Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The cases always spoil the surprise...

Back when I was 10 or so I was desperate for a Gameboy. I had no idea I was getting one until I opened a case for one on Christmas :rolleyes:. So I guess that's true.

Whichever flash player goes beyond 32gb gets my money come next week. I really could do with a new one now and all the planets are aligned. Just hope they release a 64gb touch with a camera (I have an DSLR but boy howdy it's too big to carry around on a whim).

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
China always seems to get their stuff leaked.

Same thing happened last year. I would like to be surprised one of these years...guess i should avoid this site then huh...naw, bring on the spoilers.:D

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
you know what I mean. I didn't know how to describe it, what I was trying to get at is they'd have some really screwed up resolution. lol

1. What is "ISO blur"? Did you just make up your own term? ISO refers to film speed and has absolutely nothing to do with whether an image is sharp or blurry.

2. The image has absolutely no blur whatsoever. It's clear that the "iPod touch/3rd generation" font is a heavier, more narrow style of the "iPod touch/2nd generation" font.

When you have ISO Set higher on a camera, it tends to blur the picture slightly. It looks blurry to me on the right handside where it gets darker compared to the left handside.

LOL to these. This is what I hate about the explosive popularity of digital photography -- people trying to explain stuff who don't know anything about photography.

A square lens isn't going to effect the resolution of the photo, the image sensor in the camera is what determines the resolution/shape of the image. But the way the lens focuses the scene onto the small image sensor makes a round lens better for this. They could probably make a square lens that did this correctly too, but it would be harder and more expensive to manufacture than a round lens, and nobody cares about the shape of the lens to begin with.

ISO = film speed = sensitivity of the film to light. The term still works in the digital world with the reaction time of the image sensor. ISO blur would be more accurately described as Motion Blur. The ISO speed is too low on the camera so the sensor requires the scene to sit still longer to take the exposure. This "sitting still" isn't talking about the subject themselves, it's referring to the entire scene. So whether its a person in the picture moving too much or the photographer's hand shaking the result is the same -- a blurry subject.

Remember when you were still using film and you knew you needed a high speed film (ISO 400-800) to take picture in low-light situations (like birthday-cake blowing-out)? The speed of your film had nothing to do with you ability to take photos in low light situations, that was just the marketing dept of Kodak trying to help you deal with this stuff. The real reason you needed a higher speed film is you wanted to take a photo in low light and have things be sharp or at least recognizable. So you needed to use a film with a high enough light sensitivity to take a shot with a short enough exposure time to avoid motion blur either in your subject or from you holding the camera with your hands. If everyone had been frozen like statues and you'd had the camera sitting on a tripod, you could have used ISO 50 film at that birthday party and gotten a picture lit up like daytime if you'd wanted.

Another reason is many people had cheap point-n-shoot cameras. These cameras had a fixed shutter speed. So no matter what kind of film you have they took the photo in 1/125 sec or whatever. How did the camera prevent overexposure/underexposure? It didn't! The dynamic range of film still allowed all the detail to be captured because it wasn't possible to print a photo that showed everything the film had picked up, so the processing center would adjust their printing for the exposure level your film had. Go look at a bunch of your negatives from different rolls of film. The higher speed rolls will be darker overall than the lower speed rolls even when taking pictures of the same types of scenes. This is what that "brightness/contrast" adjustment was you used to hear about in commercials for Kodak Processing, the printer making up for your cheap-ass camera or your lack in ability to set proper exposure for your film. This is also why it's so hard to get a decent night picture with commercial processing (because their machine assumes a "dark" photo is underexposed, not that it really was a dark scene you were shooting).

The "blurriness" you see in high ISO photos is due to the quality of the image sensor. It's noise introduced by the sensor and the camera itself, not blur! Look up photos taken with a real expensive Digital SLR and a nice lens. I've seen good photos taken at ISO 6400 with no noise. Noise is also caused by the resolution of your pictures and current image sensor technology. Right now, manufactures are packing more and more pixels onto the same size image sensors in more consumer digital cameras. This is wrong! It's causing photos that are extra noisy when taken it higher ISO settings, whereas if they kept the resolution the same as last years models, they could instead have a camera that took better low-light photos and supported higher ISOs overall. The resolution of cameras is already way higher than your average consumer will ever need. 2 megapixels is a fine resolution for your average 4x6" print size. Maybe go to 6 or 8 for a super high quality 10x13".

Digital camera manufacturers continue to make cameras with higher and higher resolutions because lots of consumers measure how "good" a camera is my the number of megapixels it takes (regardless of if they need them or not) and the size of the screen on the back. Instead of how well it takes photos at ______ ISO setting and how easy it is to navigate the menus, etc. This is exactly the same thing as "megahertz myth" in personal computer processors we all remember from the G4 days. The pushing of a metric that doesn't give a complete picture of the abilities of a product by manufactures to exploit what consumers mistakenly thinks they should be looking at.

