Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I like the reputation system slickdeals uses. Give points to useful posts (that the user then accumulates) - allows people to realize who the better posters are, as having a high post count can be worthless.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't see the ability to vote down posts ending well. I think that a "Thanks" system would be much, much better.

So same system but without the down vote button at all?

arn

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
So same system but without the down vote button at all?

arn

Yes, I think that would be better as well if we're going to have ratings.

I think a purely numerical system will just encourage all of the negative aspects of the ratings system.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree. And there should be some kind of count of "thanks" for each member. And it can give us different "levels" based on our thankfulness. Kind of like how we achieve different statices based on our post count.

"Thanks" might work in a pure support form. But for news discussion, it makes little sense.

arn

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
"Thanks" might work in a pure support form. But for news discussion, it makes little sense.

arn

Perhaps a "Relevant" button then.

I guess leaving it as a +1 button is pretty much the same thing without using a word.

*shrug*

I just think it may be more troublesome than helpful to have a -1 button. If someone disagrees with a post, they usually respond with an argument. If they agree, unless they have something to add, hitting the +1 button would work, and it would clear up the "Agreed" and "+1" posts.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Perhaps a "Relevant" button then.

I guess leaving it as a +1 button is pretty much the same thing without using a word.

*shrug*

I just think it may be more troublesome than helpful to have a -1 button. If someone disagrees with a post, they usually respond with an argument. If they agree, unless they have something to add, hitting the +1 button would work, and it would clear up the "Agreed" and "+1" posts.

Well, some places limit the ability to downvote for higher level accounts. Like those who have been around or gained a certain amount of reputation. While others have no downvote ability at all.

arn

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, some places limit the ability to downvote for higher level accounts. Like those who have been around or gained a certain amount of reputation. While others have no downvote ability at all.

arn

I suppose that might work better than allowing anyone and everyone the ability to downvote.

I still don't think that downvoting is necessary. But I suppose there isn't harm in trying it out to see how it works.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Is this going to be used ultimately to rate posters (kind of like the Apple site for one example)?

How is abuse of this going to be addressed?

If all it’s used for is the post itself, I don’t see any value for this.

What are MR’s (Arn’s and the other Gods) thoughts on what they want to do with this?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Is this going to be used ultimately to rate posters (kind of like the Apple site for one example)?

How is abuse of this going to be addressed?

If all it’s used for is the post itself, I don’t see any value for this.

What are MR’s (Arn’s and the other Gods) thoughts on what they want to do with this?

If it was more of a "thanks" system, I envision that it could show which members have thanked the post and could also show in the user info how many thanks the member has received total.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Essentially just like Facebook's "Like" feature, then? People seem to like it on Facebook; would it be useful here?

But then people on Facebook just complain about how there's no Dislike button. I think it'd be interesting to see how the current state works, rather than tweak it from speculation on how things might turn out.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I like this change. Hopefully it'll put an end to replies that consist of nothing but "+1".

Awaits someone to quote my post with the reply "+1". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.