Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

49erRedGold

Suspended
Dec 8, 2019
I wish they'd make a mac pro for the rest of us sub-humans that can't justify that kinda coin.

Well Mac Rumors members and the rest of the tech sites have only themselves to blame. Throwing tons of pressure at Apple to produce PRO machines for PROs since many people claimed they abandoned the pro market. Well Apple listened and they followed suit. Now some of you here are crying saying Apple went TOO pro. SMH.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016

Apple's new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR became available to order last week and, on schedule, the first deliveries to customers have begun. The photos below were shared by MacRumors forum member K. Johansen from Oregon.

new-mac-pro-delivered-800x524.jpg

As suspected, it appears the new Mac Pro is only assembled in Texas for orders placed in the United States, Canada, and other countries in the Americas. French blog MacGeneration has confirmed that a new Mac Pro delivered to a customer in France today has fine print indicating it was assembled in China.

new-mac-pro-assembled-in-china-label-800x553.jpg

The new Mac Pro starts at $5,999, while the Pro Display XDR retails for $4,999.

Article Link: New Mac Pro Deliveries Begin, European Orders 'Assembled in China'
Very disappointed when the news hype touted that the Mac Pro will be Made In USA. Corporate citizenship?

Geography and logistics matter.

Get over it.
I think Apple can afford to build the Mac Pro in the US, I assumed this was the case and the price tag could have been justified, given the overhead costs of resuming US manufacturing in this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGraphicD

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
My guess is they are both built in China, then some get the case cover(or some other part) removed and shipped to the USA. Then they slap the cover back on, and say "it was assembled in the USA". Car manufactures have been doing this for years.

actually minimum requirement is 3 screws.

• Wow
Reactions: xnu and dantroline

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
Sure, but that SGI machine, if it was real, was a lot of bespoke hardware plenty capable than anything you could buy off the shelf elsewhere. The new Mac Pro on the other hand doesn't have anything of significance, outside of the OS at least, that isn't completely off-the-shelf hardware.

It's really just an off-the-shelf CPU, and RAM, a PCIe SSD only so bespoke that you can't save money by literally buying replacement and upgrade parts off the shelf, a set of GPUs that again are only so bespoke that you can't save by buying them literally off the shelf in a somewhat off-the-wall case.

SGI workstations from back then came with bespoke CPUs, GPUs and a whole lot of other things with very large development costs. Those machines absolutely had some major development costs to recoup to develop all of that bespoke hardware. All of the genuinely expensive-to-develop components on the Mac Pro are completely off-the-shelf and available to Apple for not much more than the cost of manufacturing said components.

My machine at work (Ryzen Threadripper box with 64GB of ECC DDR4 RAM, Quadro RTX 6000 and 4000 GPUs, 2TB 970 Evo Plus SSD, etc.) basically kicks it's ass in just about every aspect and is cheaper too as soon as you begin bumping up the Mac Pro from it's paltry base spec (8 core CPU, single RX 580 GPU, 32GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD).
Yeah it's puzzling to see apple fans defend it like it's using some top secret hardware not available to anyone else. Until you start scaling to the very top end this is a bad buy, RX 580? ?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
you’ve obviously never used a professional workstation. My first was a Silicon Graphics Indigo system, circa 1995, costing $45,000 in 1995 dollars. $75k equivalent today.
Classic. One of the first stations I learned to grab still frames from motion picture reels was an SGI Indigo2 Impact R10000. Pretty amazing piece of machinery at the time.

Reactions: Onelifenofear

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
The base model is not $11k, actually. Plus, for the people this machine is targeted at, it’s actually not as outrageous as everyone says it is. It’s cheaper than some other computers with similar specs, and the build quality and performance are awesome. I wish people would stop complaining about the price, because for people who need this Mac, it’s not bad.

Not outrageous? Trying specking it right up in Australia and it's over $87,000!!!!!!!

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
And this so-called “pro” computer can’t even play RE2 remake or RDR2. Can’t even use it to stream my Twitch show. My gaming rig DESTROYS this pathetic excuse for a computer.

Ha! What a joker. Quotes a stupid games machine against something made to make money... shall we see who earns to most in the next year... your toy or my Mac Pro?
[automerge]1576540400[/automerge]
Interesting that a product assembled in and shipped from China, costs a UK buyer £2,000 more for the base Mac Pro and XDR Display (with stand) than it does for a US customer.

#Robbed

US Vat is added after the price and is different per state. Also UK import duty Is the Other issue. You can blame the current UK government for silently taming that up over the years.

urmaster

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2016
Not outrageous? Trying specking it right up in Australia and it's over $87,000!!!!!!!
Seems pretty poor to me. You can jump on titancomputers and spec up a dual epyc rome workstation with pretty much base specs for a similar price and walk away with something that runs rings around the mac.

2x Rome 7252 (16 cores, 32 threads)
Quadro P5000 16GB
32 GB ECC
Supermicro motherboard with Dual 10GB lan
Choice of intel or samsung ssds.

Now aside from Apple tax what you’re paying for here is a bit if engineering ingenuity. I’m a fan of the MPX module, the PCI spec seems to have failed to evolve with the growth of high performance gpus and I’m glad to see someone address this at least in the consumer space. The afterburner card equally as impressive (imagine that in an iMac or MacBook Pro). Lastly the thermal solution, pretty much seems close to water cooling solutions in terms of noise output without the associated drawbacks.

