth or wifi connection to an app that offers all of the "knobs and buttons" necessary to set the device and customize its behavior.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
C'mon MR. There is a bright one between fantasy and rumor. Who cares what non apple employees dream up.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just out of curiousity, if there are no holes for speakers wouldn't there still need to be some sort of opening for a Siri microphone? Given that the iWatch (mockup or official) will likely have a small screen, Siri seems like it will play an integral part interacting with the watch. Also, how would this submergable disk be charged? This mockup seems to be lacking some details...

"Waterproof" and "submergible" are not the same thing. "Waterproof" meaning you don't have to be paranoid about washing your hands or going out in the rain is essential, but "submergible" like going into the ocean isn't.

I wonder if sapphire crystal would be capable of transmitting sound into the inside of the watch, with an advantage coming from a rather large area. Charging: If top and bottom half are separated by non-conductive material, voltage for charging could be applied directly to the top and bottom half.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It looks fine, but I think it's missing a killer app right now.

The original iPhone had Safari as a killer app - there wasn't any other phone that was able to browser the web as effortlessly as the iPhone could with Safari.

Macs have iLife as their killer app - most PCs have nothing like it out of the box, and those that have anything are really halfassed.

iPad... I'm not sure what it had. I guess it had the app store?

People keep talking about the iWatch having health sensors and stuff like that, but that really doesn't sound like a killer app to me. It sounds too boring to be a killer app.

Maybe if you can use it as a payment method... or if it becomes the most amazing mapping solution ever (for navigating cities you're unfamiliar with by foot or bike), that could work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.