The reason most mobile phones take bad pictures is the sensors are low quality, the reason they take noisy photos is technology for sensors that small is just now reaching levels were it can take photos at a decent resolution and quality at the same time (the pixel packing thing, phone cams have tiny sensors). The reason they take blurry photos is the lenses are low quality plastic ones generally. They also get dirty and scratched easily because they are completely exposed to what's in the owners pocket quite often. But manufactures don't add lens caps (generally, there are a couple) is because it would add to the device's thickness and they would rather you have a reason to replace your phone in a year or two anyway.

To address the last point, the "darkness and blurriness" on the edge of some cell phone pics is the camera taking a picture of the edges of it's own lens hole. Lenses are recessed in camera cases to try and protect them from scratches, but this also means it's more possible to have the corners of camera's view obstructed by the case edge. It's like when you stack too many filters onto the end of a SLR's lens or use a wide angle lens with a lens hood.

Staphyl

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Is it just me or is this a load of BS?

Im pretty certain we're getting cams, but seriously how do they make a case that fits both the 1st and 2nd gen ipod touches? They're completely different designs. The 3rd one will probably be redesigned as well... seems fishy that's all.

Edit: Ok so i misread and thought the cases were for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen. Reread and its only for 2nd and 3rd gen, (tho it still seems stupid to put this case on your 2nd gen cuz you'll get a nice square of scratches on it for no reason. Makes no sense to market it to 2nd Gen users.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
A bunch of people are going to be very upset when they reveal they haven't added a camera on the nano.

:)
I wouldn't say there's absolutely no chance of this case being a 'false lead' and personally don't mind either way but I see it as pretty damn striking evidence (and there's actually been more).

This reminds me: I bet the real Snow Leopard package is still coming, since that weird white one without a giant X on the front was clearly a ridiculous fake. It'll probably come at the same time as the release of the actual GM build that will ship in a completely bug-free form not like that horrid rumored GM build with all the faults that Apple wouldn't ever dare to ship.

(I'm posting this in good fun, no offense...)

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
LOL to these. This is what I hate about the explosive popularity of digital photography -- people trying to explain stuff who don't know anything about photography.

>snipped a large book<

Of course, you could have made this really, really long winded point without sounding stuck up.

markredf150

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Anyone else find it odd that the "iPod Touch - 3rd generation" is written in a different font than the font the the left of it that says "iPod Touch - 2nd generation"? Seems like one of these things that would be consistent on the packaging.

And the fact that it doesn't have any capacities for this assumed 3rd gen Touch keeps people wondering. I guess we'll see on Wednesday...

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'm still kind of wondering what will be the big draw of the next generation Touch. The previous 2G update was lackluster (volume buttons and cheap speakers? That's it?), and 2 lackluster updates in a row surely isn't a good trend for Apple to make. I was so disappointed with the 2G update, I held off getting a Touch for this past year (I already have a Nano). I'm for sure getting a 3G Touch, but this update has got to have something GOOD. A camera (everything has a camera these days, and for cheap), a faster processor, and a capacity increase aren't revolutionary, or big drivers of sales. GPS might do the trick, or something else. But the Touch is rapidly growing in market share, while at the same time the Zune HD is practically identical to the expected Touch 3G update. Yeah, Apple has the superior OS and the app store, but a differentiating hardware feature seems to me to be needed.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
The iPod designs are getting stale to me, especially the Nano models. Looking back I actually find the 3rd gen Nano to be the nicest as it is the most compact.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
:mad::eek::confused::apple:no!!!!!!!!no!!!!!!no!!!!! I don't want this for my new college semester, mama help me out!!!! Bono ,Jesus , Steve, Bill, help me out!!!!!!!! At least WiFi, 16G, 32h battery life, and 33% price down for 9th September:eek:

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
To all those wondering why the nano would have a camera but no internet connection... look beyond the device. Look at the big chunk of software sitting on the other end of the USB cable called iTunes. Look at the VERY strong rumours that it's getting social network integration built in. Suddenly this makes a LOT of sense. Take a pic or ten, review on the device, delete those you don't want and sync. Your pictures magically transfer from device to your facebook page without any user effort whatsoever.

