Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I just can't get excited for this at all.

I agree with others that the ergonomics of Touch ID on the power button don't sound good at all. I would have liked to have seen an in-screen sensor, but I guess they had their reasons (which probably included not making the device too attractive over the Pro).

Also, the price isn't that much cheaper than the Pro. Surely if you're already spending that much on a tablet you could cough up the difference for an all-round better device.

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
Just don’t understand why someone would pick this up over a second hand iPad Pro 11 for roughly the same cost. Fast refresh > A14
Seriously you don’t see why? It is because a lot of people (including myself) love that the shiny new gadget that they have bought is totally brand new and unused.....To me, the slight cost difference for the brand new air is much more appealing than a slightly cheaper second hand pro.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
It would be the first time the new A series chip is available on an iPad instead of the iPhone if the Air is released before the iPhone.
[automerge]1601556648[/automerge]
Did anyone know if the 2020 air supports a 120 Hz display?

it does not. Only the Pro does.

Reactions: CosminM

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Only worth buying if you get the 256GB storage option (64GB just isn’t enough IMO) and at £729 ($749), I still think your better off with an 11 inch pro 128GB option for an extra £40 ($50), or a second hand 2018/2020 one at a cheaper price.

This will give you a decent amount of storage as well as better speakers, screen, microphones, Face ID, cameras etc...

Granted your getting the A14 in the Air, but for marginal single core performance vs the A12Z (which is most likely the only benefit of the Air) it’s a no brainer to get the pro at this point.

Reactions: CosminM and Mogfrog

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Had they not have put the A14 in the Air, I think this would have flopped massively in favour of the Pro... the only thing that’s really swaying potential buyers is the A14, which I find crazy as most won’t even be able to tell the difference.

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Had they not have put the A14 in the Air, I think this would have flopped massively in favour of the Pro... the only thing that’s really swaying potential buyers is the A14, which I find crazy as most won’t even be able to tell the difference.

Unless they're updating the Pro immediately to add TouchID and A14X (unlikely), it's going to be a very confusing choice for customers between the Air and Pro. Not a good place to be as an iPad buyer.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I have the current 12.9 iPad Pro so this is not for me, but it seems to me that the 11” Air will be the only 11” model going forward and the 12.9 being the only Pro iPad going forward. Which is why logitech, not a niche market player, brought their 11” keyboard option to the market.
I would guess going forward the 12.9 iPad Pro will share more than just the same prosessor with the new Apple Silicon Macs, but i would imagine software too.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Just don’t understand why someone would pick this up over a second hand iPad Pro 11 for roughly the same cost. Fast refresh > A14

For me, buying anything second-hand is a bit of a gamble and finding it refurbished officially from Apple is not easy here. As for the fast refresh, I have never tried it, so cannot actually know what I am missing.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Unless they're updating the Pro immediately to add TouchID and A14X (unlikely), it's going to be a very confusing choice for customers between the Air and Pro. Not a good place to be as an iPad buyer.

I can’t see this happening anytime soon, March at the earliest, especially with huge rumours flying around about miniLED which doesn’t enter mass production until the end of the year.

If they did happen to release an A14X version before the years through it will be quickly followed by a miniLED version, which again will put the consumer in a DO NOT BUY frame of mind.

From Apples perspective the iPad Pro is still selling extremely well at this stage and there is no need for another refresh with yet another refresh in the next 6-9 months (3 refreshes in a 12 month period seems absurd).

The only reason I can think of that Apple would refresh the iPad Pro this year with the A14X is to then release a miniLED version in March which is sold alongside for $200-$300 more (similar to how they done it with the MacBook Pro retina).

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have the current 12.9 iPad Pro so this is not for me, but it seems to me that the 11” Air will be the only 11” model going forward and the 12.9 being the only Pro iPad going forward. Which is why logitech, not a niche market player, brought their 11” keyboard option to the market.
I would guess going forward the 12.9 iPad Pro will share more than just the same prosessor with the new Apple Silicon Macs, but i would imagine software too.

I wouldn’t be surprised at this aswell, with perhaps a 15 inch version coming to market in the future...

Reactions: kltmom

meru890

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
Only worth buying if you get the 256GB storage option (64GB just isn’t enough IMO) and at £729 ($749), I still think your better off with an 11 inch pro 128GB option for an extra £40 ($50), or a second hand 2018/2020 one at a cheaper price.

This will give you a decent amount of storage as well as better speakers, screen, microphones, Face ID, cameras etc...

Granted your getting the A14 in the Air, but for marginal single core performance vs the A12Z (which is most likely the only benefit of the Air) it’s a no brainer to get the pro at this point.
Well as for me I'm getting my first iPad and I tend to lean to the air because it's cheaper. Got maxed out macbook pro and imac for work so speakers, camera, face ID, microphones don't really matter to me. I only intend to use it for taking notes and making sketches with the supported pencil 2. I would only buy a pro if the 120hz is really that much of a difference for drawing (have to test it). 64gb also plenty enough of storage, since I won't have much data on the device itself. I'm a designer / filmmaker and used to work with big files but they are always stored anyway on synology servers and external ssds.

Reactions: TropN and CosminM

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008

It's the cost of the iPad Pro's AppleCare+ that tips it in the Air's favour. When you account for that the difference is just over $200.

Reactions: Broadus

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
For me, buying anything second-hand is a bit of a gamble and finding it refurbished officially from Apple is not easy here. As for the fast refresh, I have never tried it, so cannot actually know what I am missing.

I have bought all of my iDevices except our 2020 SE and an Apple Watch from Swappa and never been disappointed. That’s 4 Air 2s, 3 iPhones, 3 Apple TVs, 2 IPP 10.5s, an iPad Mini 4, a S3 LTE, and a S0 watch.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Here is what I think the A series line up is gonna look across Apple devices going forward.

A14 - iPad Air
A14 X - iPhone 12
A14 Z - iPad Pro
A14 Y - Mac or the Mac could use a variant of the Z.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Just don't understand why someone would pick a second hand iPad Pro 11 (or even new) over this.
TouchID wins here. (and its cheaper)

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I am curious to know how good the power button finger print sensor is. I know a lot of people think this as a good solution, especially if it were to come on a full screen SE. IMO, a back sensor on a phone is a lot more ergonomic than on power button

Sounds like buyer's remorse is creeping in from the Air you purchased in July ;)

• Haha
Reactions: himanshumodi

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
They missed me as an instant buyer by not releasing it right away. Now I had time to think about it and came to the conclusion that I don’t actually need it (I have an old iPad Air 2 for the bedroom and the iPad Pro 10.5 for the living room but at that moment of the presentation I was like NEW COLORS I NEED THE BLUE!) unlike the Apple Watch Series 6, which I bought even though I owned the 5th cuz it was available almost instantly ?

Is this sarcastic? ?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I really dont understand why some members are saying that the 64gb does not have enough storage, when we can add usb c external storage easily. Is there something im missing, or is it just the extra step of plugging in the storage that people dont like?

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I really dont understand why some members are saying that the 64gb does not have enough storage, when we can add usb c external storage easily. Is there something im missing, or is it just the extra step of plugging in the storage that people dont like?
Who wants external storage on an ipad lol. Most people buy iPads for their simplicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.