I like what they’ve done with the machine but they’ve priced it so far out they have left behind any sort of pro that isn’t into intense video workloads.
Photographers, programmers, 3D artists, why would any of these guys buy this machine?

Reactions: Brandhouse

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Yeah it's puzzling to see apple fans defend it like it's using some top secret hardware not available to anyone else. Until you start scaling to the very top end this is a bad buy, RX 580? ?
[automerge]1576537402[/automerge]
well this Apple fan will explain rather than defend cos it doesn’t need it.

Well it was too secret till it was announced.

the dual vega 2 GPUs are not available to anyone else and no motherboard has the connectors to allow the same sort of PCIE bridging.

Only server motherboards are capable of that sort of ram and they don’t have 8 PCIE slots.

or a 1.4kw PSU.

or an afterburner card

the 580x is perfectly adequate for musicians who don’t need more graphics

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
^ Cork, Ireland is just a tax haven and a place to say where silicone cases are made.
Technically, Apple Cork is the only manufacturing plant owned by Apple in the world, from what I’ve read. And, to be fair, Apple has been based in Cork since 1980 and employs over 5,000 people there. It’s got a lot more to do than be some excuse for tax avoidance! Never been to it, but it’s high on my Bucket List...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My guess is they are both built in China, then some get the case cover(or some other part) removed and shipped to the USA. Then they slap the cover back on, and say "it was assembled in the USA". Car manufactures have been doing this for years.
Wouldn’t that be illegal or something?

Lalatoon

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2019
And what's wrong with trying to avoid paying tax as much as possible? Everyone in every country that has to pay tax will try to avoid paying as much as possible. I doubt a single human being in this world would be willing to pay as much tax as possible to the government.
Because tax is what makes the government afloat. :) Without it you don't have a functioning government. Normal people are paying their fair share of tax to make the countries economy moving and for that a trillion dollar company should not run away from its responsibility.

Reactions: martyjmclean

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Because tax is what makes the government afloat. :) Without it you don't have a functioning government. Normal people are paying their fair share of tax to make the countries economy moving and for that a trillion dollar company should not run away from its responsibility.
Normal people are taking advantage of all the deductibles and credits they qualify for. They aren’t paying extra tax that they aren’t legally required to.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I’m not sure what would make an American assembled Mac Pro better than one assembled in China. I don’t think most of you realize how little skill these types of jobs require. I understand not everyone can be a rocket scientist, but bringing these types of jobs back does nothing except increase prices. Automation is the only feasible way to do “made in America” at a large scale in my opinion.

49erRedGold

Suspended
Dec 8, 2019

While your'e acting so sanctimonious ? are you saying that when you do (if you're qualified to pay taxes) your taxes you look for the maximum amount of taxes you need to pay? Another part to this question is are you saying you don't include anything on your taxes to create a deduction in what you owe or to help increase the amount of refund you get?

vailr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Where I live, I pay 7% sales tax, which would put the base model Mac Pro at $6419 USD. The state of Tennessee has the highest currently and the cost there would be $6,567.00.
Many U.S. locations have state, county and local (city) sales taxes.
Which combined would total higher than "the state of Tennessee has the highest".
Example: New York City, NY Zip Code 10242 sales tax rate is 8.88%.
http://www.salestaxstates.com/sales-tax-calculator-new_york-new_york_city-10242

Reactions: NetMage

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
you’ve obviously never used a professional workstation. My first was a Silicon Graphics Indigo system, circa 1995, costing $45,000 in 1995 dollars. $75k equivalent today.
Whwn I say this computer is cheap, many people look at me with crazy eye...

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Please stop! Clearly you don't understand this machine nor what is it used for so your post is embarrassing.
At your age I would expect that you know better. Clearly has a lot to learn, still.....

The last post did make me laugh. Does he think Apple, HP, Dell and all the other workstation makers create these computers for fun.

The best thing about the whole situation is this guy doesnt realise professional people spend $8 - $10k on software per workstation [at least they do in my world]. Freeware....... unbelievable.

Macs4u

Suspended
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Yes, but sales taxes in the US are far lower than Britain's VAT. Britain is also a very expensive place to do business. If the British wish to stretch their pound further and improve their lot in life they should kill the VAT and take other measures to make their country a better place to do business. If Britain were a state it would be the poorest state in the union, bases on per capita income. What's worse is that the cost of living in Britain is much higher than in the US. I don't understand why Britons allow their elites to get away with this nonsense.

The UK is indeed now a crazy expensive place to live. Property around my home town has tripled in the last 10yrs.
What are we to do? The elite? Who are they? How do you rebel? It’s impossible. We are so monitored now and freedom of speech is so stifled that the only way out, is to get out of the uk.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
The UK is indeed now a crazy expensive place to live. Property around my home town has tripled in the last 10yrs.
What are we to do? The elite? Who are they? How do you rebel? It’s impossible. We are so monitored now and freedom of speech is so stifled that the only way out, is to get out of the uk.

go where exactly? Grass is never greener and I am talking from direct experience as someone who got out [and am still out]. There are many positives and negatives, but I would say have a look at the prices around the globe before you complain too much.

Abyway I think the price of the Mac Pro is fair for those who need the capabilities of it. I have no issues at all with that, but would hope they release a smaller version, like the difference between a 13 & 16” MBP. I don’t need the power of the Mac Pro but I do need more than a mini, and I am over the all in one solution of the iMac Pro [and I can’t stand the bezel for some reason]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.