And yes, I know that us tech-savvy lot would scoff at that idea but if there's one thing Apple's proved with the iPhone line it's that regular users WILL do geeky things just so long as they don't realise they're doing them :D Take a look at the explosion of iPhone pics on Flickr after the 3GS came along for example. Why don't more people use the cameras on their phones? Because it's too much of a faff to get the pics from phone to somewhere it can be viewed by others. Note, not complicated, just... awkward. The great trick Apple have mastered over the last few years is making these processes less kludgy for the regular user and they may just be getting ready to do it again.

alexknibb

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Okay, am I the only one who doesn't particularly want a camera in their iPod?

I just don't get it. :confused: Seriously, how many people don't have a camera in their phone already (iPhone or otherwise)? You can get camera phones, admittedly not very good ones, for £20 these days on PAYG, so why would anyone need one in their iPod? The way I see it is this, most people who want music on the go carry around one of the following combinations:

1. An iPhone
2. An iPhone & an iPod
3. A regular cameraphone & an iPod
4. Just a regular cameraphone (with mp3 functionality, which again most phones have)

...Or any of the above plus a digital camera.

So why on earth would anyone need a camera on an iPod? Most people already have a basic camera in one of their gadgets for snapping on the go, or carry around a dedicated camera for proper photography. I know it's nice to have extra functionality, but I'd much rather have something useful like a higher capacity or a bigger battery (or even just cheaper would be fine) rather than something which is a 'nice-to-have'.

I'm not having a go at those who are excited about a camera in an iPod, but I genuinely don't get it... Can anyone fill me in? :)

EDIT: I just read smiddlehurst's comment above, and it sounds like an interesting point. I still don't really get it, though. Sounds like a lot of duplication across devices to me. Maybe I'm just not the prime demographic any more? :D

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Trouble is, higher capacity or a bigger battery are either limited by the available tech or by the cost of the components. I think the key, and it's a trick I'm still stunned no-one else is managing, is to take existing technology and streamline it so it's both easy and FUN to use. That last bit especially is what everyone seems to miss out on... I've got a DSLR and use iPhoto as my pciture management and upload tool for facebook but it's not a process that my parents, for example, would find particularly fun to use.

Let me twist it around a bit. The iPhone introduced a whole new interface for mobiles for the first time in years. It wasn't the most flexible, it didn't even have apps for the first year, but it was a revalation because for the first time it made the tools that had been in mobiles for years accessible to everyone. Mobile Internet was the first obvious example, then the introduction of apps and the app store and with the 3GS they've done it with video and photos too. Sure, we geeks might scoff but for the average customer this is actually way overdue. I have no idea what Apple have up their sleve but if they're planning on introducing cameras to the iPod range I'd bet pounds to doughnuts that they've got a software solution to go with it. Might not WORK of course but they'll have a go at least :D

Oh and one more thought... forget you're a geek for a moment. Ignore all you know about technology and put yourself in the shoes of an average user. Now imagine Apple introducing and pushing geotagged pics wth the iPod Touch next week.... that'd be quite an impressive headline act for them.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Apple buys a lot of cameras, the cost goes down they put them in iPhones and then in iPods.

The camera idea is a good choice especially for the Touch. All the camera apps can now be sold to Touch users and thus the developers make some money and Apple makes some money.
Apple also wants people to see and get used to Geotagging their photos and putting them in iPhoto. There's nearly no pocket sized camera in a DI area of a local store that can do that. Apple could get people to really love this feature and push it into the masses. I personally love my geotagged photos. :D

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
I dont get it the camera is on the other side I'm guessing ones for iphone I assume.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Okay, am I the only one who doesn't particularly want a camera in their iPod?

I just don't get it. :confused: Seriously, how many people don't have a camera in their phone already (iPhone or otherwise)? You can get camera phones, admittedly not very good ones, for £20 these days on PAYG, so why would anyone need one in their iPod? The way I see it is this, most people who want music on the go carry around one of the following combinations:

1. An iPhone
2. An iPhone & an iPod
3. A regular cameraphone & an iPod
4. Just a regular cameraphone (with mp3 functionality, which again most phones have)

...Or any of the above plus a digital camera.

So why on earth would anyone need a camera on an iPod? Most people already have a basic camera in one of their gadgets for snapping on the go, or carry around a dedicated camera for proper photography. I know it's nice to have extra functionality, but I'd much rather have something useful like a higher capacity or a bigger battery (or even just cheaper would be fine) rather than something which is a 'nice-to-have'.

I'm not having a go at those who are excited about a camera in an iPod, but I genuinely don't get it... Can anyone fill me in? :)

EDIT: I just read smiddlehurst's comment above, and it sounds like an interesting point. I still don't really get it, though. Sounds like a lot of duplication across devices to me. Maybe I'm just not the prime demographic any more? :D

It's all about the App store and being able to make more apps available to a wider user base (augmented reality being a huge one for the future, photo apps). Again, I think it mostly comes down to the software being available to more users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.