Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
This happened to me, I had my 12.9 in my back pocket and I sat on a concrete wall. The cheap thing bent.

Reactions: GuruZac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is such a non-issue, and it’s like anything in this life, you take care of your property by using a proper case for your iPad and handle it like you would as an expensive tech product. Millions of iPad will be sold to customers who will likely never experience any type of bending, because you know why? They will be responsible with their iPad and use common sense.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
There is definitely an issue with this design, and I’ll delay my upgrade until a revision or update fixes this problem. There is no excuse for the new iPad Pros bending this easily.

kingax1

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
New York
They made the iPad Pro so damn thin that the camera lens protrudes pretty far out, and they couldn't even put an audio jack on it. This is the end result, an expensive toy that bends like a piece of cardboard. What's more, his scratch tests on the display and camera lens reveal that Apple isn't even using materials of a high enough quality to be commensurate with the price.

You should stick around, rumor is next iPad Pro iteration will be so skinny lean that face-ID sensors will be sticking out in the front too....but at least you can put your iPad on the table face down and the screen will stay clean.

Reactions: qtx43 and Marekul

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I just got my 12.9 today and of course I’m not going to try but from the feel of it it appears to me under normal use it’s pretty sturdy

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
I'm always a bit torn by these posts. On the one hand, an expensive device bending does seem a bit unnerving. But on the other hand, with a tablet you really do want it to be thin and portable (not such a priority on a laptop... Apple? Listening?), so how much rigidity can you reasonably expect? You could certainly reinforce it sufficiently... as long as you didn't put any electronics in it! Ha!

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
What statement would that be...
‘Stupid is as stupid does?’

Remember about this time last year when it came out that Apple was throttling phones when the battery degraded? No comments from Apple but once more and more sites and news outlets started picking up the story Apple basically had to make a statement about the situation. I can pretty much guarantee the weekend has just been cancelled for several Apple engineers who are having to run tests on this.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Wow! You mean a long thin thing can bend? You must be a genius.

It’s a sad thing that in this day and age people have absolutely no common sense at all.

For those who really accidentally bend it, I feel for them, but use a case and you will be fine

Dustin Lenzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Remember about this time last year when it came out that Apple was throttling phones when the battery degraded? No comments from Apple but once more and more sites and news outlets started picking up the story Apple basically had to make a statement about the situation. I can pretty much guarantee the weekend has just been cancelled for several Apple engineers who are having to run tests on this.
...Because YouTubers are bastions of ‘truthiness’ with no agendas or ulterior motives (clicks=$$$) at all??
And AAPL is a (recently) trillion dollar target...

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015

They already test the products. They just probably treat their electronics as, ... electronics. You know, the things that can break.

Reactions: Totemsflare

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
So it won't survive daily use, let alone professional use. Apple should give free premium leather cases with all of them from now on.
[doublepost=1542415543][/doublepost]
One thing is for sure, they don't bend on their own....
I want to see how they hold up for the average user in 3-6 months.

Bend-gate. :apple:

Reactions: Mal Blackadder

johnnygee

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
Get an expensive piece of electronics and abuse it until it fails. Makes absolutely no sense unless he's doing this to prove he's an immature clown. Judging by all the childish comments on the YouTube page associated with this video, he's a success.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
It's 10x more hilarious every time someone says this. Especially because that's not even a real quote.
It actually is still really funny. Only a thin skinned Apple fan boy will try to deny that.

Think about it. Steve Jobs. The CEO of a multi-billion dollar company releases what is supposed to be the most advanced smartphone ever made. Except it has one very obvious yet fatal design flaw. And what does Mr Job's do when confronted about that issue? -He accuses the users. Lol hwut? Because obviously THAT is the only logical conclusion.

I can somehow imagine Steve ranting about this in his office. "Well if those stupid f***ing customers would just hold the god damned device the way WEEE designed it, there wouldnt be a problem. f***s sake, god these idiots we deal with. I swear one day man, just one day I am gonna lose it".

And YES, I do believe the words were "you are holding it wrong". Yes he elaborated explaining something about being left handed, or holding it with your pinky in the wrong spot or something. But the general message was "well just dont f***ing hold it that way, problem solved dumba**".

Anyways so yes I do personally think it gets funnier every time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.