Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month Apple unveiled a redesigned iPad Air with slimmer bezels that it said would become available in October, but it didn't give an exact date for when it would start taking orders. With October now upon us, there are indications that the new iPad Air could launch imminently, rather than later on in the month.

ipad-air-4-colors.jpg

According to a tweet late on Wednesday from well-connected Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman, "Apple marketing materials for the new iPad Air are starting to land at retail stores, suggesting a launch sooner rather than later."

The new iPad Air is the first Apple device with Touch ID built into the power button. That has allowed Apple to add a fully laminated 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display with True Tone, P3 wide color support, and an anti-reflective coating.

It's also the first time Apple has debuted a new AXX-series chip in an iPad before an iPhone. The new iPad Air is powered by the new 5nm-based, six-core A14 Bionic chip for up to 40 percent faster performance and up to 30 percent faster graphics than the previous-generation iPad Air. It's the same chip expected to be used for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models, which are expected to be announced this month.

Apple's iPad Air is also the first iPad to offer unique color options similar to iPhone colors. The iPad Air is available in silver, space gray, rose gold, green, and sky blue.

Like the iPad Pro, the new iPad Air features a USB-C port instead of a Lightning connector, and similarly features a 12-megapixel rear camera for higher-resolution photos and 4K video recording.

The new iPad Air will be available on Apple.com and the Apple Store app in 30 countries and regions when it launches. Wi-Fi models will start at $599, while cellular models will start at $729, with 64GB and 256GB storage capacities available.

Article Link: New iPad Air Marketing Materials Hit Retail Stores, Suggesting Imminent Launch

Reactions: dspdoc

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I bought my Air only in July, fully knowing I was going to feel buyers remorse if a new Air launched in Sept. Thankfully, they increased the price by a 100 bucks, giving features that didn't really matter to me - leaving me a lot happier :)

Reactions: mr_jomo

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
They missed me as an instant buyer by not releasing it right away. Now I had time to think about it and came to the conclusion that I don’t actually need it (I have an old iPad Air 2 for the bedroom and the iPad Pro 10.5 for the living room but at that moment of the presentation I was like NEW COLORS I NEED THE BLUE!) unlike the Apple Watch Series 6, which I bought even though I owned the 5th cuz it was available almost instantly ?

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I am curious to know how good the power button finger print sensor is. I know a lot of people think this as a good solution, especially if it were to come on a full screen SE. IMO, a back sensor on a phone is a lot more ergonomic than on power button

bernoulli

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
England
I am curious to know how good the power button finger print sensor is. I know a lot of people think this as a good solution, especially if it were to come on a full screen SE. IMO, a back sensor on a phone is a lot more ergonomic than on power button

you know what most people are going to do with most of their iDevices? Slap a thick case on it. Not sure how well the touch id on power button is going to work with a case

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I think it's quite possible it will be launched today or tomorrow. Somebody in different thread mentioned, that if you are just an average customer that is looking to buy a new iPad, it would not make sense to see "Coming in October" when already is October, which is true. If they plan to launch it in late October, it would probably be "late October". So I guess this week, or max. next week.

hunapu

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2019
They missed me as an instant buyer by not releasing it right away. Now I had time to think about it and came to the conclusion that I don’t actually need it (I have an old iPad Air 2 for the bedroom and the iPad Pro 10.5 for the living room but at that moment of the presentation I was like NEW COLORS I NEED THE BLUE!) unlike the Apple Watch Series 6, which I bought even though I owned the 5th cuz it was available almost instantly ?

If you took it with you, you would also have an iPad Pro in the bedroom

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.