Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaAnt

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
MD, USA
However, it should be noted that none of the free trials is running on startup or running in the background--which is what REALLY irks me about new Windows PC's.

I never had a problem with trial software on PCs. Not an argument for them, however, as I always had the restore disk in there as soon as they got out of the box, and they would get a fresh OS install. If the worst thing on my MBP is office suite trials that I can delete very easily, then that's fine by me.

Performa

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
I guess you meant "trial software"?

I was trying to figure out what "trail software" is. I was doing Google searches.....thinking it had to have something to do with cowboys or hiking.

Apple has released a new "Get A Mac" ad named Stuffed. In the ad, PC appears bloated and explains how he is stuffed with a bunch of trail software that he doesn't need and how it is slowing him down.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
[HOMER]It's funny 'cause it's true[/HOMER]

Great ad. Also, with TiVO and DVRs, they need to make commercials that are visually appealing/interesting/surprising, so that real people (not us macrumors nerds) will watch them. Good show.

findpankaj

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
Poor PC

Its not a PC's fault.
Another cheap piece of thinking by Apple.
I am sick of these ads.

hooty

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
sorry if this is old

and I have never been accused of being sharp, but how long has Apple been using the domain "movies.apple.com?" That is where the link went to to show the new commercial.....

hooty

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The point is that the trial soft that comes with macs are very easy to delete... the same can't be said for Pc's

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
This is so true! I just bought a Lenovo laptop with Vista and configured it at the request of a friend of mine and I thought I needed a machete to hack through all the stuff in my way. It was amazingly annoying.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The point is that the trial soft that comes with macs are very easy to delete... the same can't be said for Pc's

If you remove application package on the mac - including full and trail ( sic ) software, you still won't remove the crap from /Library/Application support, the preferences etc. You often have to do that manually.

Whats hard in windows about going to Install / Uninstall in control panel and removing the trial software from there? Granted, on windows you sometimes still get DLLs left behind because its not known whether those are shared with other applications. There's no reference counter.

OSX needs a good application manager to remove an application in full - not just the App from the /application/ directory. Hell, even my P900 and E70 phones add a remove application function!!

Most Trail ( sic ) software on any OS is annoying and useless.

Good advert though! :)

ErnieFrance4

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2004
Even if macs so come with some unwanted software I have never had any problem deleting it. With windows I feel that i am lost forever.

rishey

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
Douchiness

The PC guy is, as someone mentioined above, a funny character.
The Mac guy, on the other hand, is an annoying douchebag that makes me want to send my Macs back to Shaghai. He does, however, properly represent Apple's hubris of late.

Richard Bluestein
http://insanefilms.com
http://yeastradio.com

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I like these ads. I have come to really enjoy the PC figure and feel sorry for him. The Mac figure is almost invisible in the ads. The focus is on hearing what the PC guy has to say each new episode and what is being done to him.

Sometimes, like in this one it isn't MS creating the pain. Apple doesn't just pick on one company in particular. Adds to the brilliance of the campaign.

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
Ding ding ding!

Whats hard in windows about going to Install / Uninstall in control panel and removing the trial software from there?
Um, the horrible registry with HIDDEN ITEMS? I can't believe you are even comparing application removal between mac and pc, it is 1000x superior on mac (or linux).

3D-Troll

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
I don't care for the spot much. While I feel that Dell has been getting better regarding the installation of unwanted software, every machine I buy for the lab still gets a complete makeover. But for me iLife is unwanted software, too. Still have not used any of those programs. And if I need the space they go.

Steffen

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
They should have focused on the difficultly of removing programs instead of the number of programs or the fact that there are trial programs as that would be more differentiating between mac and pc.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I really like it..when I saw it, I immediately thought to myself 'how true'. I have just switched another friend (now on a grand total of 5!) and showed them the ad. They loved it and said it was one of the reasons he came to the 'Light Side'

:)

eightd

macrumors newbie
I don't care for the spot much. While I feel that Dell has been getting better regarding the installation of unwanted software, every machine I buy for the lab still gets a complete makeover. But for me iLife is unwanted software, too.

dont get confused between unwanted software and trial software. hopefully you know the difference.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
- Omni stuff trail

I thought the Omni Group products were full versions of the "basic" software, or at least they used to be. Are they just demo versions now?

With respect to MS Office Trial, I can understand why it is there but I don't like it for 2 reasons:

1. It's obviously an attempt to get you hooked on the software and MS Office isn't cheap so that may come as a shock

2. You need to know to uninstall the trial version in order to guarantee that you won't have problems with the full version and to avoid ending up with 2 versions of Office on your Mac.

I'm not too bothered about the iWork demo since it's pretty cheap beyond thinking that it should come with the Mac for free anyway. Doubtless, however, that would annoy Microsoft and they'd then take their ball (i.e. Office) home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.