Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release a third-generation iPhone SE in the first quarter of 2022, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce. If this timeframe proves to be accurate, we can expect the device to be released by the end of March.

iPhone-SE-Cosmopolitan-Clean.png

As previously rumored, TrendForce said the new iPhone SE will remain a mid-range smartphone with added support for 5G:
In terms of product development, Apple is staying with the plan to release its third-generation iPhone SE in 1Q22 and four models under a new series in 2H22. The third-generation iPhone SE is expected to be a major instrument in helping Apple establish a presence in the market segment for mid-range 5G smartphones. Its production volume for 2022 is forecasted to reach 25-30 million units.
Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously claimed that the new iPhone SE will feature a similar design as the current model, which is based on the iPhone 8, with a 4.7-inch display, Touch ID home button, and thicker bezels. Kuo said key upgrades to the device would include 5G support and a faster processor — reportedly an A15 chip.

There have also been some rumors that Apple is working on a larger version of the iPhone SE, but that device is not expected to be released until 2023 or later.

The original iPhone SE was released in March 2016 and discontinued in September 2018. The second-generation iPhone SE launched in April 2020 and continues to be sold, with pricing set at $399 for 64GB of storage and $449 for 128GB of storage.

Article Link: New iPhone SE Reportedly on Track for Release in First Quarter of 2022

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Wish I renewed on June 2020 for the 2020 iPhone SE 64GB. So I'll be able to get the 2022 iPhone SE by June.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Hopefully, the prices of the SE iPhone will drop. It’s still too expensive. Also, get rid of 64GB, please. It should start from 128GB
It looked a lot more competitive when it launched in April 2020 with the same chip and base storage as the then-current iPhone 11 lineup (including iPhone 11 Pro!). It’s still the same price and storage capacities 20 months later, and it doesn’t look like such a value anymore.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I went from iPhone 6 to SE and couldn't be happier. I'm tempted to get the flagship phone next year just for the advancements in the cameras but to be honest, these SE are amazing.
TouchID is the best especially now when wearing the masks. :)
I hope they will keep this on 2 year cycle. Will be a win for most people who want a great device for great price

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
They should use the chasis for the X as the base for the SE model. Get rid of the dated look of the current SE. Apple is getting rid of the home button for pretty much everything else, might as well do it for the SE as well (or at least move it to the side in the power button like the ipad).

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Hopefully, the prices of the SE iPhone will drop. It’s still too expensive. Also, get rid of 64GB, please. It should start from 128GB
I think it will still start at 64 GB, and bumped up to 128 GB mid-cycle when the 12 series is dropped from the line-up so all iPhones start at 128 GB.

Reactions: Icaras

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I wonder if iPhone will use iPhone 13 Qualcomm modem or iPhone 12.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
A $400 base price for a phone with 5G and an A15 (if the rumors prove to be true) sounds like a good deal to me. Yes, you can get cheaper Android phones, but they are almost always underpowered devices.

WRT the storage, 128G seems likely. When Apple moved the main iPhones from 12 to 13, the base storage got bumped from 64G to 128G, so I would expect the same to happen here.

They should use the chasis for the X as the base for the SE model. Get rid of the dated look of the current SE. Apple is getting rid of the home button for pretty much everything else, might as well do it for the SE as well (or at least move it to the side in the power button like the ipad).
No comment about the look. I personally don't care about appearances.

As for the home button, a lot of people (myself included) prefer TouchID over FaceID. So I'm glad Apple is still shipping a model that offers it.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Still on the 2016 SE, but thinking of replacing the aging device.

I think the 13 Mini would be a better choice, as the SE2 is bigger than the SE1. The 13 Mini is closer in size.

I think I would miss the Touch ID and home button though.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
One thing I did notice that I found to be an immediate disappointment with the current SE - the screen size is actually smaller than that of my current iPhone 6s. That will have to change before I get this upcoming SE. Hopefully smaller bezels will do the trick.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012

X was one of the most expensive (lowest GM) designs.

Reactions: ouimetnick

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
No, thank you.

I appreciate all the people who know what I want better than I do, but I'm actually just fine with an enhanced iPhone 8.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Touch ID is the standard for Macs, so it's not going away in the near term.

Anyhow, last year I upgraded from an iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I still really miss Touch ID.

OTOH, I don't care about either Touch ID or Face ID on my recent Macs, since they're all unlocked by my Apple Watch. It's too bad I don't get Watch unlock on my iPad Pro though.

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
This is good news for a lot of folks, and I would also think that 64GB is still acceptable for a lot of people and Apple MIGHT keep that as an entry to keep price low but we shall see
I got the 128gb in 2020 when it came out (upping from 64gb seemed a bargain at £50 extra) - but to be honest, I’m such a light user, 64gb would have been more than enough.

Reactions: AvisDeene

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Why?? Can't Apple just keep the Mini in the upcoming generations and just dumb it down to meet their bottom line? With the Mini, you have a bigger screen, smaller chassis, and lighter weight vs. the 2nd gen. SE.

Right now, if you make the memory equal, it is only a $200 more with Mini. Most people who are going for a mid-range phone are more likely going to make monthly payments anyway.

Tightening the margin to $100 difference = $4.16 more per month, Courage Apple, courage...

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
X was one of the most expensive (lowest GM) designs.
Yes, when it was new. Already have the production in place to make it much cheaper (not like the SE is really that cheap for what you are getting anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.